• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns IWB holster recommendations

Jester8

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2006
Bis. No.Dak.
I've been looking around at different IWB holsters. Comp-tac Minotaur, Crossbreed, etc. I will be obtaining my CC Permit later on this month. I would like to know what type of holsters you folks who have been carrying for awhile prefer, and then I will check those out.

Specifically I am wanting to know what is most comfortable to you, where you carry (back of hip, appendex, side of hip), what is most concealable. Do you have to buy pants a size bigger? I have a XD 9 that I will be carrying. I am completely new to this so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have used all kinds of holsters over the years and in turn have a box full quality holsters sitting on my gun rack. For IWB use the ones that I have found to be most useful are my Raven Concealment Phantom, Bravo Concealment Drop Out of Sight, and my Comp-Tac Spartan. All are perfectly useable for EDC. The one I use most is the Comp-Tac and I use this due to comfort. The Raven is equally comfortable, but is not made for my carry gun. And the Bravo Concealment is easiest to draw from but not as comfortable as my Comp-Tac.

As for the rest of the question. Yes I buy a size up in pants and I carry in the 4 o'clock position. For my body type this is the most comfortable and concealable position. But this is something that is unque for every shooter. Some guys find apendix works best for them while others find shoulder rigs work best for their purposes. The question of how carries depends on things like body type, style of dress, and how deep one needs to carry. But the most important thing to remember is to carry often and try to be as consistant as you can about the manner in which you carry. Obviously there will be time when you will have to change your method of carry but as a rule of thumb you should be able to to carry in the same manner 90% of the time or more.

Last edited:
I personally prefer Bladetech IWB holsters. They have a good selection of kydex for not too much money. It also helps they are a local company to me but either way their customer service is fantastic in my opinion.

I've settled on the Comp Tac Minatour. Quite comfortable for me. I usually carry about 4 o'clock unless I'm traveling long distance.

Comptac. Infidel and minatour are solid choices. One thing I've discovered is that the easier to put on the better. That's why I ike the infidel. Simple and easy.

Everything Longshot38 mentioned in his post is worth noting. With that said, my recommendation is for the INCOG IWB holster made by G-code. it offers the ability to be carried in all of the possible IWB positions comfortably and an extra magazine if you so choose that option. I am also a fan of the Raven Concealments Vanguard appendix carry for Glocks but it is a very minimal system and may not be for everyone. Here is a link to the G-code INCOG
http://www.tacticalholsters.com/product/INC/INCOG.html

I went with a bullhide double layer belt from "The beltman" and a Milt Sparks VM2. They are defiantly both well worth the money and the weight. It is easy and comfortable to carry my 3 inch 1911 all day.

Walter

Will a "regular" belt hold up, or will I have to get a belt that is made for carrying? Thanks.

A reinforced belt is always best and plenty of good sources for these exist. Blade Tech is about the best deal going in this department, but Comp-Tac and The Beltman are good more expensive options as well. If nylon is more your style the Wilderness Tactical has reinforced belts in this configuration as well.

Thanks for the replies. I have decided to go with the Comp-tac Minotaur MTACS. I looked at numerous reviews from many different sites along with the Hide, and that seemed to get a lot of peoples votes. I guess if it doesn't work out for me I could always sell it. Now to look at your guys belt recommendations. Thanks again!

PerSecSystems has some excellent Kydex holsters and related gear. For comfort, they recommend spreading the hooks as far as possible. They have common models available as "Ready Now" gear, as long as you like black.