• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Jacket choice?

Look at Stone Glacier too. Great people and products! I've built 2 rifles for the owner. They're coming out with new stuff all the time.

Reactions: RushReider
So, here’s a super quick specific guide, something I might wear. I’m assuming you’ll be in 30-60F? Rain, maaaaybe snow? You don’t need an insulated outer layer because it’ll get too hot when moving, and if you take it off you then might be too cold.

Again, this is quick and I’m just using Kuiu because I’m in a hurry. Use any company you like, I don’t own any Kuiu, but it has a good rep. Don’t have time to link up everything. Use Fleet Farm hunting gear to save money, but focus on the same attributes.

• Outer shell jacket and pants: must be durable, you’re not hiking so it so it doesn’t need to be super light: Yukon Rain Gear Set Unknown: how silent does this stuff need to be? Some hunting gear is specifically made to be quiet, bow hunting stuff especially. You want to go cheap? Like obscenely cheap? Like people-will-laugh-but-it-will-work? Frogg Toggs and throw them away if ruined (45F-60F). Do not buy “rain slicker” stuff unless you just stand in the rain, as you’ll explode in a puff of smoke if you start running.
  • Heavy-weight top: fleece, wool, or something like the Kuiu KENAI 3DEFX+ JACKET but with tougher elbows. Maybe like the Guide DCS? Has to have a full zip and pit zips, for under shell for standing around. Probably good if it is wind resistant if you use it for an outer layer, which means it should have abrasion resistant wear points. Must go up the neck for warmth. Maybe with a hood.
  • Mid-weight long sleeve zip-t. Can be used only under shell when windy and cold but you have to be active (note: in this specific case, shell does not mean Frogg Toggs). Or, use under shell and heavy-weight sweater (Frogg Toggs ok).
  • Another backup heavy-weight top layer just in case
  • Light-weight top base layer, long or short sleeve, depends on how cold a person you are. I might just skip this, myself.
  • Consider a fleece vest, especially if very active
  • Two or three bottom long underwear, lighter weight, and add or subtract as needed
  • Tough synthetic pants, maybe VERY lightly insulated. If not raining, might be able to get away with these+long underwear and leave rain pants in pack. Good to have lots of storage pockets. Integrated knee pads. Wind resistant as a pair of flannel-lined Carhartt pants are (not windproof, as they’ll be too hot). Basically synthetic version of flannel-lined Carhartt pants, only with cargo pockets.
  • Insulated hunting boots and medium weight socks (like elk hunting boots, not pack-boots like Sorels)
  • Warm hat
  • Lighter weight hat (Outdoor Research Windpro)
  • Rain hat, like OR Seattle Sombrero
  • Gloves, with the option to expose trigger fingers
  • Backpack
  • Seating pad
  • Thermos
  • Chemical hand/feet warmers, mainly for the hands in the temps I listed above.
Edit: if you’re going to be in mud, well, good luck. I am not an expert on dealing with the that. Maybe talk to some Vietnam vets lol.
Thanks this was extremely helpful especially with pointing out that I might not use a parka as often as I think, and the point of finding some synthetic pants that have some durability.

Reactions: carbonbased
kifaru pull over coats are the bees knees. And a gortex shell (issued) type on top will cover you though anything down to the point where you use the level 7 and bunny boots.

I have the experimental nee ECWCS level 7 set and when they come…I would definately try getting your hands on one.

kifaru pull over coats are the bees knees. And a gortex shell (issued) type on top will cover you though anything down to the point where you use the level 7 and bunny boots.

I have the experimental nee ECWCS level 7 set and when they come…I would definately try getting your hands on one.
I really like this kifaru company the only things they seem to have though are insulated parka, pants, and a woobie? Do they have a soft shell jacket, synthetic pants, or anything else yet?

Thanks this was extremely helpful especially with pointing out that I might not use a parka as often as I think, and the point of finding some synthetic pants that have some durability.
I have been a ski bum in Colorado for years and never used anything all winter for downhill skiing but a goretex uninsulated shell, synthetic sweater, and a mid- or lightweight long sleeve zip-t on top (skipping the sweater when +30°F), and on the bottom goretex uninsulated shell pants and 0-3 thin long underwear bottoms. Plus a hat and gloves, of course.

X-C skiing involves much less clothing as it’s much more exercise intensive.

Colorado is mild, usually 10°-45°F in the winter, with a day or two of -20°F (didn’t bother to ski then, had enough of skiing in that crap in MN).

For me, anyway, insulated parkas are for either low-to-no activity or sub-zero stuff. Nobody has called me unusually warm or cold, so…

Last edited:
@RushReider bottom line is you need to figure out how much standing around vs running you’re going to do. If you are unsure, pack a crap-ton, leave it in the hotel/car and see how the event plays out. Then you have options.

Think of NFL players. When it’s cold out, on the sidelines they don a big insulated cape which they throw off when they get on the field.

You can bring a big parka for standing around, and stash it when you need to run. That’s what I’d do if I knew I’d be standing for hours at 30-40°F. In fact I’ll add that to my prev recce.

Last edited:
Been a minute since this has been up, but didn't see the need to open up a new thread for it.

I'm looking specifically for a good all around shell jacket. Good abrasion resistance for the woods and farm, good rain protection for general to heavy rain situations (not crazy storms). Does not need to be lightweight, I have a light pullover rain coat for backpacking. This would be a more all around general work shell for fall/winter/spring, where I can layer appropriately under neath for the weather.

I backpack a lot so I have a ton of layers, and a good Kuhl puff jacket. I live in Ohio, so around 0* is the coldest it gets reasonably.

Looking for just a few good brands to check out. Under $300, prefer to be closer to $200.

Reactions: Gustav7
Been a minute since this has been up, but didn't see the need to open up a new thread for it.

I'm looking specifically for a good all around shell jacket. Good abrasion resistance for the woods and farm, good rain protection for general to heavy rain situations (not crazy storms). Does not need to be lightweight, I have a light pullover rain coat for backpacking. This would be a more all around general work shell for fall/winter/spring, where I can layer appropriately under neath for the weather.

I backpack a lot so I have a ton of layers, and a good Kuhl puff jacket. I live in Ohio, so around 0* is the coldest it gets reasonably.

Looking for just a few good brands to check out. Under $300, prefer to be closer to $200.
around general work

I would look at some of the military surplus stuff from the countries where it gets cold and the wind blows. Puffers are OK but one run in with a barbed wire fence and you can get out the duct tape.

For the money , you can't beat ECWS parkas....

I'll take a look but when I think Parka, I think insulated....am I wrong there?

This jacket would be used in all fall/winter/spring temps, so anything from 50 down to 0 or lower. Then I would just layer appropriately to fit the weather, so I'd prefer a true shell style jacket with no, or very little insulated layer at all.

For reference, I'm unfortunately not a warm blooded person, specifically in my hands and feet. Not sure if Ranger School fucked my nerves in my hands and feet but anything 40 or below and my hands go numb pretty quick. To help with this, I try to buy top layers with the extended sleeve and thumb holes so it covers half my hand. On top of being a cold boy, I sweat heavily too lol. Backpacking has led me to high quality layering system, I just don't have a good shell.

EDIT: I'd prefer to stay away from the "lightweight" backpacking rainjackets. I do a lot running around in the woods and on the farm, so something with a ripstop or more robust/strong material is preferred.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hobo Hilton

Or

There’s a Wyldefire hoody but can’t find it on their website. Scheels had it in store. It would be my recommendation.

I was looking at their Kollusion jacket... https://www.kuhl.com/kuhl/mens/outerwear/ms-kollusion/

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
I'll take a look but when I think Parka, I think insulated....am I wrong there?

Edit, blah blah blah .

EDIT: I'd prefer to stay away from the "lightweight" backpacking rainjackets. I do a lot running around in the woods and on the farm, so something with a ripstop or more robust/strong material is preferred.
The ECWS jacket is a GoreTex shell. Front zip. They also have pit zips for ventilation. They're intended to be used as a rugged wind/weather barrier to a layering system. Look for the GoreTex Surplus units.
It's a three layer GoreTex, I believe.
As for your numbness...look up Reynaud's Syndrome and see if your symptoms match up.
If it is, there are thing you can do to help deal with it. Also, any gloves you choose to wear should have zero compression. Even the tightness of a disposable surgical glove can quickly inhibit blood flow in your hands. More so if you have a circulatory issue.
Do your hands go numb when you sleep?

here’s a link

Last edited:
Reactions: Gustav7
The ECWS jacket is a GoreTex shell. Front zip. Intended as a weather barrier to a layering system. Look for the GoreTex Surplus units.
It's a three layer GoreTex, I believe.
As for your numbness...look up Reynaud's Syndrome and see if your symptoms match up.
If it is, there are thing you can do to help deal with it. Also, any gloves you choose to wear should have zero compression. Even the tightness of a disposable surgical glove can quickly inhibit blood flow in your hands. More so if you have a circulatory issue.

I do like the ECWS systems, but in the past, I've had issues with surplus, and my issued gear not holding up. Now if the life span of the ECWS is 1-3yrs and thats just expected, then understandable. But I was hoping to find something that'd last me a bit longer... and I'm assuming I'll have to pay accordingly. If that 5+ yrs for a shell jacket is unrealistic, then I guess it is what it is. To be clear, I'm not a mountain guide so I'm not super hard on jackets, but point remains the same.

I've heard of Reynards but haven't looked into it. By Florida phase (3/3 phase) in Ranger School, all my toes and my finger tips were numb. My 4 finger tips and my big toe remained numb or partly numb for almost 3 months after school. From that point on, It felt like my hands just never performed well when it got cold. I started doing cold showers/cold water exposure about 5 months ago to attempt to help, and it seems to have actually helped my feet a little, but my hands are horrible.

I’ve used my ECWS jacket for about 10 years in and around the barn and in really crappy western Oregon winter shooting matches when I don't want to use my better kit.

As an alternative, have a look at Beyond Clothing

More $$ and look at Forloh.
They have a 20% sale right now.

Made in the USA.

Awesome coat.

After intensely reviewing and looking over Beyond Clothing's Arx 2.0 L6 rain coat and Forloh's AllClima 3L I went with Forloh. The 20% off Vday sale brought it back down to the same price as the Beyond Arx Jacket. The Forloh seems like its a better exterior material with ALOT of reviews saying how soft and quiet it is. I wasn't too sure on the "toughness" factor as Beyond's Arx talks alot on their website about how tough the jacket is, but there were probably 5-6 reviews on the Forloh's page from Alaskan hunters or guides talking specifically about how tough it was, so took that as a testament to it.

The Forloh comes in at 170gm/m2 while the Beyond was 140gm/m2, so it appears the Forloh is heavier as well, which hopefully translates to toughness and durability (although not always).

Being 100% sourced and made in the US is always a plus too. Thanks for the suggestion

Reactions: powdahound76
You will be happy I think.
i use their softshell jacket.

Dry in rain so far with just it. No heavy downpours, but 20-30 min of precip beyond a drizzle a few times.
Very durable.
Was 30% off at their Independence Day sale.
Awesome when a US made coat is cheaper than China owned Arcteryx. 😁

That lower price Beyond jacket is close in price, and pretty sure it is made overseas.

You will be happy I think.
i use their softshell jacket.

Dry in rain so far with just it. No heavy downpours, but 20-30 min of precip beyond a drizzle a few times.
Very durable.
Was 30% off at their Independence Day sale.
Awesome when a US made coat is cheaper than China owned Arcteryx. 😁

That lower price Beyond jacket is close in price, and pretty sure it is made overseas.

Ya I've never owned Arcteryx, and apparently I've also never realized they're made in China either lol, which is insane given the prices.

I thought Beyond Clothing was US made, but I'm sure they get materials from overseas.

I'm happy with Forloh purchase, we'll see how it holds up.

Reactions: powdahound76
ArcTeryx LEAF was Berry compliant. Their consumer goods were made all over Asia.
The problem is that it's now wholly owned by a Chinese company.

I picked up one of these at the beginning of November and haven't been kind to it...yet it still keeps ticking.
It's hard to beat for the price. $105...

Last edited:
ArcTeryx LEAF was Berry compliant. Their consumer goods were made all over Asia.
The problem is that it's now wholly owned by a Chinese company.

Ya thats what I meant by finding out the other day. I was in a local REI and was looking at their 3L rain coat that was $400+ and it says Made in China right on the tag lol.

With the discount, I got the Forloh AllClima 3L jacket for $300 even with free shipping. I watched a few videos and it has to be one of the most thought out jackets I've ever used.

In too late but this is also an option for someone that might be looking for something similar. While I have the Mark V and highly recommended it, they also have a winter soft shell jacket.

The real deal
wow, not letting me post link and keeps trying to make it into 'media'.
Add https://www to the front of this.
.amazon.com/ECWCS-GENERATION-Digital-Weather-Medium/dp/B00JJWEB96/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=ecwcs%2Blevel%2B7&qid=1644876080&sr=8-9&th=1&psc=1

Both jackets are great. Which one did you choose? I also hate the pain of choice. Not so long ago I had a wedding. It took me a very long time to choose a suit. I found several suitable options on the site https://www.gentlemansguru.com/product-category/wedding-tuxedos/ and suffered for a whole month. My wife liked the burgundy suit, and I liked the black one. As a result, we argued and could not decide which tuxedo to choose for a long time. It was very painful, and in the end, we chose a black suit because it was prettier and fit much better.

Last edited:
Both jackets are great. Which one did you choose?

With the discount, I got the Forloh AllClima 3L jacket for $300 even with free shipping. I watched a few videos and it has to be one of the most thought out jackets I've ever used.

Update to my last post, the jacket has performed flawlessly. I recently had my sump pump in my outdoor septic go out during a thunderstorm at 11pm. Spent about 2 hours outside in pouring rain with my hands in shit water fixing everything. I was soaked from the waist down and a little around my neck, but basically 90% of what the jacket covered was good to go. Didn't even feel wet on the inside. Pretty stellar performance. Very tough jacket so far too.