• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

JAE or McMillan for M1a

m1a convert

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2003
Idaho Falls
I am building an M1a and am wondering what stock to get.

the McMillian is lots less expensive.

Can the JAE stock deliver the accuracy that a McMillan stock that is bedded can?

Which would you choose and why?

Re: JAE or McMillan for M1a

imho a good fitting factory stock works really well. its lighter than the "upgrade" stocks and i get minute of zombie from mine. id say with an mia accuracy is more a product of good barrel, tight fitting or unitized gas block, and sweet trigger, than furniture quality within reason of course. some will argue for the addition of bolting in the reciever to a custom stock but ive seen custom guns shoot crappy compared to my factory "loaded" gun and i think with m1a's they just vary from gun to gun. i have noticed groups better when fed chamber direct than from the magazine. ive also noted change of poi from one stock to another and also in same stock when taken off and put back on. in the end i think one should follow their inclinations first then adjust if thats not working. id just say that the custom rigs ive seen are safe queens due to weight. just two cents.

M1a's can be very fickle with accuracy.
The JAE is the nicest looking stock that I've seen for the M1a but the weight would be an issue for me.
It has an all aluminum bedding system I believe.

I think the biggest issue with an M1a is the bedding. Taking the action in and out for cleaning and repair kills the accuracy for the rifle. So leave it in the stock as much as possible.

Cut

m1a convert== I have both stocks on premium (krieger) barreled actions. Both stocks have advantages. The McMillan is the ultimate for match shooting. I have a scope on the jae100 and i'ts awesome for plinking and tactical shooting. When properly bedded the McMillan will shoot as good as any other system. The advantage of the jae100 is the aluminum bedding block and the ability to remove the action more easily than the McMillan. If you dont plan on shooting highpower matches get an LRB M25 receiver (so that you solve the scope mounting problem)a Krieger bbl, quality optic (nightforce 3.5-15x50 (npr1)and stuff it into a jae100 gen2 and get to shooting. You will never regret it.