• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

JAE

Nathan Gravitt

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2018
Lynchburg, Va
So I know that MDT appears to FINALLY be dropping the latest model of the JAE chassis, and I have seen the short video of one from shot show. Looks like maybe they are dropping the LA model in the second half of 2022. Anyone know when the short action model will drop and what the MAP or MSRP will be? I had a JAE once and wish that I never sold it.

Disclaimer: I have never touched a JAE in my life, so I'm speaking from complete ignorance, but I have a hard time seeing the appeal of these for anything other than prone due to its design. I know people love these chassis' but what is it that people love so much? I want to be educated on this. They seem like, a 2017 design that keeps getting more knick knacks added on to it but the ergonomics of it is outdated. Maybe I'm wrong bc I have only seen maybe 1 in person before and never have had the opportunity to touch one. Someone enlighten me, please.

Reactions: ma smith
B3C3990E-4D33-489E-96EE-05097F9F6689.jpeg
4C3138E3-7D61-40DA-A0ED-738C94B3A7F5.jpeg
E8AE5A36-F647-440D-9D61-45FE609928E0.jpeg
The ergonomics are phenomenal. They really do blur the lines between stock and chassis. The original rubber grip was so comfortable, but the grip angle was more conducive to to prone shooting so I sacrificed a bit of comfort for the function of the MK Machining near vertical grip. Now apparently you can have both. The modularity was at the time something that no one else was doing. Other companies seem to have caught up, no doubt. The only thing it doesn’t have that I wish it did is vertical and cant adjustments on the butt pad.
It’s the only, “chassis” I have, because apparently I spend all my money on Japanese beef, but I’ve shot a few belonging to other people and nothing is as comfortable to wrap your hand around.
I’ve only shot one rimfire PRS match so I’m hardly what you would consider a competition shooter, but I’m working my way into and practicing with purpose for my move to the states. I definitely don’t feel the chassis is holding me back.

Disclaimer: I have never touched a JAE in my life, so I'm speaking from complete ignorance, but I have a hard time seeing the appeal of these for anything other than prone due to its design. I know people love these chassis' but what is it that people love so much? I want to be educated on this. They seem like, a 2017 design that keeps getting more knick knacks added on to it but the ergonomics of it is outdated. Maybe I'm wrong bc I have only seen maybe 1 in person before and never have had the opportunity to touch one. Someone enlighten me, please.
When you finally get behind one, you'll understand lol. Easily the most comfortable and ergonomically sound chassis I have ever used. The only complaint I have ever heard ergonomically speaking is from the people that prefer a more vertical grip. @Tyler Kemp solved that issue for us on the existing models. And now, MDT has fully addressed that with the new model that is coming out.

Is it a full form competition chassis by today’s standards of purpose built PRS chassis? No, but it’s a pretty outstanding tactical system with a good degree of tunability.

Reactions: SniperBro
I'd like to shoot one sometime.

Along with what others have said about having to get behind one to see how comfortable they are to get behind. They have an adjustment to adjust how tight the mag well is, and as a result, you can shoot AI or AW mags, also has an adjustment for the mag latch to make it fit tighter or looser, and the cheek riser will come off with a latch for easy cleaning.

I do agree that other companies have caught up and that I will have to admit that I am not a chassis fan. Personal preference plays a big role in all of this

Never bought one due to the price but they are very comfortable to use. If you see one at the range, ask to check it out.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
It’s a phenomenal chassis. My only complaint has always been the proprietary rails. MDT looks to be addressing that.
They seem to have and parts are already available for old style from MDT. I have ordered some and received them.

They seem to have and parts are already available for old style from MDT. I have ordered some and received them.
Very limited parts are available. Most are not. I spoke with Lisa about a week ago. Eventually they will be available, but not yet. I believe all you can get right now is the Arca, mono-pod rail and one other thing. Still can't get grips, cheek piece, side rails, butt pad, palm rests spacers, LOP spacers etc.

They do. I’ve ordered from them. But it would be nice to not have to rely on their willingness to continue making parts for the legacy chassis. At some point it won’t make sense anymore

Very limited parts are available. Most are not. I spoke with Lisa about a week ago. Eventually they will be available, but not yet. I believe all you can get right now is the Arca, mono-pod rail and one other thing. Still can't get grips, cheek piece, side rails, butt pad, palm rests spacers, LOP spacers etc.
Night vision bridge. Some rail pieces and the arcs rail.

Picked up 4" and 9" side pic rails is all so far

They do. I’ve ordered from them. But it would be nice to not have to rely on their willingness to continue making parts for the legacy chassis. At some point it won’t make sense anymore
That's always an issue anytime you deal with something proprietary. The only thing I can say is that we really don't have to rely on them with the amount of technology that is out there. There are already alternatives for the grip that I mentioned earlier on in this thread. The side rails are able to be machined and installed, ones that are not proprietary. The spacers and palm rest can easily be printed and replicated and the butt pad can't be any harder than any of that. Yes it would be easier and quicker if these were continuously produced, but it's not the end of the world if something else happens.

Reactions: jinxx4ever
But it would be nice to not have to rely on their willingness to continue making parts for the legacy chassis. At some point it won’t make sense anymore
To my surprise, the chassis that they showed at SHOT (saw a vid posted here, right?) still used what looked like a lot of the same parts that I would have expected to go by the wayside.

Same butt pad...looks like....and the grip, while more vertical, appears to fit the chassis same as the OG one.

Be of interest as to whether their shortened cheek piece is backward compatible but I would be surprised if its not. Mounting looks similar from what little we could see.

Wonder why they shortened the cheek piece? It certainly appears molded and if they had the mold for the OG one, why change as molds are very $$.

To my surprise, the chassis that they showed at SHOT (saw a vid posted here, right?) still used what looked like a lot of the same parts that I would have expected to go by the wayside.

Same butt pad...looks like....and the grip, while more vertical, appears to fit the chassis same as the OG one.

Be of interest as to whether their shortened cheek piece is backward compatible but I would be surprised if its not. Mounting looks similar from what little we could see.

Wonder why they shortened the cheek piece? It certainly appears molded and if they had the mold for the OG one, why change as molds are very $$.
MDT already said the grip is different and from the looks of it so is the rail system

Ergonomics are great, considered by some (myself included), to be the most "comfortable" chassis to get behind.

Works great for shooting off of barricades, and the flat wide forend sits perfectly on barricade bags.

The skins are nice, and the chassis never really gets that cold with them.

The ability to adjust mag fitment is a really nice touch and attention to detail.

The accessories available for them are really well thought out. For example, the ARCA rails are designed in such a manner that they don't flex beyond the chassis - pretty much no other ARCA rail was designed to be stiff enough to not flex past the chassis/stock.

I could go on and on. It's a very well designed chassis that's also built well. And the design was very forward thinking. Even though it was designed years ago, it's still just as relevant as any other chassis made today.

I do wish that the LOP could be shorter, and the butt pad could be adjusted vertically. I also wish that the cheek piece had a rapid adjust - it's a minor nusiance having to wheel the cheek pad down for cleaning.

It's certainly not perfect, but in my humble eyes, it's the most perfect chassis currently out there.

Ergonomics are great, considered by some (myself included), to be the most "comfortable" chassis to get behind.

Works great for shooting off of barricades, and the flat wide forend sits perfectly on barricade bags.

The ability to adjust mag fitment is a really nice touch and attention to detail.

The accessories available for them are really well thought out. For example, the ARCA rails are designed in such a manner that they don't flex beyond the chassis - pretty much no other ARCA rail was designed to be stiff enough to not flex past the chassis/stock.

I could go on and on. It's a very well designed chassis that's also built well. And the design was very forward thinking. Even though it was designed years ago, it's still just as relevant as any other chassis made today.

I do wish that the LOP could be shorter, and the butt pad could be adjusted vertically. I also wish that the cheek piece had a rapid adjust - it's a minor nusiance having to wheel the cheek pad down for cleaning.

It's certainly not perfect, but in my humble eyes, it's the most perfect chassis currently out there.
Non pistol grip. I would say the JP APAC is pretty perfect too

Non pistol grip. I would say the JP APAC is pretty perfect too
I actually like the JAE grip. But of course that's personal preference.

I can see how some would want a more vertical grip, and it looks like the new JAE addresses that. I would like to try the new grip against the old grip side by side.

I have to honestly agree with all of this. I am also in agreement on the grip, it just works very well for me.

Reactions: kthomas
I actually like the JAE grip. But of course that's personal preference.

I can see how some would want a more vertical grip, and it looks like the new JAE addresses that. I would like to try the new grip against the old grip side by side.
I didn’t mean to imply I didn’t like the JAE grip, I actually love it. I was saying that as far as traditional stocks/chassis go the JAE is damn near perfect. For the newer pistol grip style chassis, the JP is my favorite right now.

MDT already said the grip is different and from the looks of it so is the rail system
Uh yeah, I know that Josh said that about the grip, but I was surprised to see the pic of the chassis at SHOT and the outside contour and fastener locations appear identical.

They shortened the cheek piece due to shortening the LOP. Supposedly it’s going to start at roughly 12” to accommodate ladies and youth shooters.

Reactions: Tokay444
They shortened the cheek piece due to shortening the LOP. Supposedly it’s going to start at roughly 12” to accommodate ladies and youth shooters.
Yeah, that..in turn..shortened the part of the chassis behind the grip so new grip….while it looks very similar and seems to have the same attachment point…will not fit on OG chassis.

I’m sure they did trade off studies and market research but I should think there is a far larger installed base of OG JAE chassis w owners wanting to replace parts or change color on the furniture than there will be women and children clamoring for a quite expensive chassis.

It’s a bold move to strand your installed base.

Yeah, that..in turn..shortened the part of the chassis behind the grip so new grip….while it looks very similar and seems to have the same attachment point…will not fit on OG chassis.

I’m sure they did trade off studies and market research but I should think there is a far larger installed base of OG JAE chassis w owners wanting to replace parts or change color on the furniture than there will be women and children clamoring for a quite expensive chassis.

It’s a bold move to strand your installed base.
There's a plan in the works to hopefully solve the OG chassis replacement parts issue. I'll be posting a thread with info and to gauge interest in the next couple of weeks.

I currently have and shoot with different barreled actions, MDT, 2 manners, 2 MPA comps & 1 matrix, 2 foundations, and 2 J Allen’s. I’ll take the J Allen everyday and twice on Sunday, it’s just that good to get behind. I’ll order one of the new ones when they become available. I just hope they’re as good as the original

Well, when you spend $2k on a chassis you’ll find reasons to love it.

I’ve been behind a few and I thought they were nice, but not that nice.

I've always wanted a J Allen Chassis since the first time I saw one. I was at a local gun shop last year talking to a guy and he showed me a picture of one of his rifles....I was like "is that a JAE 700 chassis?", he was like "yeah, I'm gonna sell it".....I was like "I'll buy it"- He wanted $900, I offered $800, we settled on $850. I LOVE it. Has a Remington 700 (.223) with Proof Research carbon barrel. I recently sold the optic and mount. Replacing it with a Spuhr and XTR Pro

Attachments

• JAE 700.png
    JAE 700.png
    525 KB · Views: 1,446
I had one on my LRB M14, and a buddy put one on his Defiance 308 bolt gun. My M14 was actually used for the J Allen web site when they had one.

I luckily sold mine before liberal communist dicktasters took over Canada and banned them. But I did like the stock very much. I did not want to sell it but got the scent of expanded penalties brewing for owning assets that indicate conservatism and therefore must be financially punished. These financial whipping tactics continue to expand here, so beware of liberals.

My buddy still has the JAE on his on his bolt gun. These stocks are super cool. The over molded aluminum chassis must be an expensive process, which makes them expensive stocks, but the benefit is the dampening effect. All aluminum stocks tend to resonate like a tuning fork, but the over molded plastic dampens that completely.

It's nice to see the product continue to be produced.

Attachments

• LRB M14 on JAE100 Stock MAK Tube Rifle.JPG
    LRB M14 on JAE100 Stock MAK Tube Rifle.JPG
    560.3 KB · Views: 92
Reactions: Baron23
There's a plan in the works to hopefully solve the OG chassis replacement parts issue. I'll be posting a thread with info and to gauge interest in the next couple of weeks.
Yo brother…did I miss this post you were planning to make or…?

Any news on parts compatibility with the OG chassis and the new stuff? The only thing the OG is missing for me, is an intgrated arca rail.

4E79074F-BEEB-42AC-865E-AC136E82D0F1.jpeg

Any news on parts compatibility with the OG chassis and the new stuff? The only thing the OG is missing for me, is an intgrated arca rail.
I’ve got the 2 and the 6.
The 6 is perfect to keep my bipod at the end of the forend while having my Magnetospeed on the MK Machining mount.

I talked with MDT a couple weeks back about the JAE and they are slating a small release. Sounds like initially you can have any color as long as it’s black…. A limited run on the first go round and more options later on.
From the sound of it there was no plan to expand the accessory options on the older chassis beyond what is currently offered on their website.
Seems MDT is kind of dipping their toe into the market to gauge demand before committing too many resources.

MDT has stated that:

1. They moved away from JAE's proprietary rail mounting system to M-lok so no, new MDT ARCA and pic rails will not mount on OG JAE chassis. But, they are selling some (but not a lot) remaining NOS JAE accessories here:

2. They shortened the LOP of the chassis in the butt section so new grips won't fit OG chassis. They also shortened the removable comb but its not clear if that will/will not still fit OG chassis...but just be a bit shorter.

Hey guys, sorry for the delay. Kind of put this on the back burner, but I'm getting back on it.

MDT has just about everything available now, but obviously at a pretty steep price point for some accessories. My goal was to get some other aftermarket options out there as an alternative. At the time of my post, I wasn't sure if MDT was going to produce legacy parts or which parts would be backwards compatible. So I started to be proactive.

For example, at the time of my post, i had already worked with someone (won't name names until I get permission) to develop poly JAE LOP spacers that I was testing at the time. Honestly, I just couldn't justify paying $90 a pop for the aluminum ones. The poly spacers work great, and at a drastically reduced price given the material and production method. There's a few other shooters out there that have them as well, and I've heard no complaints. And obviously there is already an option for an aftermarket vertical grip out there as well. So some of the biggest areas have been, or are being, addressed you could say.

I wasn't sure what else could or would be worthwhile trying to develop. I intended to post a thread to gauge interest and get an idea, although I already kind of had several in mind, but I guess I dropped the ball on that lol. In any event, I will get back on this and see where it goes.

I guess this can serve as the "interest gauging post" since most of us JAE nuts are already following this thread lol. So if there are legacy accessories (aside from LOP spacers and the existing vertical grip) that you'd like as an aftermarket option, or have a new idea for additional accessories that don't yet exist that you think would be useful, post it here.

P.s. Anyone pre-order that G4??

Reactions: BJames
MDT has stated that:

1. They moved away from JAE's proprietary rail mounting system to M-lok so no, new MDT ARCA and pic rails will not mount on OG JAE chassis. But, they are selling some (but not a lot) remaining NOS JAE accessories here:

2. They shortened the LOP of the chassis in the butt section so new grips won't fit OG chassis. They also shortened the removable comb but its not clear if that will/will not still fit OG chassis...but just be a bit shorter.
I have a pretty extensive, could even be a comprehensive, list of what will and won't be backwards compatible. I will try to find it and post it here.

But just off the top of my head, the cheek piece will fit, but will require a mod that's not yet available, but will be coming in time. The bag riders, off-hand rest, NV mount, Arca rails, LOP spacers, and recoil pad are all backwards compatible. As mentioned, the grips and palm rests are NOT BW compatible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baron23
Hey guys, sorry for the delay. Kind of put this on the back burner, but I'm getting back on it.

MDT has just about everything available now, but obviously at a pretty steep price point for some accessories. My goal was to get some other aftermarket options out there as an alternative. At the time of my post, I wasn't sure if MDT was going to produce legacy parts or which parts would be backwards compatible. So I started to be proactive.

For example, at the time of my post, i had already worked with someone (won't name names until I get permission) to develop poly JAE LOP spacers that I was testing at the time. Honestly, I just couldn't justify paying $90 a pop for the aluminum ones. The poly spacers work great, and at a drastically reduced price given the material and production method. There's a few other shooters out there that have them as well, and I've heard no complaints. And obviously there is already an option for an aftermarket vertical grip out there as well. So some of the biggest areas have been, or are being, addressed you could say.

I wasn't sure what else could or would be worthwhile trying to develop. I intended to post a thread to gauge interest and get an idea, although I already kind of had several in mind, but I guess I dropped the ball on that lol. In any event, I will get back on this and see where it goes.

I guess this can serve as the "interest gauging post" since most of us JAE nuts are already following this thread lol. So if there are legacy accessories (aside from LOP spacers and the existing vertical grip) that you'd like as an aftermarket option, or have a new idea for additional accessories that don't yet exist that you think would be useful, post it here.

P.s. Anyone pre-order that G4??
A bag rider with an angled bottom (wedge looking thingy, right) so moving bag back and forth will change the rifles elevation angle. Just a thought.

A bag rider with an angled bottom (wedge looking thingy, right) so moving bag back and forth will change the rifles elevation angle. Just a thought.
The JAE bag rider has adjustable inclination.

Reactions: RMS6
The JAE bag rider has adjustable inclination.
Brother, I took the damn thing apart and while the rider adjusts fire and aft, I found no angle adjustment.

And getting it back together was a PIA. I don’t mean getting it back on the chassis. I mean the little block that it slides fore/aft on and the screws that hold it in place.

If there is an angular adjustment, I don’t see how.

Reactions: MarinePMI
Brother, I took the damn thing apart and while the rider adjusts fire and aft, I found no angle adjustment.

And getting it back together was a PIA. I don’t mean getting it back on the chassis. I mean the little block that it slides fore/aft on and the screws that hold it in place.

If there is an angular adjustment, I don’t see how.
The angular adjustment is mild, it's not a big incline, but it's there. The bottom allen screw attaches it to the chassis and the side allens adjust the front to back and angular positions.