• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

This one's been a long time coming. It's been shot from the get go to be 3D as well.

The first thing that popped into my head was "Fern Gully 3D"

I dunno, the animation is slick but not that much better than what I've seen come out of other studios. Maybe the 3d will blow me away.

The trailer and some of the pre-buzz seems to point to this movie having a very preachy message.

Still, I hope it's good. We havn't had a good sci-fi epic in years.

I kinda want to see this flick but am kinda pissed off about the story.

Anybody on here read?

Timothy Zahn has a book called Manta's Gift. Not his best, but still good.

The trailer for Avatar makes it look like its just about the exact same story....

paralyzed person gets converted into some weird species, sent to live with them, becomes attached to them and basically loses his association with the humans and changes sides.

I may be interpresting the trailer wrong, but I doubt it...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Starvin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The first thing that popped into my head was "Fern Gully 3D"
</div></div>

HAH! Apparently I wasn't the only one with this thought!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JAPyipuT-Jg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JAPyipuT-Jg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Good one!

captainbarred, it could also be a rip off of the Captain Pike`s story in Star Trek pilot ,"The Cage"
laugh.gif

Land before time 3 :lol:

Thats fuckin funny!!!!

FWIW, I have both seasons of Dark Angel...

The show is nothing great, but Jessica Alba's hotter than hell!!!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssgp2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good one!

captainbarred, it could also be a rip off of the Captain Pike`s story in Star Trek pilot ,"The Cage"
laugh.gif
</div></div>
hmmm, I guess maybe the plot-lines a little more comon than I thought...

New trailer in HD
http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avatar/hd/

Or Utube
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cRdxXPV9GNQ"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cRdxXPV9GNQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

With all the advertising, and hype already crammed down my throat on FOX, I don't know how I can have any expectations of a good movie. Sometimes the best movies are the ones that don't get all the hype.

If you can, try to see it in IMAX 3D...it's breathtaking.

Just got back from watching it with the wifey in 3D.....it's probably the most visually stunning movie you've ever seen in your life on the big screen. The 3D is awesome & makes you feel like your almost "in" the film watching it as a 3rd person.

Of course, you get the feel that James Cameron is preaching his typical Hollywood "anti-capitalism", "Save the Rain Forest", "Man is bad & destroying the Earth" type sentiments.......But the movie is still cool as Hell!

There's one point where a charactor says this line....,"Where they come from there is no Green....they've killed their Mother...." Almost made me want to puke.......But the movie is still cool as Hell!!

It's like Dances with Wolves meets the Smurfs.

It was a good movie overall. As previously mentioned the combination of 3D, and visual effects are amazing.

I hadn't realized how much I missed Cameron until seeing this. I was worried the movie was going to be more about showcasing technology than character and story but I was wrong. It's nice to see something other than a franchise movie every now and then.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: superde</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's like Dances with Wolves meets the Smurfs.
</div></div>

I like SouthPark too.

I could see why some people could complain about this film, but honestly I really enjoyed it. I was pretty amazed. It was a true "experience" and not as much just going to see a movie.

I can easily say I look forward to watching this again.

I went for the Imax in 3d on Dogtowns suggestion. I wasn't blown away per say, but I think that's just a sign of how immersive it was. The 3d never felt forced it really just like it came out of the screen and around you a bit. I suffered no headaches or dizzness.

I have to say though that is the first time a movie has activated my deeper senses regarding a bit of apprehension towards heights!

laugh.gif

I've been to lots of Imax features and never really felt quite like I was looking over the edge of the cliff, but I'm pretty sure I squeezed my armrest a little.

All in all I know some of you will dislike the story, but I still think you'd be selling yourself short not to grab this one while it's in the theatre. Your home television lazer ray super system isn't going to do this film the justice it deserves.

Will have to see this now !!!
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I could see why some people could complain about this film, but honestly I really enjoyed it. I was pretty amazed. It was a true "experience" and not as much just going to see a movie.

I can easily say I look forward to watching this again.

I went for the Imax in 3d on Dogtowns suggestion. I wasn't blown away per say, but I think that's just a sign of how immersive it was. The 3d never felt forced it really just like it came out of the screen and around you a bit. I suffered no headaches or dizzness.

I have to say though that is the first time a movie has activated my deeper senses regarding a bit of apprehension towards heights!

laugh.gif

I've been to lots of Imax features and never really felt quite like I was looking over the edge of the cliff, but I'm pretty sure I squeezed my armrest a little.

All in all I know some of you will dislike the story, but I still think you'd be selling yourself short not to grab this one while it's in the theatre. Your home television lazer ray super system isn't going to do this film the justice it deserves.

</div></div>

Politically speaking it is cliched Hollywood garbage HOWEVER if you sit back, relax, and just enjoy... it is an awesome experience.

Story was boringly predictable and preachy and the character development was sparse but the movie was really meant to showcase the technology and it did it VERY well indeed. I can't wait to see this stuff spread to other movies.

we saw it Christmas day at the Studio Movie Grill. I wish I had known it was 3 hours long. After two pitches of beer I thought I was going die from a ruptured bladder trying to see the end of it.

Just got back. Saw it in 3d. Best movie I have ever seen. Felt like I was in it. Just Stunning.

Just mentally block out the morals Camerons is trying to push and you really really enjoy the scenery.

A must see in 3d

It is rated PG 13. Should any kids under 13 see it? My 12 year old is on my ass and I said no. CKA's blue people boning review would pretty much answer that question for me. Just checking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical too</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is rated PG 13. Should any kids under 13 see it? My 12 year old is on my ass and I said no. CKA's blue people boning review would pretty much answer that question for me. Just checking.
</div></div>

I think it will be fine. The Marine Sergent Major cusses a little bit, but with his demeanor its expected. The 3D visuals are really a presnet day once in a lifetime deal so to speak.

It feels like you are in an amusement park attraction with this movie.

There is no blood, or explicit sex scenes. There is futuristic marich weaponry engaging aliens. So the violence is there, but no blood and guts, just boom boom.

I think a 12 yr old would be fine.

Saw this today. The Dances With Wolves parallel is dead on and predictable, but I didnt let that bother me.

I really enjoyed the show. Its 2:30 or so long, and I never noticed, never thought that things should be moving along any faster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mgd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got back from watching it with the wifey in 3D.....it's probably the most visually stunning movie you've ever seen in your life on the big screen. The 3D is awesome & makes you feel like your almost "in" the film watching it as a 3rd person.

Of course, you get the feel that James Cameron is preaching his typical Hollywood "anti-capitalism", "Save the Rain Forest", "Man is bad & destroying the Earth" type sentiments.......But the movie is still cool as Hell!

There's one point where a charactor says this line....,"Where they come from there is no Green....they've killed their Mother...." Almost made me want to puke.......But the movie is still cool as Hell!!</div></div> <span style="color: #FF0000">I couldn't have said it better... I don't really care for the Marine turning on his brothers and killing his own and so easily... This part could have been made alittle differently, like destroying equipment and not killing your brothers... But I'm not the director......SmokeRolls</span>

It's interesting, although not surprising, that in conservative circles the plot's getting beat up a bit. I don't think it's as much anti-capitalism as it is realistic that big business is all about the bottom line: profit. Ethics, be damned. This has long been a complaint about powerful corporations, that because they are driven by profit and making shareholders happy, the ethics and morality will always take a back seat. This is obvious when you see corporations being motivated into some change in order to save face with the public.

Now, I'm not at all saying big business is bad or "let's embrace Communism", but I think the way Cameron was trying to setup the antagonists in this film so that "the right thing" to them always involved accomplishing their mission, whether it is right or wrong. Call it "blinded by the mission." Anyone who's served downrange has probably come across someone blinded by the mission at times.

That's actually what I loved about the main antagonist - he reminded me of a few folks I've served with who fully embraced the warrior spirit. I'm talking about the kind of guys who dedicated every ounce of their energy, every fiber in their being to accomplish the mission before them, not wavering, hesitating or questioning. We need people like that in our warrior culture.

At the same time, the role of the scientists seemed a bit like an Army Civil Affairs team - trying to be the bridge between the locals and the area commander. There to advise but also support the strategic goal. On that note, it's not unusual for troops put in that position who're very effective to not suffer from a bit of "going native."

All in all, it's still an engaging story and quite an experience to see (especially in 3D). It's also a good example of character development and pacing, making you actually give a crap about the characters and led through the story in a way that engages you. For the opposite effect, check out "2012"
wink.gif

Good movie. I've seen it twice. I agree with most of the comments above regarding James Cameron's writing. The corporation is very much portrayed as the antagonist in the movie.

Wonder what the sequels will be like? Cameron has already said that he has ideas for 2 sequels. They spent nearly $300 million on making the movie and more than $100 million marketing the thing. I here it hit $1 billion in revenue, so they will be cranking out those other ones as quickly as possible.

CWJ

What's really great, is that the actors who are on screen for 10
seconds but have one line, all split a pool of ( currently ) 25
million dollars, while all the VFX artists in LA, at Weta, ILM, etc all get nothing.

Wait, did I say great? I meant that's lame.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At the same time, the role of the scientists seemed a bit like an Army Civil Affairs team - trying to be the bridge between the locals and the area commander. There to advise but also support the strategic goal. On that note, it's not unusual for troops put in that position who're very effective to not suffer from a bit of "going native."
wink.gif
</div></div>
On this point my assumption was that the science team was there long before the mining operation. and they were trying to learn what they could before the dozers finished.
a. discover
b. explore
c. find unobtainium
d. corp. takes equipment and gards to planet, strip mining begins

I'm surprised to read this thread. After watching the movie (which was visually amazing) I was thinking that people who have served in our armed forces, or who have loved ones who have, would be very upset by the fact that our troops are cast as the "bad guys". Since when is it cool to cheer against Marines or anyone for that matter who has served our country? Some may argue that the movie didn't explicitly state that the troops were United States Marines but that was the clear insinuation.

Furthermore, I guess Cameron really felt it was necessary to demonize the troops as mindless lemmings who love to kill just to get the viewer to feel better about cheering against them. All the other political correctness is disappointing but I can get past it, this issue however was very unsettling.

I think he was more motivated to show a moral dilemma: do you forcibly remove a population in order to mine for profit? In other words, when money (ie profit) is your sole motivator, where is the moral line drawn? For the avatar crew it was an attempt to find a compromise that doesn't screw the indigenous population and for the contractors it was all about accomplishing the mission.

Fire Captain Beatty,

please do NOT wave the flag so hard that it prevents critical thinking here. It is a movie.

Men do not move forward for symbols so much as they move forward for one another.

Soldiers (a universal term) have always been some of the most critical people there are. Dog provides the right analysis:

War Is A Racket

Take for instance these comments from Gen. Smedley Butler, USMC (Ret.) a two-time recipient of the Medal of Honor:

<span style="font-style: italic">“War is just a racket. A racket is best described, I believe, as something that is not what it seems to the majority of people. Only a small inside group knows what it is about. It is conducted for the benefit of the very few at the expense of the masses.

I believe in adequate defense at the coastline and nothing else. If a nation comes over here to fight, then we'll fight. The trouble with America is that when the dollar only earns 6 percent over here, then it gets restless and goes overseas to get 100 percent. Then the flag follows the dollar and the soldiers follow the flag.

I wouldn't go to war again as I have done to protect some lousy investment of the bankers. There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.

There isn't a trick in the racketeering bag that the military gang is blind to. It has its "finger men" to point out enemies, its "muscle men" to destroy enemies, its "brain men" to plan war preparations, and a "Big Boss" Super-Nationalistic-Capitalism.

It may seem odd for me, a military man to adopt such a comparison. Truthfulness compels me to. I spent thirty- three years and four months in active military service as a member of this country's most agile military force, the Marine Corps. I served in all commissioned ranks from Second Lieutenant to Major-General. And during that period, I spent most of my time being a high class muscle- man for Big Business, for Wall Street and for the Bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism.

I suspected I was just part of a racket at the time. Now I am sure of it. Like all the members of the military profession, I never had a thought of my own until I left the service. My mental faculties remained in suspended animation while I obeyed the orders of higher-ups. This is typical with everyone in the military service.

I helped make Mexico, especially Tampico, safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefits of Wall Street. The record of racketeering is long. I helped purify Nicaragua for the international banking house of Brown Brothers in 1909-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for American sugar interests in 1916. In China I helped to see to it that Standard Oil went its way unmolested.

During those years, I had, as the boys in the back room would say, a swell racket. Looking back on it, I feel that I could have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents.”</span>

I second this
It was an amazing thing to view on the I-Max and 3D

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 10xround</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just seen the movie Avatar . The 3D was awesome with the added bonus of the large IMax screen. </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">To any of those who thought this was the BEST MOVIE EVER.

I bought two tickets to see it in 3d. Total $18. Feel free to put your money where your mouth is and send me a refund check.</span>

The movie wasn't good. And for 3 hours, it had more than enough time to get there...

Want to see it but dont like the anti-military BS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: markspring1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm surprised to read this thread. After watching the movie (which was visually amazing) I was thinking that people who have served in our armed forces, or who have loved ones who have, would be very upset by the fact that our troops are cast as the "bad guys". Since when is it cool to cheer against Marines or anyone for that matter who has served our country? Some may argue that the movie didn't explicitly state that the troops were United States Marines but that was the clear insinuation.

Furthermore, I guess Cameron really felt it was necessary to demonize the troops as mindless lemmings who love to kill just to get the viewer to feel better about cheering against them. All the other political correctness is disappointing but I can get past it, this issue however was very unsettling. </div></div>

It didn't explicitly state it because it wasn't the case. They weren't any nation's military, they were a private security force... basically, like Blackwater.

Most people were either too pre-occupied with the visuals or too busy thinking about banging the blue alien chick to pay any attention to the underlying messages anyway. Who cares, its just a movie...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who cares, its just a movie...</div></div>

It sounds more like a cartoon to me. I like my cartoons to be funny. The Roadrunner and George of the Jungle are about my speed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">To any of those who thought this was the BEST MOVIE EVER.

I bought two tickets to see it in 3d. Total $18. Feel free to put your money where your mouth is and send me a refund check.</span>

The movie wasn't good. And for 3 hours, it had more than enough time to get there... </div></div>

DEAD BALLS ON. poor schmuck (no offense meant). At least I got a refund....

We tried to watch an IMAX version of Avatar on the trip back home. Jane got nauseous enough that we had to leave after almost an hour. Fortunately, they gave us a refund without objection. I was quite surprised at Jane's reaction to the movie itself (aside from the noxious video trouble).

I found the movie rather infantile--it's "all been done before"... a new movie 'language' isn't a new concept, JRR Tolkien created his own real (spoken and written) language in Lord of the Rings. Of course, 3D is as old as the hills--it might be new to your kid, and "big" and "you are there" on IMAX, but it's still just 3D--like the 'animal planet whatever-it-was' that I saw at Epcot Center about 3 years ago-- it was a visual gimmick that disguised the weak 'animal planet' story line, and I found that to be common with Avatar. Kind of like Quentin Tarantino's time-shifting ploy that he utilized in Pulp Fiction--it was a great gimmick that disguised a weak story, and if you don't keep your eye on the ball, you miss the fact that you were distracted from the weak storyline.

I found the visual graphics of the "surroundings"--flora, etc. to be engrossing, but the concept of "newness" of heretofore 'unknown' plant life isn't really new--Star Wars and Star Trek have tried forever to create palatable anatomically different humanoids and flora for decades--I think Cameron was successful with his effort more because his budget allowed for better refinement than the SW and ST graphics crews were with their admittedly "tighter" budgets.

Lastly, for only having seen most of the first hour, I came away thinking, "what time is it? how much longer?" This is just 'nother boy-meets-girl-vulnerable-fish-out-of-water don't-make-waves and stay politically-correct and save-the-two-worlds-matinee, right down to the "bad" general secret-military-within-the-military character. Oy. What a surprise. I wonder how far off I am in describing a movie I'd never heard of. Could it be any more original that a "kids-conspire-to-save-mom-and-dad's-marriage" movie? Anyway...

What really surprised me was that Jane's reaction was the same. It's playing down here, but I'm not curious enough to see it in either theater, be it 2D w/ Jane, or 3D without. I guess we'll just wait for the home screen and the DVD release. Or maybe not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: markspring1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm surprised to read this thread. After watching the movie (which was visually amazing) I was thinking that people who have served in our armed forces, or who have loved ones who have, would be very upset by the fact that our troops are cast as the "bad guys". Since when is it cool to cheer against Marines or anyone for that matter who has served our country? Some may argue that the movie didn't explicitly state that the troops were United States Marines but that was the clear insinuation.

Furthermore, I guess Cameron really felt it was necessary to demonize the troops as mindless lemmings who love to kill just to get the viewer to feel better about cheering against them. All the other political correctness is disappointing but I can get past it, this issue however was very unsettling. </div></div>

It didn't explicitly state it because it wasn't the case. They weren't any nation's military, they were a private security force... basically, like Blackwater.

Most people were either too pre-occupied with the visuals or too busy thinking about banging the blue alien chick to pay any attention to the underlying messages anyway. Who cares, its just a movie... </div></div>

What led you to believe that it was a private security force? They specifically referred to the military as "Marines".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tigerbikes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Politically speaking it is cliched Hollywood garbage HOWEVER if you sit back, relax, and just enjoy... it is an awesome experience. </div></div>

My thoughts exactly. From a cinematic standpoint, just <span style="font-style: italic">damn</span>...