• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

JANUARY 2011 SH SHORT RANGE RIMFIRE COMPETITIONS

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-size: 17pt">NEW SHOOTERS WELCOME!!!</span></span>

Doesn't cost anything, for fun and bragging rights, and we share beneficial information learned each month.

Thread for posting scores for our monthly <span style="font-weight: bold">"<span style="color: #CC9933">SH MONTHLY RIMFIRE 25+50yd 4 POSITION COMPETITION</span>" </span>and <span style="font-weight: bold">"<span style="color: #009900">SH MONTHLY 50yd TACTICAL RIMFIRE COMPETITION</span>"</span> matches.

<span style="color: #FF0000">SH MONTHLY RIMFIRE 25+50yd 4 POSITION COMPETITION RULES </span>

SH MONTHLY 50yd TACTICAL RIMFIRE COMPETITION RULES

PRINTABLE TARGETS - SH SHORT RANGE RIMFIRE COMPETITIONS

Scores of both of the short range competitions will be posted in the same thread. If you shoot both the 4P and TRC, please use 2 different posts (one for each). At the end of the month, scores and rankings from both competitions will be posted as seperate events.

<span style="font-weight: bold">PREVIOUS <span style="color: #CC9933">4 POSITION</span> and <span style="color: #009900">50yd TACTICAL</span> SCORES </span>

2010 AND 2009 SH SHORT RANGE RIMFIRE COMP SCORES

A place for a good source of tips, tricks, what worked, what didn't, rifle / ammo performance, thoughts, etc.:

Learnings thread for SH short range competitions

Re: JAN. 2011 SH SHORT RANGE RIMFIRE COMPETITIONS

<span style="font-weight: bold">The numbers to be shot (in order shown) on Stage 2 "The Grid" of the 50Y TRC matches are</span>

<span style="font-size: 20pt">8, 2, 11, 17, 13

14, 3, 16, 10, 20</span>

GOOD LUCK!

50Y TRC B

45 DEG F, <7 MPH 10:00 WIND, 70% HUM, OVERCAST

Name: TOP PREDATOR
Rifle: Savage MKII BV
Caliber: .22LR
Ammo: Aguila G. Eagle rifle match
Sights: 6-24 simmons prohunter
Rest: Bi-pod front, bag rear

Stage 1: 10/25
Stage 2: 40/50
Stage 3: 10/50
Stage 4: 0/65
Stage 5: 10/60

Total score: 70/250

Penalties: stage 2 hit a no shoot (14) while shooting @ 16, 2 out of the circle on stage 3, missed the second circle in stage 4, hit last hostage on stage 5. seems i was pulling shots low.

JAN201150YDTRC.jpg

Thoughts: love shooting this target, if off by a few shots or just plain getting greedy could mean the difference between 200+ score or a -100 score.

User Name: grevo
Match: 25Y-4P
Sight Class: S
Rifle: Sako P94S
Ammo: Remington Target
TLB: 45-2X
TRB: 49-1X
CB: 50-4X
LLB: 50-5X
LRB: 50-5X
Total Score: 244-17X
temp 32c
wind light from behind
humid somewhere around 70%

25Y4-1-2011.jpg

have to do the 50Y one someouther day had a mob of cows decide that 70m behind the target was the place to have a town meeting. took 20 min to chase them back into the outher padock and in that heat i was stuffed and running out of time but as thay say shit happens

Re: JANUARY 2011 SH SHORT RANGE RIMFIRE COMPETITIONS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doesn't cost anything, for fun and bragging rights, and we share beneficial information learned each month.</div></div>

Hey TOP, would you consider doing the same thing over on the centerfire side?? I have been shooting the same targets with a few mods for fun with some friends. I just don't wish to step on your toes...

DK

wouldn't be stepin on my toes, i wouldn't mind showing you how to set it up as between doing the rimfire stuff and my local silhoutte matches starting in march, i'm going to be up to my ears in shooting and may not be able to give it the time it would need.

the problem is going to be getting the format - short range targets and distances for centerfire - that most can agree on. i'd thing with the 4 position, 50 yds at a minimum (that'll bring in the AR guys), 100 yards for scoped?

if the founding fathers of the short range rimfire stuff don't mind, a simple copy and paste of the ground rules (replace rimfire with centerfire) if you guys like the rules we are using would get it off to a start.

joe martin and company, if you don't mind, and if z71rat wants to start a short range 4p on the centerfire side, let me know and i'll PM the "go by" to use.

50Y TRC B

54 DEG F, 9-14 MPH 8:00 WIND, Sunny

Name: Toddcal13
Rifle: Savage MKII TRR
Ammo: Wolff Extra Match
Sights: 4-20x Weaver Tactical Mildot
Rest: Bi-pod front, unsupported rear

Stage 2: 30/50
Stage 3: 30/50
Stage 4: 15/65

Total score: 95/250

I shot at the #10 twice by accident after getting interrupted by the guy next to me missing both times. Needles to say the drill is very hard... I shot it twice today with a 65 on the first go around. really excited to try again next month!

First time I have run the Wolff Match Extra (man they really lube that ammo up). I am happy with its results.

photo.jpg

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g474/toddcal13/photo.jpg

^ Nice! We actually made this match not too long ago. It has been a real hit ever since. Gotta feel bad for that last hostage though. She is definitely no longer breathing lol. Good work though.

Must be nice not to live in the "Frozen Tundra" of Ohio. Looks like I'm not gonna be able to shoot for awhile the range road is blocked by friggin snow and temps were a 15 below with wind chill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wouldn't be stepin on my toes, i wouldn't mind showing you how to set it up as between doing the rimfire stuff and my local silhoutte matches starting in march, i'm going to be up to my ears in shooting and may not be able to give it the time it would need.

the problem is going to be getting the format - short range targets and distances for centerfire - that most can agree on. i'd thing with the 4 position, 50 yds at a minimum (that'll bring in the AR guys), 100 yards for scoped?

if the founding fathers of the short range rimfire stuff don't mind, a simple copy and paste of the ground rules (replace rimfire with centerfire) if you guys like the rules we are using would get it off to a start.

joe martin and company, if you don't mind, and if z71rat wants to start a short range 4p on the centerfire side, let me know and i'll PM the "go by" to use. </div></div>

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. By all means, the centerfire group is more then welcome to take some pages from here.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmallBoreSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^ Nice! We actually made this match not too long ago. It has been a real hit ever since. Gotta feel bad for that last hostage though. She is definitely no longer breathing lol. Good work though.</div></div>

It is a great drill. You guys really hit the jackpot. I found myself either rushing or going to slow, never could find a good rhythm. I hope this drill will force me to be able to get settled and focus better.

That last one was just a bad shot, she ain't coming back from that.
wink.gif

Looks like I may have a window of opportunity tomorrow to get the 50 yard Tactical shot with temps in the 30's and a 7 to 9 mph wind - provided the forecast is correct???

If the forecast is correct I'll try and get my 25 yard 4 Position target shot, as well as a 100 yard TQ-4 target. Just have to see if the forecast holds.

Man, epic fail this month. I have a list of excuses as long as my arm that I will keep to myself. C'est la vie...I'll shoot better next month.

Class: O (Open Iron Sights)
Rifle: Ruger 10/22
Ammo: Remington cheapo
TLB: 36-1x (offhand)
TRB: 44-0x (kneeling)
CB: 42-0x (setting)
LLB: 42-0x (prone - sling only)
LRB: 48-0x (prone - sling only)

Total Score: 214-1x

5393114265_fe2e421bd1.jpg

Name: Navyguy0023
Rifle: Savage MKII TR
Ammo: Wolff Match Target
Sights: 10x42 Super Sniper
Rest: Bench, Sandbag Front(Bi-pod too tall), unsupported rear

Stage 1: 0/25
Stage 2: 25/50
Stage 3: 10/50
Stage 4: 0/65

Total score: 45/250

I had to re-zero my scope so the first cold bore shot was anything but. I was pretty rushed and I know I could do better but the range was closing. I made a couple of stupid mistakes, shooting only 4 at stage 3 and I shot my buddies paper on the last hostage target. Next month it's on! Thanks SnipersHide!
SCAN0013.jpg

haptoshoot
Rifle: Savage MK II TR
nikon monach x 4-16 x 44
Ammo: SK standard plus
offhand: 45-2X
kneeling: 48-3X
CB: 49-2X
LLB: 50-4X
LRB: 50-4X
Total Score: 242-15X
temp 19f
gusty wind 2-10mph from left changing to behind

misc201020.jpg

name; clodhopper
match; TRC P
Class: scope
Rifle 10-22
caliber; 22 lr
ammo fed 750 (cheapo walmart crap)
Stage 1 25/25
Stage 2 35/50
Stage 3 10/50
Stage 4 0/65
Stage 5 10/60
Total score 80

Name; clodhopper
Match; 25y TQ 3/5
Class; scope
Rifle; 10-22
caliber; 22
Ammo; win 333s
TLB; 47 3-X
TRB; 46 2-X
CB;; 50 2-X
LLB; 50 2-X
LRB; 50 2-X
Total score 242 11-X

name; clodhopper
match; 25 yp tq- 3/5 SS
class; scope
Rifle; 10-22
Caliber; 22 lr
Ammo; fed 750 (CWmC)
TLB 45 1-X
TRB 44 1-X
CB 48 3-X
LLB 50 4-X
Lrb 50 4-X
Total score 237 13-X

Gleefully unemployed right now and determined to use up some of the crappy ammo I have.
Spent the last two weeks tearing up the kitchen floor and replacing sub floor. Finally got a range day.
Those fed 750s have several duds per box, and while I was shooting them, (only have a few more bricks left) I wanted to try long range. At 300 meters the vertical dispersion of a ten shot group is around 6 feet.
Did not bother with 400.

Date: 31 Jan. 2011, 11:30am.
Condition: Sunny
Light: Bright.
Temp: 18°F.
Wind: 5 to 7 MPH, variable.
Humidity: 37%.
Pressure: 30.27"
Altitude: 1400'

Name: MEAT4272
Rifle: CZ-452 Varmint
Ammo: Eley Target (yellow box)
Sights: SS 10x42
Rest: bipod front, bag rear

Match: TRC 50 Yard B

Stage 2: 40/50
Stage 3: 50/50
Stage 4: 65/65
Stage 5: 50/60

Total score: 215/250

TRCBJAN2011.jpg

Good shootin' guy's! Maybe someday the weather will let me get back in the game. I'm having terriable withdrawls!
sick.gif

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">JANUARY 2011 SHORT RANGE RESULTS:</span></span>

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">25Y 4P</span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">.22 CALIBER</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">"S" CLASS</span>

1. GREVO.....................244 - 17X
smile.gif

2. HAPTOSHOOT............242 - 15X
3. CLODHOPPER.............242 - 11
4. MANBIKE26................214 - 1X

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">25Y 4P SS</span></span>

1. CLOD HOPPER.............237 - 13X

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">50Y TRC - B</span></span>

1. MEAT4272................215/250
cool.gif

2. TODDCAL13...............95/250
3. TOPPREDATOR............70/250
4. NAVYGUY..................55/250.

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">50Y TRC - P</span></span>

1. CLODHOPPER..............80/250

For the first match of 2011, this month certainly had it's weather moments across the country, causing some shooting in more extreme tempuratures / conditions, and I'm sure we all learned a little something while doing it. There where a few new shooters to the comps this month also, a big welcome to TODDCAL13 and NAVYGUY.

Congratulations to GREVO AND MEAT4272 taking top spots on their participated matches.

As we enter February, a month of the strange mixture of Presidents, Groundhogs, and love, we can certainly see that we'll be turning the corner shortly on winter.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wouldn't be stepin on my toes, i wouldn't mind showing you how to set it up as between doing the rimfire stuff and my local silhoutte matches starting in march, i'm going to be up to my ears in shooting and may not be able to give it the time it would need.

joe martin and company, if you don't mind, and if z71rat wants to start a short range 4p on the centerfire side, let me know and i'll PM the "go by" to use.

</div></div>

Sorry it took me so long to get back with you on this. I would be interested is trying to get this started with the centerfire guys. ARs would probably be 50 yards, and scoped (any centerfire) would definately be 100 yards. Just let me know Brother!!

DK

z71, I wonder what would happen if people started moving towards different setups for short range tactical. In my mind, at 100 yards, the 30BR with a flat base bullet would be the perfect setup for short range tactical (and Smack the Smiley for that matter).

The .308 can be pretty accurate at close range, but those BTHP bullets are really meant to stretch their legs. For those of us on short ranges (which is most of us), these short range comps are the best way to stay sharp, but we are really playing with the wrong tools for the job.

That is why I really like messing with the 22LR. You can buy good ammo or an accurate stick, but you can't do anything radical to cheat the game.

Shooting like you do with the .22lr, I can understand why you like it so much. You are one of the most consistant shooters that I have ever seen with a 22.

I however, seem to be ALOT more proficient with a .30 cal centerfire than I have ever been with a 22. But, I have never really had a 22 rig that was capable of much in the accuracy department.

And you are most definately correct about hot rodding a 22... there just isn't much to do with them. They either have the accuracy or they don't it seems. But that don't keep me from trying. I now have my Dad's old 22, but I have yet to fire it since making some changes to it. I am hoping that I will get some good consistant accuracy out of it. Even if I don't, I plan on enjoying shooting this thing, especially coming from my Dad.

DK