• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing January Coyote Calling - Midwest

vvillium3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2010
Stevensville, MI
Hello All,

Now that it's almost January and there's finally snow on the ground here in southwest Michigan. What sounds do you guys typically call with?

Was recently reading an article that suggested to use non aggressive lone howls. As they are starting to pair together for mating in February. That coupled with prey distress calls was suggested. Is it to early for this, or what else is suggested.

Thank you all for your input,
Jason

Re: January Coyote Calling - Midwest

im still having success with distess calls right now in ohio. i have really never had sucess with any howling. i figure they always gotta eat but aint' always horny...lol

Howls work late Jan into March when they start pairing up. Even if they havent bred yet, theyll still come running in to run other pairs or individuals out of their territory.

My go-to distress calls are the Flextone Dying Rabbit and the Buck Gardner coaxer. I've used the Flextone the past few nights with awesome luck. The mouthpiece and bell are flexible so you can shape the sounds with your mouth and hand and make tons of different rabbit distresses from whimpers to screams.

Coaxer I only really use once a yote comes in or we hear something suspicious just because its quieter and hard to make louder. Good for mouse squeaks and bird distress.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Killswitch,

Any particular distress call and length of calling? </div></div>

Call for about a minute or two and stay quiet for about 10min. Then repeat for 2nd and 3rd sequence. Usually inbetween i'll do short 5-10 sec wails and whimpers.

All depends on what yotes youre calling, these typically work well out where i call in Iowa.

I use two primarily with very good success. Lightning jack and juvenile red fox distress. Both have produced numerous times for me one area at night. I usually call for around 5min solid varying volume until full power. Sometimes follow up with pup whines.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killswitch Engage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use two primarily with very good success. Lightning jack and juvenile red fox distress. Both have produced numerous times for me one area at night. I usually call for around 5min solid varying volume until full power. Sometimes follow up with pup whines. </div></div>

Thanks killswitch, will have to give those two calls a try. I think those are free on foxpro's website if I don't already have them. For some reason I've been having a hell of time the last month to call anything in. Had some success in early December, but things have fallen dead as of late.

As a little update, didn't make it out today. As usual too much booze & football. However my buddy made it out and was calling with small cottontail sounds. Got a double within the first five minutes of the set. Of all days to stay in.....

2FAB6B70-AC32-4427-AC30-0E456D2AA812-4677-000002830F6C3F32.jpg