• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re: JarHead

atleast they used a real M40A1 or a clone...LOL I was quite surprised when I seen the close up of the clip slotted receiver with Unertl Mount and scope.. I actually got excited for a little bit..

At the time, especially on the west coast, STA platoons were a place to drop off Shit Bird type people, in some cases the sniper platoons were not well thought of. (In fact Heartbreak Ridge was more of a STA platoon than a Recon one)

So, him being a disgruntled shit bird makes perfect sense for the day.

We didn't have that problem on the east coast.
smile.gif

Ok, I know this is a old thread, but after reading these impressions, I feel compelled to say something about the movie and the Corps I knew.

Personally I loved the movie. Was it a movie in the legacy of "Full Metal Jacket?" No. To me this movie held a lot more truths. The movie to me was more about disappointment than Corps traditions and history. To me it hit a lot of things on the head.

This review of the book sounds more like a rant than a review:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: anesvick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.snipercountry.com/BVT_Reviews/Jarhead.asp

That book review sums up my feelings on this pile of disrespectful trash. I would be honored to have the chance to kick Swofford in the balls for the disrespect he paid to The Corps with this shit. </div></div>

The reviewer goes off and knit picks on the details that we as military men naturally find annoying. I don't think Professor Swofford wrote the book for just a military crowd. Military people like historical stories with hard facts and lots of dull details. No emotions. He wanted something everyone could read and, with some very simple/quick thought, could understand.

And as for the mental state and character of the Marines in the story being accurate? Again, I think its spot on. My time in the Marines was spent with a lot of guys who were young punks with attitudes. Some of them got booted out and others got busted down. A lot had police records, myself included. Out of 20 guys I got to my unit with (out of school) only 4 of us made it to the end of our contracts with E-4. I saw everything from thieves and liers to druggies and alcoholics. I asked myself, "How did this guy become a Marine?" on many occasions. In the end though, everyone I served with I knew I could depend on when the SHTF. We came up as a team and we knew all of our little quarks, faults, and strengths. This made us bullet proof... Or at least feel like we were.

In the end of my contract I got out because I felt the same disappointment that is reflected in the movie. I wanted to be a Sniper, couldn't because I was a critical MOS. I wanted War, every time we got close nothing ever happened. You really want to piss a Marine off, promise action then don't deliver.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is; if you want a war movie filled with glory, guts, and good one liners, this is not it. But if you want a movie with historical emotional truth and a unique perspective on the Corps, give it a try.

Jarhead's theatrical time frame was about the time I enlisted. A lot of the emotion depicted in the film I felt while I was in. Even done some of the same stupidity and have recollections of people including myself having momentary lapse of reason from time to time. While I can not comment what it was like in Desert Storm for snipers and how it actually went down for them to compare to the movie. I can however remember the same music, the same circumstances the same thoughts and the same BS. While I love the old movies and they undoubtedly influenced me some as to why I chose the Marine Corps. I look at Jarhead as a movie relating remarkably close to the time when I was in, how I felt and how I still feel sometimes. Might not be everyone's idea of a great USMC flick, but I really connected with it.

I have to say its one of my favourite movies. It wasnt the great hero story all war films usually are. I did what it said on the tin.