• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes JB weld for bedding HS?

terrygood

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2009
Atlantic city NJ
I have a H-S rifle. I am thinking of JB welding the action to the stock with no release agent? I will tighten to 60 inch pounds. The action and barrel are stainless. Has anyone done this?

Re: JB weld for bedding HS?

First--Why post in optics? Second- Spend the $25 and buy some real bedding material. Third- Why on Earth would you want to permenantly affix your barrelled action to any stock, let alone an HS Precision? My guess is that anyone who did what you proposed will not have the stones to admit it in public.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First--Why post in optics? Second- Spend the $25 and buy some real bedding material. </div></div>

+1!

I hope you REALLY like your trigger and it never goes down!!

I would stick with traditional bedding material and leave the JB weld for repairing engine blocks. At some point in the future, you would regret doing this.

In this case, the BOX is there for a reason! Take comfort in the BOX The BOX is your friend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In this case, the BOX is there for a reason! Take comfort in the BOX The BOX is your friend. </div></div>

Well put.

For me, Devcon 10110 plastic steel putty.

What would you use for a release agent? Would the devcon aluminum that is sold by Brownells be the way?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BiggerStick47</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are several reasons NOT to bed w/ JBW, and no good reasons to. </div></div>

Please let me hear these reasons? I used it once when I was low on devcon. It gave a great finish seems very stable and tough. Butch's Bore Shine nor napatha are softening it. What am I missing? BTW paste wax and spray release work well with JBs.

As far as affixing it to the stock it would work well if done properly, stress free.....and you drilled some holes all the way through the stock so you can knock the trigger pins out....and you use something other than a top safety.....and the cut out for the trigger is large enough to slide the whole trigger out.....and you hog the barrel channel out enough to allow you remove the barrel. It would be a pain IMO. Glueing an action in is not thinking outside the box for BR shooters, all my BR rifles are glue ins.

Let`s not condemn a person for making a simple mistake of posting in the wrong forum... it could happen to us ALL......... that being said on to FACTS....I`ve used brownells acra glas,devcon steel and J-B industro to bed and glue actions into stocks.including H-S aluminum bedding blocks...J-B ibdustro has better strength and temperature charactaristics than most others.It works good. will adhere well,and releases well with Johnsons wax.I would not hesitate to use it and recommend it to any one.

JBW is excellent for bedding. I mix in steel powder and shavings from my bench grinder and that makes it hard as steel when it drys. After mixing it up I let it sit and dry some to it gets to a good working consistency so it isn't so runny.

This mix is great for bedding scope bases too.

GC

Well, there you have all the expert opinions. If you want to really bed it in, go to your local Caterpillar dealer, buy some titanium or steel-based "Cat Glue". (JOKE there, Don't ever do it)

I personally go with Devcon and a release agent. Can you imagine a Firearms Manufacturer that beds a rifle to where you can't remove the barreled action?

Also, consider the expansion and contraction of temps on the stock and bedding compund. Some fiberglass stock manufacturers recommend (for maximum results) bedding with the same resin they use to make their stock. But I've had great results from Devcon putty.

I'm with Scooty Puff.

DJD

Use Devcon 10110 steel putty, and Kiwi neutral shoe polish paste as release agent. Read the article on 6mmbr.com on bedding, it will answer a lot of your questions. Also read the DIY on RDprecision.net on bedding. http://rdprecision.net/diy2.html