• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing JB weld for bedding rifle?

KnightOfNee

The One
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2010
Well, I am going to bed an Hs stock and was wondering if JB weld workds as good as Devcon?

And will it release fine if I use Kiwi shoe polish?

Have any of you used Jb weld for this?

Re: JB weld for bedding rifle?

I bedded the action on my Howa and a b n c stock. I believe its just as good as any other method .I used vaseline as a releasing agent.

I did 2 when I counld nt Marine Tex locally. Both turned out nice. I used Kiwi as a release agent.

I've used J-B Weld (Not Quik Weld) to bed a few rifles. Works OK, but it's rather runny. Less like peanut butter and more like honey. Keep the runs under control and it sets up good.

Its kind of spendy by the tube but works well for bedding. Make sure you have your bedding area damned up with clay or plumbers putty becasue it flows really well.

let it sit on the palatte you mix it on for about an hour. spread it thin after mixing and leave it. then apply it. since its gonna run downhill, your line between the action and stock will be where you want to let it build up. if you clean it, as it settles a gap will form. so save the top part til its done drooping.

and JB and kiwi worked fine for me on my HS stock. drill holes and i used a q-tip stick to push the epoxy into the holes i drilled

I just did my .22 and used kiwi. One of my better jobs yet. Just prep good and dont be skimpy on it. I used playdough to keep it out of places I didnt want it and decided to merge a chad dixon method with it. Added baking soda to it to thicken it up and make it less runny. Worked pretty well from this end.

used it about 10 years ago on a mauser and it is still working today

J-B INDUSTRO....WORKS GOOD....both for glue ins and normal bedding and pillars...I use johnsons floor wax for release... that works good too...
bill larson

I used it, and put Ductseal electricians putty where it wasn't supposed to go. Wrapped the action screws with 2-3 layers of plumbers teflon thread tape, to center the screws, and keep the epoxy off the screws. Kiwi wax works great for release agent. Don't forget to kiwi the screws, and threads in the action. I'll have to try the baking soda trick. I even did a 15 minute bedding job, with a 5 minute setting plumbers epoxy putty stick(has copper in it, matches walnut color) just into the recoil lug and front receiver ring recess of a cheap Savage stock. Cut group size by half. Work fast, and use Kiwi...

I've repaired A LOT of corroded vintage auto castings for an employer who insisted on buying JB for the job. Always took multiple applications as the JB would settle and pool into the low spots. It's quite runny at best. Devcon STAYS where you put it, even if it's quite thick. I think Devcon is harder when cured. I've done 2 M1As with Devcon and the results were great. Knowing what I've experienced, I wouldn't want the PITA that using JB would have been. Save the pallet you mix on to judge how well the product actually set up for that batch. +++1 using Neutral Kiwi shoe polish for release agent. YMMV

okay, I used the JB weld and it worked great with the Kiwi polish.

I let the JB weld sit for about 10 minutes before using so it would thicken up

I used some extra long threaded "TAPED shafts to guide the action to the screw holes, I didnt tighten them at all, I just let the action sit with 2 clamps holding it snugley"NOT cranked tight, so it wouldnt flex the action".

Everything lined up perfect, I got a good feeling about this fit!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how is your shrubbery? </div></div>

Doing well, now I just need somebody to cut down the mightiest tree in the forest, with a "HERRING"!!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Knightofnee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I am going to bed an Hs stock and was wondering if JB weld workds as good as Devcon?

And will it release fine if I use Kiwi shoe polish?

Have any of you used Jb weld for this? </div></div>

I think the guys are probably right- I've not bedded with JB- but I did with Devcon- it was a peanut buttery consistency, and JB does seem to be a bit runny compared.

Devcon is probably cheaper by volume than JB.

Advance Auto sells the large Industrial size tubes of J-B Weld. This is much cheaper than buying the small tubes normally seen at the hardware stores. I mix some itomized steel and black dye in my J-B for bedding. This thickens it and also the extra steel makes it harder when cured. I use Johnson's Paste Wax for release agent.

Reactions: Kentuckywindage222

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how is your shrubbery? </div></div>

That is freakin hilarious!!

DK