• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report JBM and Stability

Rarebreed93

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2010
oHIo
When the info is input into the JBM, Stability program.
What does that answer mean?

208 Amax
stability
What does the 1.194 stand for?
Is this the yards that the bullet will be stable?

Re: JBM and Stability

* Stability
Calculates the Miller stability factor. This formula was derived by Don Miller and published in Precision Shooting. This formula is much better than the antiquated Greenhill's formula. Stability value should be in the range of 1.3 to 2.0 to ensure bullet stability. Don Miller and Dave Brennan (editor of Precision Shooting) have also been kind enough to let me host his stability paper on my exterior ballistics bibliograpy page. The paper is titled A New Rule for Estimating Rifling Twist An Aid to Choosing Bullets and Rifles.

Source:
http://www.jbmballistics.com/ballistics/calculators/calculators.shtml

A New Rule for Estimating Rifling Twist An Aid to Choosing Bullets and Rifles

Very good read, I understand.
The warmer it is the more stable the 208 Amax will become out of my 23.5" barrel w/ 1/12 twist.
(59.o degrees/29.92Hg)This is my base numbers.
So in 80 or 90 degree weather the bullet will become more stable.

Anything above 1.0 is considered stable; but ideally you want 1.4 SG to be able to shoot in all conditions among other things. I think JBM set out their parameters of 59oC and sea level 29.92hg you will need to punch in your numbers for your area. If you shoot colder then that (can't go below sea level) or slower then you Chrony muzzle velocity you will see a lower SG, below 1.0 and your going to have some interesting result. If I remember correctly the Army wants closer to 2.0 as they have to shoot in some adverse conditions.

Trevor

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rarebreed93</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When the info is input into the JBM, Stability program.
What does that answer mean?

208 Amax
stability
What does the 1.194 stand for?
Is this the yards that the bullet will be stable? </div></div>

1.194....what are you shooting ? If you are using a 308 24" 1:12 then to get stability over 1.15 you have to push the 208 north of 3,000 fps.

It depends on your local conditions.

In current local conditions (temp 54F, pressure 25.41 Hg), I get a factor of 1.25, at 2600 fps in a 1/12 barrel.