• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report JBM - clarification on wind and target angles

azimutha

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2009
Montana
From http://www.jbmballistics.com/ballistics/calculators/help/traj_drift/traj_drift_exp.shtml I understand that a full-value wind blowing from left to right (9 o' clock to 3 o' clock) would be expressed as 90 degrees in the Wind Angle field. That puts the shooter at 0 degrees and the target at 180 degrees.

However, the definition for target angle isn't as specific. Is it also the same in terms of direction? In other words, if I enter 90 degrees is the target moving from left to right across my field of view or is it right to left?

Re: JBM - clarification on wind and target angles

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azimutha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">However, the definition for target angle isn't as specific. Is it also the same in terms of direction? In other words, if I enter 90 degrees is the target moving from left to right across my field of view or is it right to left? </div></div>
Yes, it would be the same, if the mover is moving 90 degrees to your location. It doesn't matter what direction it's moving from- L to R, or R to L. It's the same value from either side. You have to apply the lead forward of the target. For example, if the target is moving L to R, you may need a 5 MOA lead (or 2 mil) lead ahead of the target, which would be holding that much to the right of the moving target. If the mover is coming to you at an angle less than 90 degrees to your location, then enter that angle and speed of the target, and JBM will tell you how much lead you will need to hit the target.

Also, you have to account for the wind value in your lead on a moving target. So calculate your wind adjustment, and add or subtract it from the target lead, depending on which direction the mover is moving. I find it easiest to dial my wind correction into the scope, and have the same target lead moving right and/or left the same value. But others hold for the wind and lead at the same time, which can be hard to do in the heat of the moment.
For example, at 500 yards you have a 10 mph wind L to R, and it drifts the bullet by 1 mil (to the right), and your target lead is 2 mil. When the mover is moving L to R, you will need to hold 1 mil lead (2 minus 1). When it moves R to L, you will need to hold 3 mil lead (2 plus 1). If you dial the 1 mil of wind into your scope, you hold 2 mil lead for both directions. This works best for me.

Re: JBM - clarification on wind and target angles

Thanks for answering. It should have occurred to me that I could simply verify this by looking at the output table. But it helps to have the clarification.