• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns JC HIGGINS SHOTGUN

jrassy

Grunt
Minuteman
  • Aug 16, 2010
    SD
    So yesterday I went out with some family and shot about 200 rounds of 12 gauge, about 60 rounds through my trusty JC HIGGINS SEARS pump. I slipped on some ice and managed to snap the bolt holding the stock on in half, as it to took a dump on the ice.
    This shotgun was going to be my winter project anyway, action is smooth and has been checked out by a local gunsmith. I am going to shorten the barrel by unscrewing this magnificent choke , cutting and rethreading the barrel so I can reinstall the choke( maybe cut that down a bit as well) . It’s a 28 inch barrel now.
    Extracting the broken screw is not that big a deal, finding another stock might be.
    Can I legally turn this into a shockwave style weapon or by just cutting it down, barrel and stock, it’s a AOW and I’ll need a stamp. Thoughts?

88C4D7BD-FED2-44D8-8AD0-70F14357CA5F.jpeg
    B2F58E7D-0306-4EF6-9942-4F2B51272723.jpeg
    B8DDC164-8DF8-4931-B919-C4D0131DE9FE.jpeg

I have a Sears JC Higgins as well . I believe it is actually a Winchester 1200 .
    28 inch clay slayin Pheasant buster . Dad gave it to me 20 plus years ago . Man I nearly cried reading your mishap .

Reactions: jrassy
    since it started life as a "shotgun".....if the barrel goes less than 18" or OAL is less than 26"... it will become a "SBS"

what you can do is keep the barrel length over 18" and fit a pistol grip....so long as the OAL remains over 26"

how bad is the stock buggered up?....it looks to be pretty well intact...i would see if your gunsmith can repair it before i went the pistol grip route

Reactions: jrassy
    If you decide to ditch the choke, let me know if you'd like to sell the tubes.

thanks for the response, the stock is in relatively good shape still, it was broken and epoxied together when I bought it many years ago, I'll just use it as a pattern if I keep it full sized. Oh the possibilities