• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

jcvibby rebar stands REVIEW

timelinex

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2011
    Scottsdale,Az
    So I've been using the rebar stands custom made by the hide member JCVIBBY and I wanted to write a little review. A couple months ago, I needed a target system that could be broken apart to fit in my cars, since I didn't have a truck.

I bought 4 sets of his 1/2" rebar stands and got some rebar from HD. This 'system' worked perfectly for smaller targets like this (1000 yards):
    (rope broke so had to use chains for one of the targets)

20140710_090423_zpsff8986e2.jpg

Overall the system worked great but had one problem. When I would try using a bigger plate like a 24" ar500, the skinny rebar legs would buckle and split, so it was worthless. Unfortunately I did not take a picture, but I would not be able to let go of the stand without it all falling down.

Fast forward to a couple home depot trips and I found something that works! I bought 3/4 IMC pipe and used them as legs. Instead of going inside, it goes over the rebar stands legs. Here a picture of the 24" square (1550 yards):

20140710_091257_zps3fbb82ba.jpg

Fast forward again and I have a truck, so I no longer need to rely on my friend for the big far targets. I thought I would need to get a different system, but I decided it was worth trying to make these work. I just went today and it works! Here is a 36" circle (1950 yards):

20140723_060054_zps391712b7.jpg

And why not a 47" circle (2300 yards):

20140723_061432_zps3f661142.jpg

At those distances with a 338lm, the 1950 target barely swings and the 2300 just barely jiggles , so its not much of a swinger, but it works as a stand. For the 47" piece, the legs are still holding good, but with the angles of the rebar holders, the pipe has to be 6ft long. If the pipe was any longer, I feel like the forces would make it start bending in the middle. The 47" target is 1/4" regular steel (works fine at those distances) and thats about as big/heavy as I would go.

Overall I am very satisfied. 1 of them has a bullet through the top of it. I haven't used it with the heavier pieces yet, but it worked just fine with my other steel. One other one has one of its legs bend outward a bit. I'm not sure how it happened, but I noticed it before using them with the heavier steel. Maybe it even came that way. It still works, it just makes the stand a small bit lob sided. No big deal. Otherwise, the rest of them have held up well. Setup is a breeze with 2 people, but 1 person can do it himself as well. It takes a bit of creativity, but I was able to put up all those targets with no help.

Anyways, I thought I would share my experiences with this kit and my little trick to get these working with big/heavy plates.

Last edited:
    Thanks for sharing your tips. I need some targets bigger than 24" for my 1580y target. It can be a rascal when the wind is zipping.

I had some rebar that was laying around(5/8" I think) It was a little too big to fit in the target stands. A couple minutes on the bench grinder profiling the ends of the rebar to fit in the stands and I can hang some pretty stout loads on it.

I hung a 24" round 1/4" thick gong,. 3/8" thick 40% IPSC torso and one of Jake's mini coyote targets on one stand to paint them with minimal flexing.

JCsteel is good people and buying Jake's products gos to a good cause. That AR500 sure can take a beating too:D

These are nice. We should meet up some time for some shooting. Looking to meet up with some local hide members. Just met George (sib) from the hide a few weeks ago.

Jake @ JC Steel make a great product, great guy as well. Once you put the massive plates on there, it obviously exceeded the design of the stands, they are designed to be rugged but lightweight. I like your solution for someone that wanted to have the ability to put a much larger target on the same stand, and still be able to have the lightweight version for "normal" size targets.

that's a HUGE plate!!