• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Jewel trigger issue

omurnion

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2009
Jordan, MT
I just removed a Jewel HVR from my Remington and put it in a Templar action. I had to remove the bolt release on the trigger, which didn't seem to be a big deal. I installed the trigger in the Templar action, safety checked it, everything seemed great. Went to the bench, fired 3 rounds and then nothing, the action will cock but it will not fire.

I though o.k., I goofed something up when I removed the bolt release. I have taken the trigger apart several times, everything seems to be in it's proper place. Here is the part that blows my mind, if the 3 screws are removed from the side plate, everything functions as it should. If I put even one screw in and snug it up, the trigger quits working. If I had any hair I would be pulling it out.

The only thing that I can come with so far is the trigger won't function with the bolt release removed, but that really doesn't make any sense. I have several Jewel triggers and have never had a problem with them, but this is also the first time that I have tried doing something like this. Usually I just order them how I need them. At this point I'm open to suggestions, Thanks.

It will work, I've done it numerous times. I have seen this with the adjustment screw on the bottom backs out not allowing the striker to fall as well. Snug the side screws and then check everything else to make sure, I've had more trouble with the over travel adjustment screw backing out.....perhaps it moved while you were removing the trigger and swapping it.

So here is what I discovered now, snug one screw the trigger pull probably doubles, put another screw in, the pull goes up even more. When I put the last screw in, the pull goes up so high that you really have to reef on it to make the rifle fire. I haven't played with any of the adjustment screws, yet. This trigger went from a very crisp 14 oz, to barely functioning. I don't understand why it works fine without the screws in it, but once I start to put them in it all goes south.

Overtravel screw. It probably needs some loctite if it has moved...

Overtravel screw. It probably needs some loctite if it has moved...

Thanks for the help guys, that indeed was the issue. It seems odd that this happened after moving it to a different rifle, but their is no sign of locktite on any of the screws. That has since been resolved, and everything is back to functioning like a Jewel should.