• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Jewel trigger safety isn't working in AICS

bward

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 22, 2010
Oklahoma City, OK
Like the title says, I just installed a Jewel on my defiance action and put it into my AICS. However, the safety isn't working while in the stock. I'm guessing the stock needs to be opened up slight to allow the safety enough room to rotate back and forth. Is this right? If it is, is a something you can do yourself or is it best to let a gunsmith do the work?

Re: Jewel trigger safety isn't working in AICS

You will need your dremel. Don't expect it to be pretty.

I use a Bridgeport mill with a long 1/4" mill. Less than .050" from the inside of the pocket the trigger is set in, that would be the right hand side of the gun.

You can do it yourself, go slow and don't remove too much.

Be certain you check your safety linkage clearance in both positions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bward</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this something that is a common problem? </div></div>

On every one using a Jewel trigger.

I cut the stock with a mill. The side and the bottom of the safety arm will contact the stock.

Trigger3.jpg

i've installed Jewell triggers into AICS stocks simply by filing the pins on the trigger down, as making them shorter. both the head of the pin and "C" clip end, and the rivet on the safety "rocker" lever. just make sure to leave enough material. this worked on both LA and SA in the old style AICS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1sikpupi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i've installed Jewell triggers into AICS stocks simply by filing the pins on the trigger down, as making them shorter. both the head of the pin and "C" clip end, and the rivet on the safety "rocker" lever. just make sure to leave enough material. this worked on both LA and SA in the old style AICS. </div></div>

Grinding the pins isn't the correct way to do this. If the barreled action is sitting perfectly straight in the stock the trigger will hit the stock no matter what you do to the pins.

It is possible to rotate the barreled action in the stock to allow the trigger to clear and still torque the action screws, but now your barreled action is torqued to the stock rotated off center.

If you want the barreled action to sit like it should, and have the trigger clear, you need to mod the stock.

To the OP, Mod the stock.

I am going to have a smith do it after seeing how good yours looked. Thanks.

Had the same problem with mine also. Used a dremel and removed a little at a time until it fit and the safety worked in both positions.Doesn't take alot of time.

I take everything to a gunsmith when you pay that much money for everything what is a little more to have it professional installed. Plus they have a less likely chance to f it up than you do. If this was some cheap Rem Sps then I would be like get a dremel but custom action, expensive stock, $200 trigger, hmmm... do you really want to take chances?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Grinding the pins isn't the correct way to do this. If the barreled action is sitting perfectly straight in the stock the trigger will hit the stock no matter what you do to the pins.

It is possible to rotate the barreled action in the stock to allow the trigger to clear and still torque the action screws, but now your barreled action is torqued to the stock rotated off center.

If you want the barreled action to sit like it should, and have the trigger clear, you need to mod the stock.

To the OP, Mod the stock. </div></div>

worked fine on mine. no torquing. drop the b/a in and tighten the screws yields clearance on both sides. but whatever...

If I were to use the rifle before milling out the stock for the safety to work, would I risk doing any damage to the trigger? It torques in square, you just can't flip the safety on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bward</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I were to use the rifle before milling out the stock for the safety to work, would I risk doing any damage to the trigger? It torques in square, you just can't flip the safety on. </div></div>

If the stock isn't cut and if the barreled action is sitting in the stock level with the action screws torqued the trigger will bind on the stock with the safety on or off.

My suggestion is mod the stock of the trigger but I myself mod the stock which is the correct way to do this.

bward,

Most of the time, should you persist in trying the rifle without relieving the stock, you will get one bang, and then the bind that the trigger is in, won't allow the trigger to reset when recocking. You will run the bolt, and the firing pin drops as the bolt handle is lowered. You probably won't hurt the trigger, but you won't be using the rifle more than once, without loosening the action screws.

After all, you spent all that $$$, take one more day and make it right.

I milled the trigger well .022. The Jewell trigger safety rotates perfectly. Clean job. Applied some black magic and all looks factory stock. Too much money to spent to resort to dremel of grinding on trigger pins.

AI has to be well aware of this problem.

As <span style="font-weight: bold">expensive</span> as their stocks are, why the hell cant they correct this issue?

They could open the lug area up a little bit too so it will take up to a .350" lug.

I guess changing their CNC program would be too difficult.

Accuracy International made this stock for a drop in fit for a remington 700. Which it does.
They are hardly the most forward thinking company in the world. My friend installed a complete new computer system at their works in England a few years ago, and he said Noah built the first one.
It takes a long time for AI to change anything.

If someone comes in to me for a jewell fitting on an AICS system, i do the milling for nothing. It takes all of ten minutes.

Dont damage the trigger by bodging, jewells are precision things, that dont take kindly to being bent outa shape.

I just dont see why a simple change cant be made that they <span style="font-weight: bold">know</span> will help the industry, and make their product more worth the price tag.
Remington just changed their trigger design. What if it would have been different like the Jewels?

Its not that I mind taking 10 minutes to mill on it, its that people have to go through the trouble to have it done after paying $850 for an aluminum and plastic stock.

Do they cost less in the UK? Whats the mark up in the states for them?

In the UK, the non folder with the adj cheekpiece costs £625 retail most places.
At the current exchange rate today, thats just over $1019.

Rip off Britain.

I,ll bet you guys aren,t paying that much, and the damn things are made in England !

I really like their stocks. But I just cant figure how they come up with their prices.

My buddy just bought a 1.0 for $550.
Another just bought a 1.5 for $850.

The difference between the two is a cheek rest. Hell the 1.0's even have the cheek piece modification done to the chassis. The 1.5's just come with different skins and the cheek rest itself.

How do they go from $550 to $850? Then to over $1000 for the folder.

Theyre made up of 3 or 4 pieces of aluminum welded together, and plastic skins. Ejection molding is cheap. Aluminum in bulk is cheap. Especially 3 or 4 small pieces and not one solid chassis.

Its too bad there isnt an American made replica. There are stocks that are similar, but not the same.

I'm sorry to hear they cost even more in the UK. I kinda understand why though.