• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Jewell bolt release issue

TexanAviator

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2009
Houston
Just wondering if this is normal. This is a replacement unit from Jewell, my last one fit perfect in the bolt stop notch, this one is alot shorter. I bent it up to contact the bolt release but it is pretty darn tough to press and also has a tough time returning to it's normal position since the bolt release is being torqued sideways, I have to bang on the side of the rifle for it to pop back up. Spring/bolt release/rifle bran new, never fired.

Hi-Res

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3597/3466875708_5236a6607c_b.jpg

3466875708_5236a6607c_b.jpg

example of it sticking when bent to contact bolt stop

3466929952_02929a0326_o.jpg

Re: Jewell bolt release issue

just went to respond to a post and it disappeared....

Both parts are in their proper position and should be contacting.

Bolt Release - Down
Bolt Stop - Up

The bolt release should be contacting that pocket of the bolt stop in this position.

Ya I realized I was mistaken
smile.gif
My bad

The bottom of the bolt stop wasn't ground down at all? It kinda looks like it from the side.
Stupid question though cuz you said it's brand new

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ya I realized I was mistaken
smile.gif
My bad

The bottom of the bolt stop wasn't ground down at all? It kinda looks like it from the side.
Stupid question though cuz you said it's brand new </div></div>

I polished the area where it was binding up, but did not change the notch or anything, which is where the bolt release should be contacting. I wanted to get an extra bolt stop and spring but Remington told me I had to be an FFL to get them.

The last trigger I had from Jewell (which they replaced) fit perfectly into the groove but kept slam firing. I am about to say forget it and go with a different brand.

you can get the stuff you need from midway USA, no FFL required

the one you have looks odd, I think something might be amiss there

Replacement unit from Jewel? Last one fit that stop and functioned fine??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you can get the stuff you need from midway USA, no FFL required

the one you have looks odd, I think something might be amiss there </div></div>

I looked, could not find a bolt stop on midway

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Replacement unit from Jewel? Last one fit that stop and functioned fine??

</div></div>

first unit the trigger shoe was sticking causing some slam fires. replaced under warranty.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They have them in stainless and blued,
this page
http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.ex...ategorystring=10636***10560***9143***11370***

Blued part #

Stainless part #
</div></div>

you are the man

going to pick up a few spare springs as well. thanks

oh and hey, the front trigger pin is the sear pin right?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=582035