• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Jewell Trigger is it worth it??

map_it

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2010
I'm on the fence if a Jewell is worth an additional $110 - $120 over a Timney Trigger...
I'm not a competiton shooter just a weekend warrior and avid hunter.

The trigger is going on a Stiller Action .308 22" Lt. Varmit Barell on a Manners Stock if it matters??....

(From what I've read I'm afraid to buy one as I do not have $230 bucks for every AR and Rifle I own.....)

Re: Jewell Trigger is it worth it??

greatscottshooters.com sells them for $203 delivered.

I upgrade any rifle that will be shot at long range with a Jewell. If you would put your location in your profile maybe someone close to you will chime in and offer to let you fondle their rifle that has one in it.

I have a Jewell. It pulls duty on rifles that see only benchrest use. Timneys are on several of my sticks, but the
go-to trigger for me is the Shilen Match. It does not come with the bolt stop like the Timney, but I like the Shilen enough not to mind.

david

screw the jewell, get a shilen half the price more reliable and feels damn good, or get the timney. jewell's should stay on bench and f class rifles, sorry i am a bit jaded since mine broke with one blown primer. i also have 2 other friends who have had them break.

No issues here with my jewel. I guess you have good and bad experiences with everything. That is what shapes how you feel about things.

I had a Jewell and hated it.....I know I am in the minority but it felt spongy. The trigger has a small spring in the back of the trigger shoe that compresses as you squeeze. Jewell adjusted it.....smith adjusted it.....I adjusted it....and nothing made me like.

Jewell told me my finger made it feel spongy...regardless it did not work for me.

Shilen feels much better.....TO ME.

I have 4 jewells. never had a problem with any of them.

had 2 jewells, went back to a stock Rem and a Timney. Jewell triggers work great on safe queens but are not so good for feild use

I have some Jewells. A few are on benchrest only guns but some on tac guns. I have never had issue with a Jewell but know those who have. Some bench shooters carry around an extra in their tool box just in case.
I prefer the old style (flat back) Remington trigger with some careful screw turning and Wolfe springs. You can get in at around 2 to 2/12 pounds with no creep or over travel.

I just ordered a Timney, as I have heard less complaints about them compared to the Jewells...

That and my rifle is not just a Bench Queen

I own at least one of the (Jewell, Shilen, Timney, Rifle Basic, tuned Remmy's) triggers & my Shilen in my main coyote rifle is my favorite!

They are all good as far as craftsmanship goes.. if at all possible try to dry fire a couple if you can. A good Smith can pretty much make it feel just right for your liking.

If it's for a range gun, and you like a thin trigger shoe, then it's worth it.

I have a Jewel, Timney, and Rifle Basix, and thats the order that I like them. If money is tight, the Timney will make you happy. My Jewel has made it to 1K rounds in the last 4 months without a hiccup.

ALL my Jewells get it DONE........... Mr Larry at greatscottshooters.com has FREE shipping on them!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 1.5# jewel in my 6.5L, very nice trigger. Thin shoe with sharper edges is my only complaint.

My timney on my .300wm at 1.5# is great as well. Wide shoe makes it nice.

remington X mark trigger on my .223-I had my gunsmith adjust it down around the 1.5# range and it amazed me how good it felt, I will never replace it unless there is a malfunction down the road, even then I'd go back to the stock trigger and adjust it. shoe width is between the jewel and timney with nicely rounded edges. very nice.

just ordered a timney. Just couldnt see forking over the extra $100. Cant wait!

beretta_man11 remington X mark trigger on my .223-I had my gunsmith adjust it down around the 1.5# range and it amazed me how good it felt said:
Same here. I was really impressed with what a good 'smith can do with the X Mark.

I have had several very good smiths tell me that Jewells do not like and/or tolerate dirt. I have not had a problem with the Jewell on my tactical but their are many accounts of hunters who have had Jewells fail when they got dirty.

I mostly shoot Jewell triggers, I currently have 7, and never had a problem with them, Ive seen one person have a problem with their Jewell trigger sent it back and got a new one without any problems.
Timiney is also a good trigger and I have some of those too but they are not a Jewell. Rifle Basic is not a good trigger Ive tried 2 and both were not good, but maybe I got 2 bad ones in a row. Never used a Shilen but have heard they are good

Simply use lighter fluid, flush it out, clean. No biggie. It's a great trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BNix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm on the fence if a Jewell is worth an additional $110 - $120 over a Timney Trigger...
</div></div>

NO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: netranger6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Simply use lighter fluid, flush it out, clean. No biggie. It's a great trigger. </div></div>

^^^ Yup... mine are not a duty guns, but they aren't exactly safe queens either. No issues with my Jewells.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 5Redman8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a Jewell and hated it.....I know I am in the minority but it felt spongy. The trigger has a small spring in the back of the trigger shoe that compresses as you squeeze. Jewell adjusted it.....smith adjusted it.....I adjusted it....and nothing made me like.

Jewell told me my finger made it feel spongy...regardless it did not work for me.

Shilen feels much better.....TO ME. </div></div>

I had the same issue where my Jewell trigger felt spongy when I tried to set a heavier weight (3lbs). You could feel that spring compress as you squeezed the trigger. At lighter weights, no problem.

Jewell has it's place and is worth it when playing on it's field. If it is not going to be on a bench most of the time, then the Timney is my first choice. As a matter of fact, I only use Jewell on strictly target guns anymore. I have used all the ones mentioned above a lot, with the Timney being the only one with zero issues, and very good performance. That's not to say Timney can't have issues, I just haven't had any.

I have fired a couple of Jewells. Nothing really that special IMO. The shoe is too skinny for my taste. And whoever said Huber, just don't run around with one in the chamber and bump into something!

No need to get a complicated and expensive trigger. My Timney and tuned 700 trigger have never failed me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it's for a range gun, and you like a thin trigger shoe, then it's worth it. </div></div>

Graham is right. The jewel has a thinner shoe. I like the timney my self. 2 to 2.5 pounds for comp and hunting. I shoot the same rifle for both. Jewel is good too

I'v had a Jewell on my hunting rifle for 4+ years. Never a problem in rain, snow, mud, dust, etc. Great trigger. There are other good ones as well. Timney has a good rep (as stated by others here) I don't currently own any but have had one in the past. Before I spent he $$$ I'd get with a good 'smith and have him give your Remmy trigger (if you have one) a once over. You may be surprised how good it can be.

Got a timney a few weeks ago and can say best purchase i have ever made.

I've got 8 jewell triggers and love them. I've put them through some dirt and grit and havn't had a hangup. Just have to clean them out with some lighter fluid after they get dirty.

+1 for larry @ greatscottshooters.com

Timney trigger in my opinion is just as good and requires less maintenance than a Jewell. Jewell triggers are overpriced.

I say figure out a way to try them out. Find someone with a rifle that has the type you wanna try and try it. It is the only way you will know if it is worth it.

It is completely based on personal preference. I have a Jewel on my 5R and I think it is the cat's meow. Some people think their factory trigger is the best they could have.

So whatever.

I like the triggers that Tom Myers makes way better than any Jewel trigger.

After having a Timney and shooting a rifle with a Jewel, I would take the Jewel every time... Of course, I dont like a big shoe. I really like the thin shoe of a Jewel as it just feels better.

I'm with all the Jewell supporters.. I have 3 customs and run all jewells on them. Haven't had any issues what so ever.... But I will say I haven't tried a Timney either!

^^^ Yup... mine are not a duty guns, but they aren't exactly safe queens either. No issues with my Jewells.

Edited by RicosRevenge (02/18/11 11:12 AM)

Some thoughts I learned:

- JEWELS DON'T LIKE RED DIRT!!!!!

~ "Low Cap Mag Rico"