• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Jewell Trigger Question?

Leaddog

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2009
Delaware
I recently received and installed a Jewell HVR Trigger in my Remy 700 5R .308. I have made no adjustments to the trigger assembly. These triggers are shipped with a factory preset of 1#. It feels very light. My question....

I shoot handloads with Federal 210M, CCI Br-2 primers and occasionally M118LR ammo. Will this trigger fire all my ammo with 100% reliability or will I experience some light primer strikes? I can't get out to the range until next week to find out for myself.

What experiences do you have with this trigger assembly? Have you made further adjustments or have just shot it straight out of the box? All comments appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Jewell Trigger Question?

It'll be fine. I've never had a problem with a light strike and I've owned/shot several Jewells.

them triggers are best utilized by proFESSionals.....so pack it up and sent it to me Boltripper....i'll take care of it for you and keep you from doing something ignorant with it.

Thanks for the quick responses. Anyone adjust their triggers further than the factory presets? Any advantages to doing so? Thank you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leaddog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the quick responses. Anyone adjust their triggers further than the factory presets? Any advantages to doing so? Thank you.</div></div>

possibly if you decide to run and aftermarket firing pin and stronger spring....THIS lash-up will in fact change the trigger let-off.....THATS why i suggested you send the trigger to me.....Boltripper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jewell triggers don't tolerate particulate matter very well but they are great triggers. You'll have no issue with light strikes.... </div></div>

+1...

I have 3 Jewell's and they all work very well. But like mentioned above. If you pop a few primers or shoot in heavy dust, you need to rinse the trigger assembly with lighter fluid to clean it.

good info. I just installed one of these as well. I love how light of a pull you can set them up. I made the 2nd stage like a hair trigger and it seemed like it striked the same as if it were on a tighter setting. My guess is how the spring is for striking, its not changed at all with your adjustments. so that shouldnt be an issue.

A little overtravel and regular lighter fluid baths will keep the Jewels up and running

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leaddog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. . . Will this trigger fire all my ammo with 100% reliability or will I experience some light primer strikes? . . .</div></div>

The trigger really has nothing to do with "light primer strikes." Those are caused by weak firing pin springs. The trigger simply releases the firing pin.

I have been very please with every Jewell that I have ever had. They are pretty easy to adjust if you want to, but you should be able to drop them right in and go. If you want to check the trigger strike before you go to the range, drop a new snap cap in there and see how it hits the spring in it. You will be able to tell by the indention on the "primer area". Not the best method, but a method nonetheless. As others have said, it will be fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">them triggers are best utilized by proFESSionals.....so pack it up and sent it to me Boltripper....i'll take care of it for you and keep you from doing something ignorant with it. </div></div>
Get in line, me first
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2500yards</div><div class="ubbcode-body">good info. I just installed one of these as well. I love how light of a pull you can set them up. I made the 2nd stage like a hair trigger and it seemed like it striked the same as if it were on a tighter setting. My guess is how the spring is for striking, its not changed at all with your adjustments. so that shouldnt be an issue. </div></div>

This post and the question of light strikes leads me to believe that folks are talking about two different animals-the Jewell R700 triggers and the Jewell AR triggers.
The OP asked about HVR, which is a single stage R700 trigger, and R700's triggers do not affect the firing pin's strength. AR triggers (no exp with the Jewell AR) usually have the hammer spring as part of the equation on adjusting pull (as in light primer strikes when using JP reduced power springs for lighter overall pull).

I like my HVR so far. Lighter fluid and lighter fluid alone should be the cleaner/lubricant and as stated if a little overtravel is allowed it will run better in the field than if you have one set to stop right at the break.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AR triggers (no exp with the Jewell AR) usually have the hammer spring as part of the equation on adjusting pull (as in light primer strikes when using JP reduced power springs for lighter overall pull).</div></div>

Actually mine is in an AR. The hammer spring itself does <span style="font-weight: bold">not</span>(<<edit) seem to be part of the adjustments at all. It has its own spring and is part of the second stage, which I believe just adjusts when it will release by changing the angle of the fisrt stage. Just how it seemed to me. I dont think light strikes will be a problem at all. you can only go so light on the adjustments before the second stage is basically gone becasue it trips it on the first stage.

Thanks, like I said, I have no experience with the Jewell AR trigger, it always looked over complicated to me.

But for the OP's reference to light strikes, the trigger in an R700 platform shouldn't have any bearing on the strength of the firing pin's strike (but the strength of the firing pin can/will affect the weight of the sear release).

FYI:

[Little late to the conversation]

I had a jewel trigger in my Model 70 and it was a single enclosed unit.

It installed without any complicated means, and was completely adjustable. (For the M70 is was two pins that held it in place.)

It's a GREAT unit, and I doubt the M700 variant is really any less good.

One thing that was that case, but should not be with the 700, is that the safety no longer worked with the trigger installed in the Long Magnum Action M70.