• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Jewell Trigger

Re: Jewell Trigger

I just bought one for my Rem and it is amazing. It came from the factory at 12 oz though. I had to do some minor inletting in my stock to make the trigger assembly fit. Because the jewel trigger is all contained in a housing, there are some extra little rivets that stick out. No big deal though. Just curious, which model did you get and for what rifle?

Great Scott was great to order from. I got two. Only one issue so far with my jewells. On my 7-300wsm defiance action i had my hunting rifle go off when i took my safety off while deer hunting. Gun was pointed in a safe direction but it scared the crap out of my and the hunting partners though i shot the big buck that was hidding in the trees we were walking. I have both Jewells set to around 2 lbs and havent had it happen again since. Freak thing? Anyone else? Kinda made my gun shy in regards to safety with my 7-300.

Ive got 2 Jewells, on on my 6.5-284 and 7mm-300wsm and both are around or under 8oz a piece. Ive never had a problem with either one of them.

Just a fluke? Hasn't happened since, although i take even extra percations and don't load it till right b4 is shoot. It happend when i was performing a safety check which was good because it was safely done and not done while aiming at something.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: belldar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a fluke? Hasn't happened since, although i take even extra percations and don't load it till right b4 is shoot. It happend when i was performing a safety check which was good because it was safely done and not done while aiming at something. </div></div>

Never heard of an AD done safely, while at the same time not aiming at something, somewhere.

Have you called Guinness to have this phenomenon recorded?.....

Sir, I don't have to be there to know that an Accidental Discharge of any sort can not be done "safely", that's why it is called accidental.

Yes, you exhibited "safe" gun handling skills, due simple fact that you killed and injured no one when you had your AD. Yet you go blithely along and continue to hunt with a rifle with a trigger system that "failed" badly in the field.

If there be dicks on this thread, it ain't me....

Back off new guy, Bob was simply stating the facts, I don't beleave in AD's only ND's, you had a ND because you failed to adjust your trigger correctly, this is a common problem with any Rem trigger that is not adjusted by a professional, invest in some lighter fluid, give the Jewel a bath every 500 rounds or more if you live in a dusty area and it will give you years of service, if not it will let you down.

Did you mean that your AD killed a deer hiding in the bushes lol?

I have not had this happen on my jewell trigger in the field post install, BUT while adjusting the trigger at install and performing the safety checks I COULD make it happen.

Was the trigger checked for function after the install?

If your adjustments are off on the trigger, the weapon can fire when you are not pulling the trigger... Did you adjust it as per the order described in the instructions?

I think you need to examine the installation and adjustment since the weapon discharging like that should not be an issue. I have also heard cleaning issues cause problems in the trigger function as well.

Maybe have a smith check into it if you are not sure?

There is nothing safe about an ND/AD.

You put a hole in something you didn't intend to. Thankfully the commandments of firearms safety kept everyone alive.

Threads like this absolutely amaze me.

I will never understand why someone thinks a 2 lb. trigger on a hunting rifle is a good thing when I run 3+ lb triggers on COMPETITION rifles. Does killing a critter take benchrest precision? I am not much of a critter hunter, so I dunno.

Friggin' amazing.

Keep the benchrest triggers at the bench.

Trigger was adjusted correctly, cleaned correctly. Everyone jumps to conclusions. Just asking if any one else has had their rifle go off when taking the safety off? That is all. It may look like i am new to these forms but that is only because i look and don't post. There is a reason for just looking! This is why. Guys that don't help with a problem just make it more agrivating. Using these weapons is my lively hood and very important too me. When you assume that i am the one at fault i take it very personal. The rifle and trigger were adjusted properly. The trigger was cleaned with lighter fluid. I use 2 too 2.5 pound triggers for long distance shooting. My lively hood requirs this. Could i do it with a heavier trigger? Maybe but in my feelings not quite as well. Shit happens even to the best off us. You take as many percausions you can and do everything to the point of overly anal safety and things still happen. You won't find some one more safety consiouse then I. Just asking if anyone else had this happen? That is all. No need to assume anything else.

belldar,

Perhaps I've been too hard on you. So, let's start over and answer your questions:

Yes, I've had a rifle go off when I did not intend it too. It happened over ten years ago, and it happened at a rifle range. The trigger was an original Rem 700 trigger, which is now somewhat famous for this condition.

I was not at fault when the AD occurred. The rifle was brand new, and the trigger unsullied. My rifle was pointed down range, and no injury or damage resulted from that AD. I did not take it personal that my rifle had an AD. However, anything that happens after that first AD is the responsibility of the owner.

What I did, was simply replace the trigger, with one from a different maker. I did not call or write Remington. I did not sell the old trigger, or give it away, I simply threw it in the trash. A trigger is a cheap enough commodity, that if you get a bad one, you simply send it back to the maker and have them replace it, or buy another less "sensitive".

In contrast, and I'm not picking on you personally, what have you done since your AD? Have you replaced your trigger? Sent it back to Jewel with a note for them to check it out and replace it? Taken to a gunsmith?

Or have you just continued to use it, and taken no other action other than asking a question here? That's not jumping to a conclusion, those are the facts as you have presented them.

Without assuming and getting into your personal business, I can certainly understand that there are activities and livelihoods that require weapons and the use of a 2 lb or less match style triggers. But I'm pretty sure that hunting game in the field, is not among them.

But I've been wrong before. Again, you are not at fault for your AD. However, what proactive approaches you take to ensure that it does not happen again, are your responsibility. And dismissing what happened as just a fluke, never to happen again, is not proactive and in my opinion rather shortsighted. NO offense intended, just IMHO.

We are all adults here, for the most part. And a lively discussions, and nose tweaking, are part of parcel of adult conversation here.

Best of luck to you,

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: belldar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a fluke? Hasn't happened since, although i take even extra percations and don't load it till right b4 is shoot. It happend when i was performing a safety check which was good because it was safely done and not done while aiming at something. </div></div>

Usually if this happens with a Jewell it's because it's being interfered with by the stock somehow. The Jewell trigger isn't shaped like the Remingotn trigger and sometimes you need to inlet the stock to keep it from rubbing against or hitting the safety. Even though this hasn't happened since it will happen again if you don't inlet the stock. It can be done with a dremel, you need to beg borrow or steal one to get it taken care of. If you have a stock with an aluminum bedding block you may want to file instead of grind. Get some inletting black and check it out, I bet you'll find there is a point of contact.

Thank you. That was what i was wondering. I have not used the rifle since with loaded rounds. Just playing around seeing if it would happen again empty. I used my other rifle after the incident. Felt more comfortable not using the firearm. I am going to get ahold of my gunsmith and see if he will look at it again. I am wondering if it wasn't just some fluke or i got something in there to make it malfunction. I like the feel of my jewells but that incident worried me. The weapon soule be inleted right and all so it might have something to do with the actuall trigger. It went a few couple hundred rounds without any incident then that happened. Looking for opinions on what to do which you allready gave me some good ones that i was looking at doing. Thanks! You really weren't that hard on me im just easily irritated and deffensive. Allot of crapp going on in my life right now. Sorry to vent. Thanks and any more advice would be appreciated.

I do not like flukes, especially in finely tuned things lol. Something had to cause it.I am sure it will get worked out for ya. You need to be comfortable with the trigger, otherwise there is no point in having it on the rifle. Since everything was adjusted properly, and you have cleaned it per spec, I would definitely have a smith check it out again. There is always the off chance that there could be a defect or something like that. I assume that the company would have no problem taking care of you.

The stock touching/rubbing would be a great place to look next. I had to dremel my stock out a bit just to get the safety to function at all, so, it could very easily be an issue for you, even if it is just barely contacting it. After that? I would contact jewell for sure.

You mentioned having fired many rounds and not having an issue, that is tough. I would feel exactly the same as you about it if that had happened to me. Just keep going a piece at a time and you should find something.

good luck and keep us posted

I have to agree with oneeyedmac on relieving the stock when using Jewell triggers. I installed a couple and had to dremel a little out of the aluminum bedding blocks to get clearance. Otherwise the bolt didn't always cock and released when slamming the bolt shut.

Ground out 1/8" of material and the triggers worked perfectly. I now only install Rifle Basix triggers as it fits perfectly and is easy to adjust.

Now I'm a little worried about the Jewell. I had this happen to a factory Remington trigger about 5 years ago. It was my fault, I tuned it too light. I cycled the bolt about 10 times before it went off. Never loaded the weapon. No problem just adjusted some more and never had another problem with it.

Jewells are fine,... instead of grinding the stocks, just take off a bit of metal on the safety lever (pointed part) itself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will never understand why someone thinks a 2 lb. trigger on a hunting rifle is a good thing when I run 3+ lb triggers on COMPETITION rifles. Does killing a critter take benchrest precision? I am not much of a critter hunter, so I dunno.

Friggin' amazing.

Keep the benchrest triggers at the bench. </div></div>

To each thier own, but I tend to agree with this. BR type triggers and pull weights flat out scare me in field use rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TravisB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now I'm a little worried about the Jewell. </div></div>

Dont worry, you're in good hands. </div></div>

Never questioned you for a second.

I use a jewell trigger on my surgeon and crusader. The big problem is that people believe a litter trigger will make it more accurate. The jewell is a precise machined part and will allow a very light break. That does not mean that you should set it that low. The lighter the trigger, the tighter the chamber the more possibilities of problems.