• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Jewell versus Timney for Remington 700?

keninsb

Private
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2011
Goleta, CA
I am looking at installing a new trigger assembly on a Remington 700 in .308. I installed a Jewell trigger in another rifle and it is VERY nice, but notice a lot of postings where users have installed the Timney trigger setup instead. I am planning on setting up the riffle as a long range shooter and was wondering what the opinions are about the Jewell setup versus Timney. Any pros/cons I should be aware of? Any help/input is GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks,
Ken

Re: Jewell versus Timney for Remington 700?

i like the jewel triggers myself...dont have to do extra inletting to the stock , and i personally think they break more crisp and are in better...get whatcha pay for

A tuned Remington factory trigger is the way to go for field use. Next up would be a Timney and lastly the Jewell. If your rifle is a bench gun, go with the Jewell and be just fine. But if you plan on getting dirty, muddy, sandy, etc., I'd look at the Timney or have the remington adjusted.

How about the Shilen for field use?

I put a huber in my 223AI build, all Ive ever had were factory triggers and Im really liking it so far.

I have used Jewell, Rifle Basics and factory Remington triggers. WHile the Jewell is definitely the best feel it may not be the best "working" trigger due to the tight tolerances not liking any kind of dirt or dust. Rifle Basics, IMHO, has fallen down on quality. I always use the old style Remington 40X triggers when I can find them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: keninsb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking at installing a new trigger assembly on a Remington 700 in .308. I installed a Jewell trigger in another rifle and it is VERY nice, but notice a lot of postings where users have installed the Timney trigger setup instead. I am planning on setting up the riffle as a long range shooter and was wondering what the opinions are about the Jewell setup versus Timney. Any pros/cons I should be aware of? Any help/input is GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks,
Ken </div></div>

If you like the Jewell and don't care about the extra cost buy another Jewel. You know you will like it and be happy with it.

I got the Timney and I am happy with it. If and when I purchase another trigger. I will buy another Timney.

Can anybody recommend a Hide sponsor that sells Timneys?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally...I don't like the feel of the Timney trigger bow. JMHO </div></div>

Then get the straight trigger they make

I have a Timney in a rebarreled Mauser that had a 2 stage military trigger. It made a huge improvement. I have a Timeny on order from Botach. Sells for $120 delivered no sales tax or shipping. If you need the safety with bolt release it will be a #510. Check Timney's web site to be sure what you need.

I've shot Timneys, Jewells and Canjars.

My favorite, Canjar, but they can't be had any longer unless you can find one used.

I just installed a Jewell on my M-700 build and I love it.

Coming from the factory set at 1 pound, there is no creep, crawl or extended after travel. You get your sight picture, put your finger on the trigger, determine it's time to make the shot, and it's gone.

Done and done . . .

I shot the Canjar on the Anschutzs and Winchester 52-D when I was in college. In prone we shot a 1# pull. In kneeling and standing we shot a 4 oz. set. I wish I could find one of those triggers for a Rem. 700.

The 4 oz. set trigger was profound!!! As the sight would drift slightly into the center of the bull you'd think "shoot" and there it went. Those things were amazing!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shotdown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had the Timney and got rid of it quick. The Jewell is way better. </div></div>

Just because you paid twice as much for a Jewell trigger doesn't make it twice as good. Or better at all. All a trigger does is fire the gun.

I changed out a Remington X pro 3Lb trigger for Timney 1 1/2 to 3 lb trigger only because I wanted a lower trigger pull. The X pro worked great just as it was design to do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shotdown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had the Timney and got rid of it quick. The Jewell is way better. </div></div>

What made the Jewell better?

Jewel,thats why Benchrest shooters use them,because they are both reliable and very well made.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nevada Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jewel,thats why Benchrest shooters use them,because they are both reliable and very well made.</div></div>

And another reason BR shooters use them is they are fubar'd when they get dirty.

I've run Jewell triggers in my F-open rifles since 2005, never had an issue. Rifles have been used for a lot of rounds, wind blows so they get some dirt in/on them, and the triggers have been drop dead reliable.

Tactical/field rifle I'd go with either a tuned up Rem trigger, a Timney, or possibly a Shilen. Been a few years since I've seen a new Shilen trigger but my shooting partner had one in her tactical rifle that worked very well.

Dedicated F-class, long range known distance range use go for the Jewell trigger.
Field use, tactical competition I'd go with a different trigger.

Most of my field/tactical rifles are running massaged Remington triggers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nevada Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jewel,thats why Benchrest shooters use them,because they are both reliable and very well made. </div></div>

So is Timney,so is Remington,so is Savage or any of the other top of the line fire arms.

If you know what your doing and can properly tune and set your trigger they all function consistently, reliably, and safely.

If I had the Internal Adjustment Remington 40X in my .308 varmint like my Remington 700 .270 has. I would not have changed triggers.

Internal Adjustment Remington 40X and Timney are easy to adjust and have a very consistent pull weight with no creep, crawl or extension after the travel.

Pay the extra money for the Jewel if that's what you want. But your not getting twice as good a trigger or a better trigger in my opinion.

So far my Jewells have been fine (as he knocks on wood). We have a little bit of dirt here in AZ...

I recently had an assload of case head seperations in the dirt with my 6.5Creedmoor during a match. I had some issues with completing stages, but that's 'cause I had to snake broken cases out of my chamber not because all the gas, carbon dust and crap put my Jewell down.

Keep in mind that while I say my Jewells haven't let me down, prior to last month's match I made the observation that I had never had a case head seperation.....

My buddies like their Timneys, and I will be trying a 510u one of these days. The longer sear and thinner bow appeal to me.
What I don't like is the amount of inletting I've had to do installing the Timneys.

I have both and prefer the Jewell.
I have a Jewell on a hunting rifle that sees some serious use each year and never had a problem.

Out of curiosity those of you that had problems with Jewell what were they?

I have had both and over all prefer the timney, if i were just shooting at the range i may feel differently.

My vote is for Jewell. I have 3 and have never had a problem with them.

Just recieved m Timney in the mail today. I m impressed with it seems much nicer than the X Mark. Any tips to installation?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zeme05</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just recieved m Timney in the mail today. I m impressed with it seems much nicer than the X Mark. Any tips to installation? </div></div>

I just got my first one in the mail today. I haven't installed it yet, but the instructions look pretty simple.

dont be dislexic like i was and take the wrong pin out and watch all the pieces fall on the table other than that it was quite easy

Got it installed in about 45 minutes. Would have been quicker if I had paid attenton on how the spring for the bolt release went. I finally figured it out by looking for the shinny points that contact the release bar. Made a world of difference. Gun undoubtly out shoots my abitity!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zeme05</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got it installed in about 45 minutes. Would have been quicker if I had paid attenton on how the spring for the bolt release went. I finally figured it out by looking for the shinny points that contact the release bar. Made a world of difference. Gun undoubtly out shoots my abitity! </div></div>

The trick is...
don't take out the bolt release!!!!!!!!

Another thumbs up on the Jewel. Had a timney and paid the price to replace it with a Jewel...

Jewell, timneys okay to, but rem x-mark pro they will wear in and eventually get a bunch of creep in them I had one on my Rem 5R 223 and after 300-400 rounds it developed a lot of creep. Gunsmith said there was so much lock tight it be to labor intensive to fix so I bought my first Jewell.

I have a timney on my seven mag and like it. I've never shot a jewel, so I might not know what I'm missing, but the price is right on a Timney. Personally I like the wide trigger and the pronounced curve.

I have both Jewell and Timney triggers in a couple of Remington 700's. Also I have a Timney in a Remington made 03A3. They both are excellent triggers but for my own likings I lean toward the Jewell trigger. I think it basically breaks down to personal preference for what one likes a trigger to feel like. I have the Jewell set just a hair under 1-1/2 lbs. trigger pull in the target rifle. The other Remington 700 hunting rifle as well as the 03A3 with the Timney are set to 3 lbs. The Jewell has noticeable less travel and creep than the Timney trigger and the Jewell seems to break just a tad better than the Timney. My next target rifle build will have a Jewell trigger.

A jewell is not worth the plastic bag it comes in. i am against jewell. i jumped on the wagon of you get what you pay for... not true. i bought 2 jewlls from midway and sent both back to jewell for help with trigger slack. they returned worse then when i sent them and there customer service is horrible. returned them both back to midway. ordered a couple timneys and thats the trigger i was looking for! jewll is good for a light trigger but the little bit of slack will drive you nuts! i have the timneys set are 1 1/2 lbs and they work better than i thought. dont make the same mistake i did... and dont say i didnt warn you! the best way to find out what you want is talk to your buddys at the range and feel a jewell vs a timney side by side and you will know what im taking about. sorry jewell lovers but the truth be told

I run a Jewell, I must have gotten one of the good ones. I use the trigger in my match rifle. I haven't had any failures yet and its been thousands of rounds(I'm on barrel #3).

I have heard of others who had trouble with them. I do like the Timney straight flat trigger. I plan on giving that one a try.

I wanted a dual purpose trigger

3-4 ounces for target

1.5 lb for hunting

Hmmmmm timney can't do that

JEWELL > timney

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: micahb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wanted a dual purpose trigger

3-4 ounces for target

1.5 lb for hunting

JEWELL > timney</div></div>

There's a reason a Timney cannot do that...it's called safety.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Westtexan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jewel... Hands down! Cleans up with a little lighter fluid...
</div></div>

YUUUPP!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buckey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Westtexan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jewel... Hands down! Cleans up with a little lighter fluid...
</div></div>

YUUUPP!!!</div></div>

Every trigger cleans up with lighter fluid. It's what you use to clean triggers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: micahb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wanted a dual purpose trigger

3-4 ounces for target

1.5 lb for hunting

JEWELL > timney</div></div>

There's a reason a Timney cannot do that...it's called safety.</div></div>

ada3543d.jpg

Why Jewell so unsafe?