• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Jewell vs timney

Wisconsinner

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2013
Appleton, WI
I am currently building a bolt gun for range work/ Varmint, I really want to install another timney trigger, but the jewell seems sweet after shooting a friends rifle yesterday. It sounds like the jewell is prone to dirt, and sand but I am not too concerned about it. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Honestly I have used both and when tuned to my liking I can't say I really like one more than the other. That being said I have a few more Timneys because they are cheaper and people sell them on the forums here quite often. I have a 1# Jewell in my 308 and 1.5# Timneys in my 223 and 338.

This debate will go back and forth like mil/moa.

I have both, I prefer the Jewell

-more predictable (when pulling the trigger there is an ever-so slight spring tension, then break. Some may call it creep, but it has to be only a few thou of movement.
- in a stock Remington, the cocking piece slides over the sear a bit easier. With the Timney there is a bit more resistance when cocking the bolt.

I do not shoot comps, but recreational and hunting out on the prairie. Heavy winds/gritty dirt, looks like a tumbleweed apocalypse. I have yet to have the Jewell fail.

I have had both and prefer the Timney. The jewel has a very vague release but its big advantage is that it can be safely adjusted to a very light release. To my finger, the Timney has a more crisp release that I prefer. Like most things, you would be better served to try one of each on someone elses rifle and see what you prefer.

I have owned them all. I always preferred the Jewell until the new Calvin Timney was released. It's as good as any Jewell I have ever owned and better than all other triggers available. Jewell's QC fell off a couple of years ago. Get the Timney, you can thank me later

I have both. I like both. When I need to go real lite I go Jewel. Not so lite, I go Timney. I once dropped a Mauser on the floor with a Timney installed. Broke the tip of the trigger. Stupid move on my part. I called Timney to replace just the trigger and the gal on the phone insisted on sending me a whole new trigger. I told them what I did and they refused to take payment. New trigger showed up in a few days. If customer service is worth anything, Timney is worth a lot!!!

Almost forgot. I work mine in very dusty conditions. When it is time to clean, I blow them out with a little compressed air, then lighter fluid, and then air again. No problems. Timney or Jewel.

Have both and like both triggers. I would have to give Jewell the edge, they are extremely smooth triggers. As Victor mentioned, if going for a really light pull Jewell would be the way to go. It all depends on how much money you want to spend.

if its a bench gun, Jewell, a field gun timmney... Jewell's DO NOT like dirt and WILL fail from it....

ive seen 3 fail at matchs... all were Jewell

I have both, and I'll be quite honest......Both break very clean and I really can't tell the difference..............Timney is just easier on the wallet.

Almost forgot. I work mine in very dusty conditions. When it is time to clean, I blow them out with a little compressed air, then lighter fluid, and then air again. No problems. Timney or Jewel.

I've used the lighter fluid douche on Jewell triggers for lot's of years, no failures. I know that I don't know shit; but if you haven't enjoyed a match in West Texas when it "sands", don't tell me about Jewell failing in dusty conditions.

I've used the lighter fluid douche on Jewell triggers for lot's of years, no failures. I know that I don't know shit; but if you haven't enjoyed a match in West Texas when it "sands", don't tell me about Jewell failing in dusty conditions.

Well, maybe I have been lucky. Just so I am not surprised, what do they do when they fail ?

After having and using both. I prefer the Jewell. I feel like it brakes very clean but not quite as crisp as the timney. I think liking that a trigger like with a little bit of 'feel' comes from my military/pistol days.

I have a Timney 517 with the straight shoe set at 2 1/4 lbs and I'm loving it. I don't have much experience with Jewell but I've heard more bad things than I have with Timney. I have a buddy that swapped the Jewell trigger out of his Surgeon for Timney. I don't think you can go wrong with a Timney, especially when you factor in the price.