• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Job opportunity in England

I don't know how to do any of that shit, but I applied anyhow. Pick me, pick me!

I didn't really apply, I don't want to waste anyone's time.

If only I could finish my schooling a couple years early, I'd be all over that, at least for a few years.

It'd be worth living in England for a couple years. I doubt I'd make it a long time career move.
If you've never been to the UK, it's a really cool place (if you have an appreciation of history). Here in the US, if something is 150 years old, it's generally considered to be pretty damned old... over there, it might as well have been built yesterday. Additionally, the people (especially the Scots) are amazing... you want to talk about people who have pride in their culture and history coupled with a "fuck you if you don't like it" attitude, that's the Scots. Don't interpret that to mean that they aren't friendly; they're EXTREMELY friendly (and often hilarious), but they won't hesitate to tell you what they think about something.

I'd absolutely LOVE an opportunity to live over there for a couple of years... I can't see making it my permanent home, but an extended stay would be phenomenal.

Is is worth living in England? Probably not

You'd be surprised. In spite of their fairly restrictive gun laws, the UK is actually a very nice place to live (assuming you're not in London, or within the M-25 around London). I lived there for a few months for work, and then a few more months for Uncle Sam (long story). Fortunately, I was in the boondocks (East Anglia) and have to say, the people were quite friendly, the food was becoming more varied by that time, and the beer was outstanding. Friendly ladies too (of course Norwich is a college town, and used to sport the claim that they had a Pub for every day of the year).

As far as shooting, the competitors there were much more friendly and a lot more honorable (IME). It was a memorable thing shooting at the Bisley complex (had a temporary RFD) and met a lot of nice folks. Plus, there's a pub right there, across the street from the NRA museum, that was a perfect gathering place after a day of shooting with friends.

Even the local ranges were quite nice (I shot at one in Grantham that a buddy was a member of), and people were friendly, if a bit overly caution at times about firearms. All in all, a good bunch of guys...

I guess if you are outside London and the big cities it could be okay for a bit as all the "valued new residents" seem to congregate to the big cities.
London or other big cities are not places you want to consider living.

I guess if you are outside London and the big cities it could be okay for a bit as all the "valued new residents" seem to congregate to the big cities.
London or other big cities are not places you want to consider living.

Totally concur. Last time I was there we missed a tube bombing by 45 mins. Waaayyyy too many people in too small an area (London). The difference between the UK cities and the UK country side is a stark contrast.

When I lived in East Anglia, I was offered a position to stay in the UK for two additional years. When they told me it was North London, I passed. It was too bad, since it would have been closer to Bisley, but I just couldn't get my head around having to live in London and deal with all the nonsense there.

Visited my sister many times when she lived in London for 10 years...
Sounds like a great opportunity,,,if you speak Arabic.

I'm sure the UK is an interesting place to visit, and like here most of the country is probably relatively safe, but the government is completely unhinged. Now, since gun control didn't decrease violent crime (duh) they've turned their attention to banning knives with points. Acid attacks are through the roof and it's only a matter of time before they start banning household chemicals. There will come a day in the UK when the only thing you can have in your hand is a soft plastic spork.

Mind-numbing stupidity.

England would be a great place to live if you like crime and don't believe in defending yourself.

Luckily, AI is in Portsmouth, not London.

portsmouth_dockyard (1).jpg