• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

John Hancock 6 or 6.5 Creedmoor

aaatkr

Private
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2011
Looking for a PVA John Hancock rifle in one of these two calibers. The rifle will be used primarily for informal target shooting from 100 to 600+ yards. I like the fact the 6 has minimal recoil compared to the 6.5 and is a bit faster. I do not reload at this stage of the game. The availability of factory ammunition is greater for the 6.5 and barrel life seems to be 30 to 50 percent longer. Not a fan of the increased recoil though. If I shot 120 grain bullets with a brake would that tame recoil down to that of a 6mm with 105 hybrids( the round I would likely shoot with the 6mm) or would I be sacrificing some accuracy compared with the 140 Bergers more commonly used in the 6.5. The 6.5 is more adaptable to hunt with should I go in that direction. I have no experience with either caliber only owning .243 , 30-06 and rimfires, How is the 6.5 recoil compared to a .243? Should I go with the 6 and rebarrel as needed? I welcome your opinions. Thanks.

100 - 600+ range isn't a well formulated query. At 100 - 600, the 6mm cm has better ballistics. At 600 - infinity, good luck with that.

But are those Ballistics for “informal target shooting” worth the extra $800+ for a barrel every 12-1500 rounds? Unless he is competing, I would say no. You get 2500-3000 easy for an informal 6.5.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
Unfortunately I can't compare to .243 or 6mm, but in my experience, 6.5 is pretty timid, especially when the gun is heavy. My gun is about 17 pounds, and I can easily spot my hits at 600, gun barely moves.

6.5 is really mild. I've never shot a 6, but the 6.5 is a pretty decent step down from even a 308.

Get a brake and you won't even feel the 6.5.

The rifle weighs in at 8.7 lbs. without optics. probably add a couple of pounds complete. total of 10 1/2 to 11 pounds.

I have .243, 6mm, 6.5mm. In identical guns the 6mm is noticeably less recoil then 6.5. .243 is a little more kick than 6mm creed. If you shoot tons get the 6.5. If you shoot maybe 100 rounds a week get the 6mm. Actually if you shoot tons and all at 600 or less, get a .308

I have .243, 6mm, 6.5mm. In identical guns the 6mm is noticeably less recoil then 6.5. .243 is a little more kick than 6mm creed. If you shoot tons get the 6.5. If you shoot maybe 100 rounds a week get the 6mm. Actually if you shoot tons and all at 600 or less, get a .308

6mm for 100rds/week? He’ll be replacing the barrel every three months.

I switched from a .308 to the 6.5 Creedmoor due to recoil (and ballistics). Can shoot 100 rounds without any recoil related issues. As has been mentioned in several posts above, a heavier rifle with a good break helps tremendously. Mine, with scope, is about 15 pounds and shoot is off a bench quite a bit.

The Jetblast brake is available for a special price with the purchase of a Hancock. The coupon code is on the label inside the box for 1 time use. It cuts recoil by 55%+ on a 6.5mm Creed.

The prototype Hancock in 6mm Creed was fed a steady diet of only 108 ELDm Hornady factory ammo, it lasted 1800rds before it wouldn't hold 1/2MOA for 5 at 600yd

But are those Ballistics for “informal target shooting” worth the extra $800+ for a barrel every 12-1500 rounds? Unless he is competing, I would say no. You get 2500-3000 easy for an informal 6.5.
Hancock replacement barrels are $499.99

The Jetblast brake is available for a special price with the purchase of a Hancock. The coupon code is on the label inside the box for 1 time use. It cuts recoil by 55%+ on a 6.5mm Creed.

The prototype Hancock in 6mm Creed was fed a steady diet of only 108 ELDm Hornady factory ammo, it lasted 1800rds before it wouldn't hold 1/2MOA for 5 at 600yd

Well that may change things a bit. 1/2moa at 600 is not noticeable by the large masses. Likely push to 2300+ before most would care so this makes the 6 more of an option.

Reactions: n2stcks
If your on a budget 6.5 Creedmoor will be the better choice imo.

The only reason I would go 6.5cm over 6cm would be if I didnt reload the factory options are slightly better. I have both though and love the 6cm its really a great round. I can tell a noticeable difference in recoil between 6cm/6.5cm/260rem. The difference for me is spotting hits vs not and thats with a brake on all three rifles. In defense of the 6.5 I think it kicks up a little more dust on misses, also the barrel life on the 6cm is mediocre from the ones I have owned (CBI barrels).

My next barrel purchase will be a 6cm or 6x47 from PVA.

Possibly a good deal

Impressive!

6mm for 100rds/week? He’ll be replacing the barrel every three months.
If you aren't shooting 100 rounds a week why be on this forum? 2-3 barrels a year is nothing if you are serious about becoming a marksman.

Reactions: Possumpete
If you aren't shooting 100 rounds a week why be on this forum? 2-3 barrels a year is nothing if you are serious about becoming a marksman.

Very few people shoot that much. Most PRS pros dryfire more often.

Reactions: rookie7
I was taught practice makes perfect. Work out every day. Study every day. Shoot every day. What is 20 rounds of live fire in the early morning or evening if you are handloading. Of course I forget I have unlimited access to shooting on private land...I can see it's harder for guys that have to go to a range.

I’m heavy into USPSA and 3 gun. I often shoot from 500+ rounds a week from my pistols and rifle but I to have a range close and lots of free ammo. I am lucky having a job that gives it to me but I do find that the times I only dryfire, I often benefit more than shooting.

For my 6.5, I may shoot 1-200 a month. LR rifle vs a pistol or AR, the LR is in another financial league.

Mis gen Lee: Wrong! Practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. Practice reinforces habit.

Reactions: rookie7
You get 2500-3000 easy for an informal 6.5.

Even loading hot, the 6.5 Creedmoor has pretty decent (decent, not great) barrel life. I burned out the barrel of one earlier this year, and when it finally went (couldn't hold under 3/4 MOA anymore with any load I tried) the final round count was 2000 of factory Federal GMM and 1,500 rounds of handloads that were mostly 123gr SMK's at 3110 fps and 147 ELD-M's at 2900 fps with about 200 rounds of various Cutting Edge, Warner Tool, and Berger 140 Hybrid loads (the CE and WT loads were anywhere from 3000-3400 fps. the Bergers were at 2900-3000).

Reactions: Ripdog28
I’d be really thinking improving my recoil management skills if the recoil of a 6.5 Cm is a deterrent.
I have read where the same guy buys a new rifle and says that it has non existent recoil. Then 3 months later buys a smaller caliber rifle due to recoil. Holy shit Kungfu! What did I miss?

Reactions: trob_205
Don’t think that extends much as it literally removes material to smooth out the bore.

I talked to a guy at the range who used it on a 6.5x47 and he saw a 40fps increase in speed.. He said the groups were a little better, but the main thing was the speed for him

I'm sure Tubb wouldn't advertise it as that without it working.. While he is confident in himself.. I've never heard him spew bullshit

I talked to a guy at the range who used it on a 6.5x47 and he saw a 40fps increase in speed.. He said the groups were a little better, but the main thing was the speed for him

I'm sure Tubb wouldn't advertise it as that without it working.. While he is confident in himself.. I've never heard him spew bullshit

Although it may speed up the bullets, improve groups on a not so well finished barrel, I highly doubt it will improve a top barrel, Krieger, Benchmark, etc already have a highly finished bore. I have also read some barrel Companies state to not use them.

You also claimed extends Barrel life, I don’t see that as it is literally removing material.

Although it may speed up the bullets, improve groups on a not so well finished barrel, I highly doubt it will improve a top barrel, Krieger, Benchmark, etc already have a highly finished bore. I have also read some barrel Companies state to not use them.

You also claimed extends Barrel life, I don’t see that as it is literally removing material.

This guy was using Criterion barrels..

Doesn't matter if it's a top tier barrel or a stock savage barrel if the barrel is slowing down it's time to get a new one... Basically final finish is more like fix-a-flat than a new tire

Not sure your point? If a barrel is wore out, the throat goes out first. These bullets will not refinish the throat. The Final Finish smoothed a bore of a not so polished barrel from my gathering. There is no fixing a throat less you rechamber the barrel.

I had a 6 Creed spun up and the barrel went to shit before 700 rounds. No thanks.

For the slight increase in recoil, I'll take the 6.5 all day long and twice on Sunday.

I had a 6 Creed spun up and the barrel went to shit before 700 rounds. No thanks.

For the slight increase in recoil, I'll take the 6.5 all day long and twice on Sunday.
Interesting that .5 mm should make so much difference. Guys are reporting 3k plus out of the 6.5. I wonder if it was that specific barrel. Can you share whose it was?

Interesting that .5 mm should make so much difference. Guys are reporting 3k plus out of the 6.5. I wonder if it was that specific barrel. Can you share whose it was?

Could have been the barrel. I know others are seeing much higher round count than I achieved.

I won't mention their name.

Could have been the barrel. I know others are seeing much higher round count than I achieved.

I won't mention their name.
Got it. I'm curious now to see what mine does. I had a .243 start opening up for me around 1400 and was hoping for 2000 out of my 6 creed.

I have a 6 creedmoor and a 6.5x47. The 6.5x47 is pretty comparable to the 6.5 creedmoor. I shoot both suppressed. The 6.5 does not have noticeably more recoil than the 6. Personally I don’t have issues with recoil until I get up to my 1903 shooting 30-06 with the steel butt plates.

If you are only shooting less than 1000 yds the 6mm wont do much for you IMO. I reload, so the 6mm pushing 110 smk’s give me significantly better ballistics over the 6.5x47 using a 140 Rdf. If you are shooting 1200 yds, then it might be different but you should be good with the 6.5.

Got it. I'm curious now to see what mine does. I had a .243 start opening up for me around 1400 and was hoping for 2000 out of my 6 creed.

Guy I shoot with had a 6.5 barrel go south in like 500 rds. It was a top tier blank chambered by a good smith. Sometimes I guess some barrels are just bad. Doubt barrel manufacturers are doing things like chemistry and microhardness testing each incoming bar and outgoing blank. Gotta remember the way a lot of the steel companies work is reduction of scrap through testing till passing results with the hope that the material doesn't come back on quality, especially on small quantity users like most barrel manufacturers. This is because quality costs for retreat of steel is a big metric used in valuation of a company, as it makes it seem like they have significant problems with their production process. Then when the raw bar gets sent to heat treat they are only testing a few small sections of bar per large lot expecting it to be uniform. That lot could be 1000+ bars to be made into blanks.