• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Joining the Army in a year and need fitness tips

EricM40

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2009
Georgia
Hey all, I've decided to join the army in a year. Why a year? It's because I want to get in better shape, it's the busy season at my job, and I have a dog that I love and have spent the last 4 years training to be my ultimate hunting partner. I will be spending that time getting my affairs in order and finding a great home for my dog before signing up.

I'm very interested in Combat Medic, EOD, or Airborn. I'm 24, will be 25 when I join, 6'5 248lbs. I would like to get down to under 220. You should know that last october i weighed in at 292lbs. I'm not bragging, just stating some facts. Does anyone have any fitness tips to better prepare myself for basic so that I can focus on skills that keep my alive instead of my muscles in pain?

Thanks in advance.

Eric

Re: Joining the Army in a year and need fitness tips

Hey,

I will be going to the 82nd Airborne Division. If you want to be airborne or light infantry, you need to be at the top of your game physically. Focus on long distance running and endurance type fitness rather than just trying to pump big weight all the time. The Army Physical Fitness Test will be 2 minutes of pushups, 2 minutes of situps, and a 2 mile run. To score 100 points in each event, you need to get at least 75 PU, 80 SU, and run under 13.00 minutes for 2 mile test for your age group. Personally, I enjoy long distance running and doing crossfit type workouts. I used those workouts to pass SFAS, and will be going to Ranger school in the future. Getting used to long distance running will help you in your ruck marching abilities with carrying 35lb packs and going for 12 mile tests. In the end, it all comes down to making up a plan with workout styles you enjoy doing, because if you dont enjoy it, then you wont stick to the plan. But just remember to get some running in at some point, some body weight work, and keep everything else mostly low weight / endurance focused rather than trying to get as big as possible. Not saying big muscular guys cant be effective, but usually the slightly more endurance based guys can go longer and faster. Just my opinion. Hope it helps.

6'5 248 !! Have you considered college football and basketball? Lol just kidding Good Luck man.

Join now, get all the paperwork and ASVAB stuff out of the way and stay in DEP for a year. The workouts there and the stuff you learn will help. You will also be taking time out of your IRR so that is a plus as well. Or you can just start going to DEP meeting on your own as well. You can get a workout buddy from a poolee and start working out together.

Swimming is the best total body workout there is. That, and lots of running, but work slowly into the running portion so you dont hurt your knees, feet or shins...

Good Luck!!!

Just work the hell out of cardio and eat right and youll be good to go. As Delfuego said cant go wrong swimming and running

First of all, thank you for considering serving Army! Second, listen to jps24 who gave specific PT goals you need to meet to max out your score. Work on those, you can still swim 2 miles in a hour but may not be able to sit-up for shit, for Army specific fitness work on what you will be tested on first. Get a ruck and put 50lbs in it and work up to 15 miles, if you've got hills fast walk up the hills & run down them with the ruck until you can run the whole thing. Slow twitch muscles need conditoned, you want endurance. When I was in I was 140 lbs & 5'6" & always finished in the top 10% of any speed march, ruck march, run whatever because I worked on endurance. I'm not special, I listened to good advice and I gave a fuck. What did that buy me? I got promoted and when schools became available I got asked if I wanted them first (we all want to do the cool shit). Be proactive and you'll do well. Read a little on how Ironman triatheletes train, you don't have to do all that, but you may learn a little something about endurance that you can apply to your conditioning routine. Take what works for you and kick ass brother.

insanity in the am, crossfit in the pm, go hard in a running sport inbetween whether it be football rugby or even ultimate frizbee.

You have plently of time to get in shape. I work out 4-5 days a week and do almost ZERO cardio. I got my letter in the mail for the state patrol testing and i had a 40 days to get in shape and i got down to a 10.30 mile and a half. Just run and get on a good weight lifting program and you will be good. Good Luck

lots and lots of leg spreaders in the shower room, joes hated them

Knock out a two fer and be an Airborn medic. As for fitness...most of the others have covered the basics. I do like the delayed entry option though.

get strong in your core(torso strength). If your not stable you will end up injured. I saw one person list that the tri athlete training would work well for you. I agree with that. I suck at swimming but I can run and bike like a freak. Running being the hardest, take your time with the running. Dont injure yourself otherwise any other training will come to a halt. It will come. The running speed will come as well. A good place to start a running regimen would be for three weeks run 3 day consecutive 2mi-3mi-2mi then off a day and run 3mi on a 4 day. Increase 10% per week until you feel comfortable with what you are doing. Add some speed work. Look up yasso's 800 speed work on the internet. They work great. Alternate running speed work with a cross training session on the bike.

Mr. O.

I can help here. Firstly, I'm not a doctor. You should talk to a doctor before beginning any kind of strenuous workout regimen. It may behoove you to get a heart rate monitor as well. I'd also get good, proper running shoes (the ones you need may not be the ones you want) and I'd get a pair of combat boots that are fitted properly. In general, you get the running shoes a little on the loose side, while getting the boots a little on the tighter side. Has to do with feet swelling.

While I'm thinking of it, ask your recruiter about any workout or PT programs they might offer, especially if you live near a base. When I joined in Spring '01 (age 24), they gave me a temporary Army ID so I could workout at Redstone Arsenal near home until I got to Benning in May. Sometimes those pre-entry programs will set you up with a workout partner.

If you have to do it on your own, DelFuego had some good, short and simple advice above. Join your local Y and LIVE in the pool. Treading water in the deep end and using both your arms and legs is a good workout; start with arm flotations to keep you going at first, then switch to nothing, finally to weights. Try to go as long as you can, an hour at least. Swimming is also good, as is running laps in water up to your chest/shoulders (you may want to wear pool shoes for that). If you have others, water polo is a great workout and a lot of fun. All of this will burn you real good without impacting your joints. This is good to know, you can keep in shape this way when you get injured. And based on your height, size and age, you will experience some musculoskeletal pain at some point.

A good book for on-your-own that worked well for me before I shipped out was "The United States Navy Seals Workout Guide" by CMC Dennis C. Chalker, USN (Ret.). While you may not be a Seal, the workouts in the book are well designed for soldiers and are designed to build you up from zero. You may not be able to keep up with the tempo, in that case repeat a week and so on until you can progress. Nearly all the exercises in that book are exercises we did either in basic or at my unit later on.

For you, I'd try to focus on meeting all the PT test standards before joining, but from what I understand, they changed all that, so I don't know what to tell you. Ask your recruiter for that. But being able to run 5 miles in 40 minutes or less with no problems will make basic a lot easier, and so will being able to knock out 100 or so good pushups in 2 minutes, 100 or so situps in 2 minutes, and as many pullups as possible. So will being able to move at no less than 4mph with a 35-40lb. rucksack on your back for 12 miles. This last part should be easy for you due to your size once you build up your strength. I was 6'2-6'1 and did well on road marches, really well.

If you do all of this, and for a year, you will be so well prepared for the physical part of basic that it won't be a challenge at all. If you show that kind of self determination, discipline and fortitude prior to basic, then the sky's the limit after and you'll do well.

A buddy of mine went college via the ROTC Marines. He told me that the best thing he did before going was to break in his boots. Good luck.

As for getting in shape, eat smaller portions, eat often and stay active. Start a routine. It's easier to workout/run everyday if 6PM if *your* dedicated time for activity.

Also, thanks for your future service.

run, run, run and do push ups and sit ups and run some more. start drinking beer too.

OFFS.

You don't have to be in excellent shape to make it through basic/AIT.

At your size I'd recommend not over doing it, you'll end up ruining your knees.

Even jump school, its not about how good of shape you're in, its about not quiting.

Want to do something, learn to shoot. The army will teach you to run, or give you all the opertunity you could ever need. But they wont teach you to shoot for shit.

Everyone told my kid to do all kinds of crap to get ready for basic, that he should stop smoking and start running.

I told him not to worry about it, just don't quit. I did get him involved in High Power shooting.

He writes me and told me I was the only one who told the truth about basic.

As too shooting, he had no problem, He zeroed right away, they took his practice score for record fire and used it, (EXpert) and he spent the rest of the range time coaching and assisting others.

The army spends about 1000 times more time on running then they do shooting. If you want to shoot, you're going to have to do it your self.

You're in GA, some time before you join attend the CMP Eastern Games and attend the small arms firing school. Best place to learn to shoot the service rifle.

If you can shoot, you don't have to run.

Seriously the armu WILL NOT TEACH YOU TO SHOOT.

As too going to jump school, at your size I recommend against it. Most of my 25 years in the RA/NG I was on jump status. I learned that big guys make lousy paratroopers. I don't mean to be offensive, its just the way it is. Chances are, if some one gets hurt on a jump, its do to their size.

If you really want to make an impression in Basic/AIT, forget about being the first on a run, be the guy who drops back and helps those that are having problems.

The army is about Team Work, not who can run the fastest.

I think if you ran and did pushups every 200 yards for 2 miles you would be in great shape for the army. In the Marines I invented a movement called an 8 count body star. It is like an 8 count body builder (from standing) 1)drop down into a duck stance with your knees up to your chest, 2)Forcefully kick your legs out into a pushup position 3) lower down in the pushup 4) push up 5) lower down 6) pushup 7) recover into the duck stance 8)explode upward in a vertical jump and kick your legs out in a 45 degree angle after you have left the ground and spread out your arms and land in the position of attention. If you can do 10 of those you are a bada**! Good luck soldier.

What about Pull Ups?

If i was 250+ and 6'4 I would be in college playing ball......... You can be a pro with that size.

Im in the same phase right now. Im preparing to join the Air Reserves. This was good information. Im running 2miles 1mile the biking 7 the next morning. Im trying to step it up every week. Im 6'1'' 232 right now. I also came down from a heavier weight 267. They told me I need to get to 210 to be considered.

Thanks for the info guys.

When I was active Navy, I ran a remedial fitness program. I had all of my students sign up for the fitness tracker at the US Army Hooah 4 Health website. Full of great nutritional, fitness and other resources. http://www.hooah4health.com/body/default.htm

You can also check the Army fitness regs and establish appropriate goals at the same site.

Good luck!

Run, run alot and run for time. Push-ups and sit-ups are easy to improve on, running takes a little work.

6'5" and 248lbs Hmm? I reckon you should go easy on the long distance running at this stage. The reason I say this is your feet may pack up on you just before real training begins .
I would do some running but keep it down to a level that helps your fitness improve but does not give you shin splits and blisters and aching feet or back . Running while overweight can cause injuries. Better to go in unfit but healthy than fitter and limping along so to speak.
I would combine light to medium running with light weights and circuit training . That way you get a combination of extra cardio fitness and muscle strength without knocking the feet and legs about too much if you are not that fit now that is.
If you are well educated think about officer training because it is way better to be one than an enlisted man.
Things you should take with you. Lanolin cream for your feet. You do not want hard cracked skin on your feet as it can cripple you . So keep your feet soft and supple with the Lanolin cream . Put it on at night while you sleep and put on a pair of socks . Blister patches and a small bottle of Betadine antiseptic to treat cuts and burst blisters as you don't want an infection in the feet . If you do get bad blisters there is a way to treat them so you can continue training the next day . What you do is get a hypodermic needle and suck out the blister fluid then detach the needle body and squirt it out then fill the needle body with Metholated spirits , rubbing alcohol or even whisky .
Then reattach it to the needle and squirt some in under the blister skin and reinflate the blister . It is going to sting like hell for about 30 seconds then it will stop . The next day you will be able to stand and run on the burst blister .
Bad blisters can cripple you for days and even weeks if they go untreated and I have seen soldiers dropped from training because of bad blisters preventing them from continuing their training.
Supplementary food is a good way to gain extra energy for long runs and obstacle courses. My secret energy food is small individual serve cans of sliced peaches in sugar syrup . Scull down two , half hour before you go on a big run . The cane sugar comes in quickly and the natural sugars in the peach come in later . It is not bulky in your stomach and dose not take away any energy to digest it . You don't want a big heavy meal just before a long run because it will not digest quick enough to help you and the digestion process actually robs you of energy for a while . Drink plenty of water the night before a big run to get fully hydrated and while you run drink as much as you can . Take a pair of flip flops ( we call them Thongs ) to wear to and whilst showering to prevent foot fungus.
After you have run 25 miles with full pack and rifle, ammo etc. you will learn how important your feet really are .

Check out MilitaryAthlete, its a lot of us SOF types are doing. It's a great program they also have different training plans depending what you want to do whether it be APFT and Selection, Ranger School and etc.

First let me say that your decision is a good one that will give you many avenues to look forward to. As far as your question goes as a workout that you are seeking. Many of these posts give good insight on what to expect, but look up TC 3-22.20 on the new program the military is incorporating as far as workouts. In Basic you will follow the weekly workout outlined in the chapters. There are videos on the net to give you some assistance if you can not relate to the reading.

When I was a Drill Sergeant we focused more on running three days week and the days we were not running core exercises were being instructed. Sometime in the near future the graded Army Physical Fitness Test will be changed to five events, but this talk has been going on for some years now but the PT program has already taken place. If you are new to running workout to a mile and time yourself and progress from there. On your cardio days ride a bike, go swimming, and climb stairs.

Good job with getting the upper hand before joining the military and good luck to you. God bless....

SFC Woodland
U.S. Army

Not exactly the best advice giver for physical fitness, but wanting to give a big headsup thank you for considering protecting our freedoms and rights!

I'd say party. Party a lot. Drink beer with your buddies and friends. Enjoy the time you have before you go off to boot camp. I am not saying don't exercise, just don't be fanatical about it. You are gonna miss hanging out with the peeps.

Take a 2 or 3 months before leave and start exercising on a strict regimen and still party when you can. Take it easy on your knees (cycling would be good and maybe treadmills) and joints they will remember it when you are 40 (ask me how I know I was 6'2" 235lbs when I joined and it was not uncommon for me to run 18+ miles a week while enlisted).

Most of all have fun before you go. Take it from a Marine you are gonna miss a lot of hanging out with your friends and you'll have plenty of time to work out and be a gym rat.

Most of all thanks for being a man and answering the call. We depend on noble people like you to keep the savages from thinking they can manhandle America.

And in between runs go running. Seriously. I was 275 lbs a year or two before I joined and knew I had some work to do. I'm only 5'10" by the way. I weighed in at MEPS at 182 and I literally ran my ass off.

I forgot to mention lots of endurance stuff but it was mentioned by others. Oh and ruck marches are a good way to burn fat too. Just take care of your feet. Remember that in basic and good luck.

-polarcow