• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

JP barrel break in

Proper barrel break in will help with copper fouling and actual barrel life. Now of course you can also ruin the barrel if you don't clean it properly by using a good bore guide and a good cleaning rod. Take the time and do it right and you'll be happy.

sent from my RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk 2

Prohibition is over, barrel breaking should be a thing of the past.

First get rifle. clean it once and make sure chamber is clean, then go to town... No break in with my LMT..... Just shoot the damn thing and clean it after shooting.
I need to know about barrel break in for a 3 gun match. Is it worth the time and where does it help me?

First get rifle. clean it once and make sure chamber is clean, then go to town... No break in with my LMT..... Just shoot the damn thing and clean it after shooting.

This.

Barrel break in is so much voodoo these days. I clean a new bore and chamber when I first get a rifle to make sure its free from any left over machining bits a pieces. Then fire away.

Ive never had a quality barrel take more than a patch or two to get it clean and still shoot bugholes......regardless of how I broke it in.

Break it in. The compound they give you is because John Paul believes it helps accuracy. If 1/4 inch on average better groups is worth it for you then do it. If not forget it

I was issued a Surgeon Rifle PSR in .338 Lapua. I followed Kreiger Barrels break in procedure to a tee. The barrel had a spot at the muzzle that was holding a lot of molten copper that was clearly visible to the naked eye. As the shoot and clean process evolved, the spot at the muzzle collected less and less copper fouling. I can now shoot 40-50 rounds in between cleaning with no loss of accuracy until the 50 plus round mark. The area that was grabbing the copper is now no longer holding fouling and the rifle will hold 1/4 MOA if I do my job. I experienced much the same breaking in a .408 following Federson' s and EDM procedure for break in. A little different method, but same results. Rifle cleans up in a few patches, accuracy improved after 100 rounds. Just a couple of hands on experiences with break in of a high dollar rifle barrel. I do not break in Chrome lined or production barrels. Just shoot them to junk and swap them out.