• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

JP barrel vs. Ranier Ultra Match barrel

drake22

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2008
Sunshine State
Looking for some first hand experience on the JP and Ranier Ultra Match barrels. I've been piecing this build together for ever it seems, and read and done lots of research. The only two things that I'm lacking are the barrel and handguard.

Ranier has the Ultra Match 18' barrels in stock at $395.

JP 18' or 20' barrels are $599 but comes with their bolt.

I know both have good reviews, and looking for pros and cons on both possible options from guys that have used either or both.

Would I be saving much weight in the 18 and the rifle length handguards versus the 20 and their 15' modular handguards? Or would it be very minimal?

Thanks in advance for the time and replies.

I personally am a fan of JP, I really like the customer service. And the fit and finish of their stuff is great.

While I haven't had any JP barrels, I am very satisfied with the handful of Rainier barrels I have.

I am very happy with the Ultra Match barrel I have. I have no direct experience with the JPs, however, one almost never hears anything negative about them. This seems like a win win, get a great barrel either choice.

I have a 10.5" Rainier Arms Ultra Match that I have shot sub MOA with. I am sure the 18" would be great and will shoot better than you would ever need. I have no experience with JP but I would put my Rainier against any other 10.5" barrel you throw at me.

I've personally seen JP barrels produce 1/4 groups at 300 yards, multiple times, with a Swaro 1-6x optic. My Next 3 gun AR will have a JP barrel.

I have a Rainier Select 14.5" barrel that is plenty accurate (read MOA at 100 with Aimpoint T-1). I am also very pleased with my BCM 410SS 16" barrel. If I wanted to save some jack, I'd go with the BCM. If money isn't and issue (which it won't be for my next 3 gun AR), then I'm getting the JP..... They're the shit.

I was considering both of these when looking for a barrel. The thing that turned me off about the JP barrels was the odd contour of it. The medium contour requires a .936" gas block, but is only .675" under the handguard. To get a .750" gas block and guarentee fit under my handguard, I would have to go with the light contour, and I was looking for something heavier.

I would go with JP but I'm biased. I would also get them to put it together for you. Many people think its just a slap together thing but it actually more complicated than that. All my JPs shoot

5.56, the Rainier will perform well. I have two that are outstanding. In fact, the first group I ever fired from the 16" super match was a cloverleaf under .25". The Match (their less expensive line) is actually as good or better with some loads.

I also have one of their .308s. I'm not as impressed with it as I am the 5.56 barrels. For a carbine it's fine, but in a precision role it's so-so, generally 1.25 MOA so far. I did have a great load that was sub-3/4 MOA repeatably, but it was way too hot and blowing primers.

I have 4 JP barrels in .223. They all shoot great. One is an 18" light contour and it is the best of the lot (others are 18" heavy and 20" which only comes in heavy). It is a pleasure to shoot because of the reduced weight. And its accuracy is phenomenal. It's been the secondary gun in two tactical sniper matches and performed awesomely. I had expected to sacrifice accuracy for a lighter barrel, but somehow I just got lucky with this one. Also, I put sleeve retaining compound around the barrel when I fitted it into the receiver. That may have reduced thermal drift. I'm not sure if it can ever be removed now though.

JP makes great barrels, but once you get into that price range you also have Bartlein, Kreiger, WOA, and various others. I have a Rainier Ultramatch and it does between .6-.75 and was several hundred less than the competitors. I like JP and would buy an LRP in a heartbeat, but comparing the 2 in totally different price brackets is much like the guys next door comparing Vortex PST's to Nightforce.