• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

JP bolt assembly in different carrier?

JDLawrence3

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2021
Lincoln, DE
Anyone run a JP enhanced bolt assembly in a different carrier? Would this be better than any other brand 6 arc bcg? (Odin, cmc, etc). Thanks.

When I built my Valkyrie, I used a JP bolt in a toolcraft carrier, no issues at all. The gas seals seem way to loose on the JP bolts, but I think that’s how they are supposed to be? I know mine would never pass the “stand it on end” test, but the gun runs like a clock.

The reason I did this was because I bought a JP barrel and it came with the bolt. It only made sense to use it because it was headspaced to my barrel and JP makes the best stuff. I would have had it in a JP carrier too but I’m cheap lol. Gun shoots sub MOA so I can’t complain.

When I built my Valkyrie, I used a JP bolt in a toolcraft carrier, no issues at all. The gas seals seem way to loose on the JP bolts, but I think that’s how they are supposed to be? I know mine would never pass the “stand it on end” test, but the gun runs like a clock.
That's how it's supposed to be

I used dozens of JP Enhanced .223 bolts with (now discontinued) Young Manufacturing National Match bolt carriers for several years with excellent results.
IMG_0781.jpeg

"The reason I did this was because I bought a JP barrel and it came with the bolt. It only made sense to use it because it was heads& a reputable suppliers carrier "
"

Regardless of what you might think, JP didn't do anything special like making a particular bolt for your particular barrel & extension., They make them all to the same specs & dimensions, went to the bolt bin, pulled one & simply confirmed that it actually did HS to your barrel..............nothing more, nothing less. Virtually any bolt from any major, quality supplier will HS correctly to a properly made extension & chambered barrel. The specs for the bolt, extension & chamber are well defined if adhered to. It's always a good idea to verify HS before assembling a bolt / barrel combination & I do, but in some 35-40 builds, I've found exactly one barrel that the manufacturer purposedly HS'd tight, that did not pass a HS test. It was easily corrected & performs just fine. (That barrel manufacturer has since changed their philosophy in how tight to set their barrels / extensions to) And yes, as others have said, JP bolts (with their cam pin) will fit any quality carrier just fine; I've used several as JP's finish on their bolts is the best available; their carriers are way over priced, however, but they are very nice also. MM

Last edited:
Just to add, I started a thread on arfcom about this same topic, but using a JP enhanced bolt assembly in a toolcraft carrier. The complete different feel of the bolt in the carrier was messing with my head as well.

After some back and forth with a few helpful members, I took the gun to the range and it ran like a scalded dog. In fact, it was the most accurate session I’ve had with the gun since I built it.

Did the JP bolt contribute to the accuracy? I don’t know. Most likely it was just me getting better with a new rifle and having the opportunity to focus instead of making sure my kids were enjoying themselves/learning.

But it ran smoothly and without a hiccup. I’m very happy I spent the money.

Reactions: Bluedog82