• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

JP Enterprise Rocks!

7disciple7

Private
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2011
Hi guys,

I just wanted to pass on a word of caution when dealing with JP Enterprise. I will present my situation and would love any ideas or feedback on how best to deal with it.

I live in CA and own many firearms. Over the years I have collected 11 handguns, 3 shotguns (one of which is a 20/28 gauge combo), 2 AR15s, and a few hunting rifles.

About a year ago I started researching a .308 SASS build. I dreamed of taking it on a night hunt, for hog, in the great state of Texas. I wanted to put together every single piece of the rifle myself. I wanted to fully understand the machine. I spent hours and hours trying to decide which parts would be best. Finally, in December or 2011 I ordered a matched upper/lower receiver from Iron Ridge Armory. I posted the ideas I had for the build here on the Hide and got some really great advice from guys like Killshot. Once my rifle is complete I will post the build in its' entirety here.

From the beginning I believed that a JP Enterprise Low Mass Bolt Carrier Group was exactly what I wanted for this build. It made sense that a lower reciprocating mass would reduce recoil/muzzle climb. On January 4, 2012 I ordered the complete BCG from JPE. My plan was to obtain the BCG and send it to Lilja Barrels to have it matched to a M110 barrel. You know, 20" @ 1:11 twist coated black and maybe some fluting.

On Jan. 4th JP Enterprise tells me it would take about 2 weeks to have a low mass BCG sent to me if I hurry up and order it. They informed me that the waiting list was beginning to grow and that I should get on the list now to make the first batch of BCGs. I believed them and ordered a .308 BCG on Jan 4th.

I call JPE on the 16th, thinking I should have a date when my order will ship. Instead, they tell me that there is no way I will get my BCG until after the SHOT Show.

After the Shot Show I called and asked when I would get my BCG. I was told "in a couple of weeks."

Febuary comes, and I call to inquire. This time they apologize and inform me there is a nationwide shortage on BCGs for .308s. I am on the list and will be part of the first batch to get one. A few more weeks...tops!

At this point, I start thinking perhaps I can save time by getting the barrel from JP Enterprise as well. I look up the prices and see they are about the same (a little more than Lilja). I call and speak to John Paul himself. He goes through his shpeal on how great everything he does is and how busy he is with the military. He told me that what he makes is so good that it is considered "jewelery." He ensures me that that if I get the barrel and gas block it won't change the amount of time it takes to get me the finished product.

Feb. 17th I call and enquire about my order. JPE tells me they just finished a batch of BCGs and I did not make it in that batch. It would be another 3 to 4 weeks before my order would be ready.

Here it is March 14th and I get a email saying they shipped my order...but they have shipped the WRONG barrel. I ordered a teflon coated barrel and they ship a stainless steel. They offer to recall the shipment, fix the problem and ask me not to use anymore curse words. They have no idea how long the switch would take. Mind you I am paying top dollar for all this. I never asked for any kind of discount. The barrel, block/tube, and BCG came to $1,050.

Members of the Hide, what would you do???

Re: Beware of JP Enterprise

Really? $700 and a 3 month wait to end up with a spray painted barrel?

Either cancel your order or suck it up and wait til they fix the problem. Not much you can do about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jerseymike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Either cancel your order or suck it up and wait til they fix the problem. </div></div>

+1....or, if you're in a hurry to get the build finished, just get the SS barrel cerakoted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jerseymike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Either cancel your order or suck it up and wait til they fix the problem. </div></div>

+1....or, if you're in a hurry to get the build finished, just get the SS barrel cerakoted. </div></div> I know, shame on this guy for wanting his product in a timely manner and wanting to receive what he ordered. He should be happy that they allowed to to even purchase from them and take whatever they give him.

lets be serious for a minute, the first thing i would do is move out of commiefornia and join us here in the states!

then i would cnx my order with jp

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyDonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jerseymike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Either cancel your order or suck it up and wait til they fix the problem. </div></div>

+1....or, if you're in a hurry to get the build finished, just get the SS barrel cerakoted. </div></div> I know, shame on this guy for wanting his product in a timely manner and wanting to receive what he ordered. He should be happy that they allowed to to even purchase from them and take whatever they give him. </div></div>

CD - you're not wrong...the expectation is perfectly reasonable....i.e that JPE supply exactly the goods he ordered in a reasonable time frame.

I'm not disputing that, nor am I suggesting that he accepts less than he expects/deserves and has paid for.

However, bottom line is JPE clearly can't meet this expectation or the requirements on this occasion, and it seems that they have been given a reasonable of time to do it. However, mention of military orders may indicate a good reason for the problems and that their resources are overstretched right now...I had the same problem with AI when I ordered my AW. For me it was a no brainer...I knew what I wanted, couldn't get it anywhere else and was prepared to wait. That may not be the case here

So, in answer to the OP's question "what would you do?", he needs to make a choice:

1) "Suck it up" and take what he can get (and push for some sort of sweetener from JPE for the hassle) and do something about the finish. If he's in a hurry this may be the way to go. "A bird in the hand...." if you like.
2) wait until JP finally get their act together and get him the correct kit (and accept that they can't/won't give him a guaranteed deadline on that)...or
3) bale out altogether and get something different.

I'd tell them to send the correct one out to you with a return label for the wrong one. You've already waited for 3 months so why not get it fixed. Sure it sucks when things take so long then seem to fall apart, but that's life. Shit Happens and you don't have to like it. Either let them make it right, work with what you got, or get your money back and start over.

I've been using JPE rifles and products for 15+yrs and can tell you your experience is unusual. Not to make excuses for them, but they're not one of the "big boys" when it comes to production capacity. They do business with the military and law enforcement and sometimes that throws a monkey wrench into their production.

That probably doesn't make you feel much better and you can certainly start over with someone else. I've always found their products to be worth the wait and occasional frustration with delays in shipping.

As DT1 said, that experience is not normal with JP, at least not IMO.

I am one of the happy folks who deals with JP quite often. I have ordered 5 uppers,a chassis, unknown amount of parts,etc. they have alwaysed treated me very well.
I would call and ask to speak with John directly. The advantage of them being a smaller company is that you cn talk with the head honcho. I am betting he will make it right for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Disciple</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Visa/debt </div></div>
Do a chargeback (if possible) and send them back the barrel C.O.D. If they don't pay for it then looks like you got a free barrel. I'd take my money elsewhere once everything is restored to your credit card.

Sorry about the mess OP. This is always a risk with the high end boutique guys. I think it's true for several others as well.

What is JP making for the .mil?

Get your barrels from Krieger, Brux, Bartlein, Shilen, Broughton, Obermeyer, etc from now on. They have awesome CS and are realistic and honest about lead times.

I hate to hear you are having problems with JPE but like others have said it is not the norm with them. I have been dealing with then for a few years now and they have always taken care of me.

If it was me, I would call John up and voice your concerns. I have shot several competitions with John and I know it would never be his intention to do you wrong in any way.

He is just a guy who loves the shooting sports and has a SMALL business making precision ARs

I would probably hold off on the cursing.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Disciple</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They offer to recall the shipment, fix the problem and ask me not to use anymore curse words.

Members of the Hide, what would you do??? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Disciple</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi guys,

From the beginning I believed that a JP Enterprise Low Mass Bolt Carrier Group was exactly what I wanted for this build. </div></div>

Just wait until it breaks and see how you feel. There has been some of that going around.

Thank you for all the advice.

$1000 is a lot of money to me, I am not rich and it takes a considerable amount of labor for me to have that much to spend.

I am not going to suck it up. I had already compromised by purchasing a barrel from JPE. A company that could not even take the time to review the invoice to make sure my order was correct. My $1000 was not worth that kind of consideration to them.

I am going to get the BCG out of the package and send back the rest. I will notify my bank of the situation in case JPE does not want to refund the balance. I will send the BCG to a barrel company who's employee's can tell the difference between a teflon black finish and a polished SS.

I'm sure John is a nice guy and really fun to shoot with but should pay close attention to the people working for him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get your barrels from Krieger, Brux, Bartlein, Shilen, Broughton, Obermeyer, etc from now on. They have awesome CS and are realistic and honest about lead times. </div></div>

How many of those manufacturers will custom chamber an AR barrel and send it to you?

Krieger will, I'm not sure on the others.

WOW deja vu here!!! I know this guy speaks truth. But I ordered in February. Last Friday I received my JP 16" stainless Supermatch barrel with enhanced bolt. I too ordered the black Teflon coating for the barrel, a $50 extra. And yeah, they sure did charge me for it, and yeah it sure didn't come that way, LOL!!! It is just stainless with a brushed finished look. But i gotta tell ya', I like it. I'm going to keep it this way I like it so much, and I didn't think I would like that look for my .308. But they still charged me for it. I haven't called them on it yet because I'm not sure what I want in exchange. I'm thinking though that I probably will use the credit towards the thermal dissipator thing for the barrel. It's $75 and I won't mind paying $25 more for that, maybe I can get them to do free shipping too, ya' know?

14d1wd0.jpg

Sorry to hear about the grief, but JP stuff is worth the wait.

I would call and talk to John and ask him to step up best possible...Not that they are the only game, but there is a reason so many top 3 gun guys run JP stuff.

Take the pain is my advice.
In the end you will be happy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George Mac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would call and cancel and order an OBR. </div></div>

I was thinking the same thing. $1050 in a barrel, bolt, and gas block would take care of 1/3 of the OBR there.

My limited experience with JP was so-so. I simply needed some in stock items, scope mount, heat sink, and something else. Anyway they took my order and then took their sweet time. It was brutally slow actually. I think about a month. They were nice enough over the phone the 4 times I called but damn...

Sadly, JP's quality control seems to have been going downhill of late. The last couple of uppers I got from them came 'minus' the in-house made rails (backordered). When I finally called after several weeks of waiting I was told: “We have a ton of those, I don’t know why we didn’t send them out to you.” On my most recent order two other pieces (already paid for) mysteriously disappeared from the invoice. When I called this time they said: "Oops, guess we screwed up, hopefully we can get them to you one of these days." So from my perspective: while they make very good stuff, they have left themselves lots of room for improvement in their quality control & business practices. They will eventually fix their screwups, but expect it to take time.
FWIW,
Cheers,
DC

Sorry to here. I build alot of AR style rifles and when I order parts from a company they get two weeks to get it to me, other wise I cancel and take my business elsewhere. And if Its a back order product that I can only get from one place, I wait untill they have it in stock then order it or I go a differnt route. It sounds like in your case you really wanted JP products I get that but was it really worth the headaches? I am glad I stumbled upon this topic, I was thinking of ordering a bolt carrier from them. If I do it wont be direct. Good luck with your rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RWH82</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I order parts from a company they get two weeks to get it to me, other wise I cancel and take my business elsewhere. And if Its a back order product that I can only get from one place, I wait untill they have it in stock then order it or I go a differnt route.</div></div>

I learned so much about the firearm industry by doing this build. I had to file fraud charges against "www.snipercompany.com" over an Atlas V8 Bipod that they failed to deliver or even respond to me. Just because a website says that have an item in stock does not mean they do.

I was really excited about JP Enterprise. Yes, I really wanted their BCG. They came across as this brilliant company with awesome solutions, a enthusiastic owner with a passion for firearms, and the precision machining to deliver the goods. Was it worth all the headache? That remains to be seen...but I doubt it.

The vendors I would give a triple A rating to are:
Mile High Shooting
Brownells
Geiselle (Even sent a T-shirt and other Swag)

DPMS was ok in every aspect but charged sales tax for out of state items. When I asked why, the replied because they do shows out of state...and thats where they lost me.

I think the bottom line to building a rifle is do not expect ANYTHING to get done quickly.

Just a FYI...if you are just ordering the LMOS bolt carrier you would probably be back on here complaining about issues.

For the LMOS system to work you need to run the complete system...the BCG, buffer, AND a adjustable gas block. If you just use the BCG and/or the BCG and LMOS buffer, with out the adjustable gas block...you would end up with very high bolt velocity and the recoil impulse would probably be more then a stock BCG/buffer.

So...again....sorry about your problem, but myself and many, many others have had nothing but good dealings with JP. Things happen. It sucks when it happens to oneself. But that is life. I am VERY confident that John will make this right if you give him a chance. Cussing, whining, etc., have a way of putting people on the defensive. And it seems from what your saying in your last post, you seem to have plain bad luck with companies. Maybe you should look for a new hobby like golf?

Take care,Stan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BgBmBoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Just a FYI...if you are just ordering the LMOS bolt carrier you would probably be back on here complaining about issues.

For the LMOS system to work you need to run the complete system...the BCG, buffer, AND a adjustable gas block. If you just use the BCG and/or the BCG and LMOS buffer, with out the adjustable gas block...you would end up with very high bolt velocity and the recoil impulse would probably be more then a stock BCG/buffer.

So...again....sorry about your problem, but myself and many, many others have had nothing but good dealings with JP. Things happen. It sucks when it happens to oneself. But that is life. I am VERY confident that John will make this right if you give him a chance. Cussing, whining, etc., have a way of putting people on the defensive. And it seems from what your saying in your last post, you seem to have plain bad luck with companies. Maybe you should look for a new hobby like golf?

Take care,Stan </div></div>

I can only assume you think I'd be back here complaining about the LMOS because that is what you did?

As I said in my OP, I am building this rifle to fully understand the machine. Of course you need an adjustable gas block and a .308 should be used with a standard buffer. This is why a Low Mass Buffer for a .308 is not sold. But thank you for the advise.

I never once whined about being run around. When the agent offered to recall the shipment and replace the barrel, I was told it could take another month to get it back painted in black. I told him that was bullshit. Which it is. I wasn't talking to my Mother and I was not in church. Through out this entire process I remained very polite until he offered up that solution. I'm sure they are a good company but I felt compelled to warn others about what I went through...and it seems several others have gotten the shaft by JPE. Tell you what, on Monday I will call JPE and ask to speak with John and see what happens. I will let you guys know how it goes.

I had great experiences with some companies and some that were terrible. That is business. Quit shooting and take up golf because of it?

Fuck Golf.

Have them the barrel to me and it will get coated and sent back within 24 hours of receipt

What is the coating you would be applying? Does the process effect the cyro treatment the barrel has already been through? Would you mind PMing me a price? I may just take the barrel, send it to you, and cut my losses. I'm just looking for a flat black teflon. I am open to suggestions...

I just looked through your portfolio. That is some amazing work on some amazing firearms.

If you go with a new barrel your first choice is a good one. I have Kriegers on my bolts and decided to go with a Lilja on my 18"DMR build. The thing shoots great. All said and done though and you have the barrel I would consider sending to ARpredator....his work looks good. All mine get sprayed by me in some good redneckflage but I understand your frustration.

Here's what you do:

Sit down and think this through: Decide what you want JP to reasonably do about it. Determine what you'd like to see done.

Call JP, and in a CALM voice, use no curses or venting, explain the scenario, and what you'd like to see as a go forward plan.
Listen to their response, and then determine if that is something you can live with.
Then, explain, since you've have already been inconvenienced that you will expect them to live up to the letter of their commitment, and if they don't, you will expect a refund (or what ever consequence).

If they do not, then act upon your alternative plan.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomcat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's what you do:

Sit down and think this through: Decide what you want JP to reasonably do about it. Determine what you'd like to see done.

Call JP, and in a CALM voice, use no curses or venting, explain the scenario, and what you'd like to see as a go forward plan.
Listen to their response, and then determine if that is something you can live with.
Then, explain, since you've have already been inconvenienced that you will expect them to live up to the letter of their commitment, and if they don't, you will expect a refund (or what ever consequence).

If they do not, then act upon your alternative plan. </div></div>

I think this is great advice.

One doesn't decide to buy JP for no reason at all, just as they don't choose a customer builder for no reason.
Go back to your original vision for the project, take a deep breath and see it through.

Looking at ARPredatorHunter's work I would find that offer very interesting. His work could be an amazing addition to a great project!

I am trying to find out if I can apply a teflon coat to the barrel after it has already been cyro treated. This will determine what I realistically want to do about it.

The entire kit is set to arrive on Monday, which I will inspect for any other errors before calling on what will likely be Tuesday.

If coating the barrel will ruin the cyro treatment I will just keep the BCG and send back everything else (barrel, gas block/tube, thermal dissipator.) Start from square 1 with a different barrel company.

If coating the barrel if fine I will try and source it out myself. It will probably take another week and $100. I am not going to ask JPE to pay for it or for a discount. I hate doing that. My conversation with Mr. Paul would be to inform him about the way his company handled me as a customer. If he wishes to do something about it great.

At this point I just want to shoot my new rifle...I know you all can relate.

There are so many companys building parts for the AR15, I truely believe that you could go a differnt route and be just as happy. I also know what you mean about it takeing time to build one. I have been building AR15 for ten years, so I have a good personal standing with the companys I use. Dont get me wrong about JP's products I think there very good, but you can do just as good with a Noveske, Daniel Defence, or a Larue. I try to stay with one of these companys but I recently found a new company "New to me" called SunDevil arms. They are a small family company and have a great product. But back to JP if you have somthing close to what you want and decide to keep it you really never have what you truly want. Point being you will always know it could have been differnt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Disciple</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BgBmBoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Maybe you should look for a new hobby like golf?

</div></div>

Quit shooting and take up golf because of it?

Fuck Golf.

</div></div>

I have long thought there should be a way to combine LR shooting and golf.
grin.gif

With customer service like you experienced, whether normal for JP or not, you have every right to be dissatisfied. The call you are going to make to the owner on Monday would decide it for me depending on what he says and if you believe him. If you really want the bolt, then maybe you would do best by cancelling the rest of the order.

If the owner does not make this right to your satisfaction then I would walk away completely.

This is going to happen to somebody, somehow, someday and it happend to you. No a whole lot one can do and it sucks. Anyway, I have the low mass bolt carrier and adjustable gas block from JP and got them 5 days after I ordered and they are working just fine after a year of shooting.

I guess I cant complain that my barrel/bolt/comp/gas block has taken 3 weeks and they told me its "in the shop getting put together" since 3/12 and when i called 3/16 to ask a ? on my order, they then told me it will take till 3/23 till its shipped "at the soonest" . Atleast I ordered my barrel stainless so if it shows up black ill be upset. lol

just a fyi, you have to TWEAK the shit out of the gun to run the low mass... u will need either a adjustable gas block "fully" or mess with high mass buffers...

It sounds like I did the same build you are working on. I have been very impressed with all the JP parts I have in my LR-308. That stinks that it has taken so long, but I think that is how it goes with these companies when they start to get popular they cant keep up with the demand and sadly quality sometimes suffers from it.

This may be too late, but branson1369 a member here is a JP dealer and can get you all your parts for a discount. you may look at going that route if you can wait.

Like I said the I got all the parts you have ordered minus the barrel (got a lilja) and have been impressed by the accuracy of the rifle. for what its worth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"If coating the barrel will ruin the cyro treatment I will just keep the BCG and send back everything else (barrel, gas block/tube, thermal dissipator.) Start from square 1 with a different barrel company."</div></div>

If you go this route, I would recommend Fulton Armory. I got a lot of parts from them for my .308 AR build and was very satisfied with parts quality and customer service.

Sorry to hear about your issues with JP. I had something I ordered from them break, and they were more than happy to make things right on their dime and in a timely manner.

I hate ti hear this, was about to order a side charging BCG from them. I can wait now. MM

I am new to guns and stuff,so I may be wrong on the avarage.Why does it seem like some of these gun part builders/suppliers have fulfillment probs,sub-par costumer service etc? I had a prob with 2 gun stock businesses recently and they had a attitude,like a inconvenience to them,on the defenceive when it was just a defective part.

Now I have done business with people and businesses on this web forum and they have been better than I could of expected and they have Honor and above the norm for a retailer that I'm use to.

I guess the demand is high on some guns/parts and they figure they can get away with it.I guess Most just put up with it.What If it was your car/transportation had to wait 3-4 months for a part? Ive been into Powerboating for awhile and most business know its a hobby and they know they can get away with a lot of stuff and charge what they want.Kinda the norm in the boating world.

goodluck to ya getting it resolved

Rob
grin.gif

I have an adjustable JP gas block if you need one. I would trade it for a good low profile non-adjustable one of any make and if you have 2, I am in need of both. I will sell it also.

Before I had a chance to call JPE, they called me. I was contacted my their shop manager Mel. He had heard that I was having an issue and that I was unhappy. He wanted to figure out how to make things right.

We played phone tag until today. He apologized for the mix up and offered to send out the right barrel and new headspaced bolt out TODAY! It was quite clear he was about no bullshit in making this right. He made it very clear that I was important as a customer and that I was satisfied. For JPE to reach out like this was top notch.

I should have the correct kit in a few days. I will let you guys know how it goes.