• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

JP LRP-07 Accuracy Issue

FlyingFinn

Private
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2019
Got myself very nice JP LRP-07, .308.

Can't make it shoot anything better than around 1.5 - 2 moa. Really frustrating.

What is realistic expectation for LRP-07 accuracy, factory ammo, 5 shot groups?

Can't make it shoot anything better than around 1.5 - 2 moa. Really frustrating.

What factory ammunition?

Have you shot a large frame AR pattern rifle in 308 previously?

Thanks, from 4000+ miles East. Looking for ballpark idea what to expect before raising the flag.

What factory ammunition?

Have you shot a large frame AR pattern rifle in 308 previously?

Thanks. Three separate tests. Tested 9 cartridges from 6 different manufactures, including ”match” ammo from Norma (168 smk), Lapua (170gr lock-base, semi-auto), Remington (168 and 175 smk) [in addition, SK 8g, Norma Jagdmatch, GGG 147gr, and couple of Sako’s hunting rounds]

I have, couple of times, decent results (= around, less than an inch/100m).

That was the tested accuracy in an article. And I own several. 1.anything MOA with good ammo is right out of the ballpark if you know how to shoot gassers.

Good to know. I got pretty frustrated so to test myself I shot my old HK MR223 (chrome-lined barrel, mil-spec trigger) into well less than an inch with both scopes I used to test JP as well (NF NXS 3.5-15 and 1-4).

Presumably, at least SOME of the (9) ammo should shoot straight. Not expecting hand-load tuned-to-rifle fraction-of-a-moa results.

While I am sure you checked... make sure the scope mount and rings are tight.

If it happens to be a LaRue QD " Vertical" ring mount... make sure you tighten the bottom ring screws first, then the top ones.

Mounts like this..

7e10e6f867feef918cf565b04054a3cd.jpg

Check any muzzle device for snug tightness as well.

While I am sure you checked... make sure the scope mount and rings are tight.

If it happens to be a LaRue QD " Vertical" ring mount... make sure you tighten the bottom ring screws first, then the top ones.

Mounts like this..

View attachment 7166521

Check any muzzle device for snug tightness as well.

Yes, good point, my first or second thought as well, just that mount! So I removed the scope and remounted it, tightening the bottom rings pretty tight first (with top open I doubt the torque really matters that much, NF scopes are pretty tough). Also cross-checked by switching scopes with my HK, NF NXS 1-4 with NF Unimount. No difference.

Muzzle break (and everything else) is snug. No signs of bullets hitting it.

Really rather frustrating. The groups are pretty similar irrespective of the round (different POI of course). That would suggest something non-cardtridge related?

Accuracy from two of mine (out of four) has been poor. Oddly, the other two are pretty good. Might mot be you.

Thanks a bunch. Unfortunately, I don't have the dough, nor rifles available to beat that statistics. The whole idea was to "cry once", hence the frustration. I am less than 50 miles from where Sako TRGs and Tikkas come from, but silly me wanted "more interesting" semi-auto.

Both my little Sako quad .22 and HK MR223 (as it is called in Europe) beats JP in terms of accuracy, even my Daniel Defense with some ammo.

Despite rave reviews, a cult following, and KAC prices, not every rifle is going to shoot .6 moa.

Reactions: mettee
This is a JP...not a GAP, so it ain’t the rifle. JPs always shoot. OP has zero big frame gasser experience. The problem is him, not the rifle. Also, dump that POS Larue turd mount and get a JP mount.

Appreciate your input, I do hope you're right. Easy enough to test by letting some capable friend to shoot it. Overall, though limited experience, I haven't found any of these rifles particularly difficult to shoot. Shooting a rifle prone or off sandbags slow and with nice environment is not that difficult.

The gun came with JP mount, which also had problem; one of the screws and the screw hole were damaged, so it will go back.

As for "always", I doubt. Found couple claims of issues with accuracy, also TimK's point above.

Now, waiting for opportunity to do some more testing.

This is a JP...not a GAP, so it ain’t the rifle. JPs always shoot. OP has zero big frame gasser experience. The problem is him, not the rifle. Also, dump that POS Larue turd mount and get a JP mount.
Aren't you the guy that used to swear by F&D rifles??? Just because it's a JP does not mean a thing.

. I still have an FD in both 6.5 and 308 that will shoot sub moa easy with factory ammo...which is completely irrelevant to the fact that JPs shoot well and are extremely consistent... and big frames are very difficult to shoot.
Also, at no point have I provided anything other than an fair review of FD both the good and the bad. In addition I challenge you to find where I posted anything other than positive JP comments.

Last edited:
Reactions: deersniper
I have a LRP-07 and after I got my scope zeroed (which took a hilarious amount of time) I, an absolute novice, was shooting bug hole groups at 50 yards (consistently) and 0.9 - 1.2 MOA groups at 100 yards (occasionally). With a gas gun make sure you are setting yourself in a rock solid position when prone or seated. I had to lean into the bipod pretty vigorously and shoved the buttstock into my shoulder using a hefty sandbag. I also had my cheek squished against the cheek rest and literally laid in the position for 30 seconds before shooting my 5 shot strings. These are some of the things I did that helped me out tighten the groups.

Also, adjust your gas setting.

Load one round.

Close gas entirely.

Fire and repeat, opening the gas slowly until the gun locks back on the magazine catch.

Give it a slight additional amount of gas and retest.

A key symptom of bolt bounce (an over gassing symptom) is poor accuracy.

This will be added to the test protocol, thanks. Gun came under-gassed from the factory so just opened adjustment enough to get it working properly. Plan was to take weakest round and test till lock-back some cold day (= well under freezing point).

What is the causal relationship between bolt bounce and accuracy?

I have the exact configuration you own, and shooting the Eagle Eye 175 gr ammunition the rifle shoots .5 MOA all day. That said, it is a light rifle with a big round and you are going to have to shoot with good fundamentals to get it to perform. My first time out with it was all I could do to keep it inside 1.5 MOA, it exposed a lot of compromises in my position and shot execution that you can get away with in a bolt gun that a gasser just won't tolerate.

Could be the rig, but wouldn't surprise me it is the shooter, so suggest you start there.

Good luck.

Reactions: Malcolm31
308 semis exploit any weakness in fundamentals.

I doubt any high end ar10 is shooting 2 moa groups unless something is FUBAR

While waiting for opportunity to do more testing, found e.g. this old thread about accuracy issues. Can happen.
Let's hope it's yours truly, maybe easier to fix...

"Can't make it shoot anything better than around 1.5 - 2 moa. Really frustrating."

Super-frustrating indeed partciularly since you spent a lot of money on it.

I would definitely contact JP, if it is actually a JP Rifle related issue, they will take care of you. A JP rifle should, in the hands of a competent shooter, easily achieve sub-MOA accuracy with quality match grade ammo. My favorite remains Federal Gold Medal Match 175gr. SMK, 175gr

What's been your previous experience shooting .308 Semi-Auto rifles? Have you shot. AR-10 rifles sub-moa previously?

A semi-auto is more of a challenge than bolt action.

Last edited:
while the rifle is back at JP trash that larue mount.

actually do that before sending the rifle back haha

has anyone with experience shooting a large frame shot it?

get 2 experienced shooter try the JP. My friend own some gasser SS bbl 308 that claim under 1 moa at 100 yards, the best he can do is 2~3moa. he wants to sell it or send back for warranty. i shot 2 group around .75moa for him and he was like wtf. troubleshoot the variables one by one.

Had a JP barrel I couldnt get to shoot handloads or anything. JP said it had an out of spec throat area and fixed it.

One can sneak out from anyones factory/shop. JP just has a very very low probability...but not impossible.

Had a JP barrel I couldnt get to shoot handloads or anything. JP said it had an out of spec throat area and fixed it.

One can sneak out from anyones factory/shop. JP just has a very very low probability...but not impossible.
no says its impossible, but it happens a lot when people get large frame guns. their bad habits mean bad accuracy

There a lot moving part shooting a large AR frame rifle. The large AR frame rifle always exposed a shooter fundamental weakness much more than the bolt rifle.

Reactions: 75thFTW
Nothing like parroting how hard a large frame is to shoot accurately. Seems like whenever someone has an issue it's the shooters fault ... Send it back to JP

Nothing like parroting how hard a large frame is to shoot accurately. Seems like whenever someone has an issue it's the shooters fault ... Send it back to JP
Cause a lot of the time it is the shooter not being used to the platform? Before spending $100 plus to send it back and the. Shoot a 1/2" group. Spend $26 on a box of ammo? And have a range date?

"Can't make it shoot anything better than around 1.5 - 2 moa. Really frustrating."

Super-frustrating indeed partciularly since you spent a lot of money on it.

I would definitely contact JP, if it is actually a JP Rifle related issue, they will take care of you. A JP rifle should, in the hands of a competent shooter, easily achieve sub-MOA accuracy with quality match grade ammo. My favorite remains Federal Gold Medal Match 175gr. SMK, 175gr

What's been your previous experience shooting .308 Semi-Auto rifles? Have you shot. AR-10 rifles sub-moa previously?

A semi-auto is more of a challenge than bolt action.

I have, couple of different rifles in few occasions, can't remember having any problems so probably under moa. Never thought it would be THAT different.

In addition to testing the JP, maybe we should devise a direct test of exactly similar AR 15 and AR 10. Yes, they are different, but by my (limited) experience, not that different, not much recoil either way. Honestly, I've always thought ARs easy to shoot, sorry :)

Reactions: River44

I know by now you have read several replies. However, I have seen some really good shooters pick up a known accurate AR10 build and have issues. My wife experienced this with the one I bought for her some months ago. To compound the issue, it is a very light gun. However, I have no problem holding sub-MOA with it using a variety of target ammo. But my wife, who is excellent with her AR15, could not consistently hit with the new AR10. It took her several rounds of carefully paying attention to what she was doing before she was consistently accurate with it. I'm not saying it couldn't be a gun problem, but it is unlikely if everything is tight. Do what you can to eliminate yourself from the equation before you call JP.

I have two JPs in the small platform - they shoot great. Every couple of months I see a post like this one - and have seen a number of LRP’s for sale for what I assume is the same reason. I don’t know if it’s the rifle or the shooter but I I’m pretty sure these large frame ARs are pretty hard to shoot accurately.

"I’m pretty sure these large frame ARs are pretty hard to shoot accurately."

I guess it depends on your definition of "accurately."

It's certainly possible the rifle has a problem, but it's a fact, that switching to a large frame AR will require changing technique at the firing line. In general:

1. Load the tripod firmly
2. Maintain a firm but not crushing cheek weld and shoulder pressure
3. Extra lite touch on the grip - I barely touch mine
4. Focus on keeping your trigger pressure in a straight line back down the rifle.
5. Think linear - all pressure straight back.

For me, the grip pressure is the biggie. AR10 format guns have a lot of reciprocating mass. Lateral pressure on the grip (steering), or shooting it like a bolt gun (overall lighter grip), are the most common problems in my experience.

Also, run the gas system at the minimum workable gas setting, and adjust gas every time you change loads, especially if bullet weight changes. Stay low.

Also, don't expect factory ammo to produce much better than inch sized groups at best. Yeah, sometimes you'll get a barrel that'll shoot everything, but more often the gun is going to like one type of bullet and loading better than the rest, so to get down to sub size, you'll need to do some quality reloading.

That being said, the DPMS clone guns are slammy as hell, and AR10's without a adjustable gas port are not suited to accurate shooting. JP's low mass system helps with this. I shoot a Savage MSR-10 for this reason - smaller receiver, smaller BCG, excellent gas system - way less recip mass to deal with.