• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

JP silent captured spring

xNF_9

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2009
Fargo
I am just wondering about this product if it offers anything more then getting rid of only the noise the buffer spring makes. I have seen their youtube video explaining it and the only thing I got out of it was that it works better in extreme conditions of heat and cold. The thing is I live in ND, shot in very cold weather, and never had problems.

Is there any mechanical advantages, reviews, or is this just a new item for noise reduction to make you broke (like suppressors but they offer an advantage).

Re: JP silent captured spring

First I have heard of it. I run a Tubb flatwire spring in my AR10. No sproing in the PRS and I have never had a reliability issue with standard M16 buffer springs in some of the harshest conditions on the planet.

So more less a hoax in the category of more reliable, but it does dampen the sound if thats all you care about, for $130.

Gentlemen, the capture spring is all about taking away the mechanical recoil from the action of the gun. You still get muzzle rise from the barrel but you do not feel the action, feels like a bolt action rifle. J P Enterprise is anything BUT a HOAX. You better take a another hard look at J P, they are making a run for the top.

I understand they are slightly under powered? Do you still use a buffer or is it all self contained? Wondering if this would work on a piston Ar?

The buffer is one piece, it slides out for cleaning. It was on the nutnfancy you tube video.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jevan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gentlemen, the capture spring is all about taking away the mechanical recoil from the action of the gun. You still get muzzle rise from the barrel but you do not feel the action, feels like a bolt action rifle. J P Enterprise is anything BUT a HOAX. You better take a another hard look at J P, they are making a run for the top. </div></div>

I don't have any firsthand experience with it, but I honestly don't see how that is possible. You can't just eliminate Newtons Law. You also can't get around the fact that it takes momentum to strip a round from the magazine and chamber it. Remove to much of that momentum then you end up with failures to feed.

Smei-Auto that feels like a bolt gun? Take out the gas tube
wink.gif

Interesting, I would wonder about the force required to strip the next round - but I'm not a Mech Engineer and my spring rate knowledge is limited to walking them talk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jevan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gentlemen, the capture spring is all about taking away the mechanical recoil from the action of the gun. You still get muzzle rise from the barrel but you do not feel the action, feels like a bolt action rifle. J P Enterprise is anything BUT a HOAX. You better take a another hard look at J P, they are making a run for the top. </div></div>

I never said JP was a hoax, I own a lot of their items and all of them are top notch. I'm just trying to figure out what this thing actually does, possibly some reviews. JP is one of the top 3 gun rifles there is, and they are having tons of success there. Before you jump on me read my post. I was just saying that JP enterprises are liars,but the only thing I got from the video was that they are making a noise reducer. If I can get some info I'd love more of it. JP doesn't just make stuff to make it there's a purpose and I haven't found out what this is exactly for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">personally I think it is great, I handled it at SHOT and I have a few on order.

http://jprifles.com/1.4.7.2_os.php </div></div>

That's awesome you handled it, but did you get to test it out, as in shoot it?

I got one on order, was interested in what this product offered so I decided to take the plunge. Will let y'all know how it goes once I get a chance to play around with it

I have one in the my 3 gun rifle. I didn't notice any difference in my well worn rifle but in one of my new rifles it really made it feel a lot smoother and dampened the noise in the stock.

Jevan-- I too am int. in this JP product. The website indicates an improvement in sound and smoothness. I presume the recoil is still there just smoother.

Jp is good..but what's the difference between tubbs flat wire and this product for performance? The pulse with a tubbs is very smooth, and is under 30$

For the life of me, I just can't wrap my head around what actual problem this thing solves.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JP Rifles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The “spoon over a cheese grater” sound emitted by modern sporting rifles whenever they’re charged or fired has always been one of the AR platform’s ugly blemishes and one we’ve worked ardently to eliminate.</div></div>
(Steel Wool + Dowel Rod + Cordless drill) + Buffer Tube + Quality Spring + Light Lube = No Twang
Regardless, is the twang a problem that warrants the expense & additional weight of this gadget?
Also, since it replaces the buffer, does it have a way of eliminating bolt bounce?
(For those that don't know, ARs have counter weights in the buffer that act like a dead blow hammer to keep the bolt from bouncing out of battery.)

I am not against any improvements in the AR and I do in fact have an open mind.
After reading the information on the JP Web Site I came away wondering why someone would NEED this product.

Just wait till they paint it black then charge 50.00$ more and call it their tactical line.
No,no I know the jp guys and they are too stand upit for that. There must be some benifits to this, just don't know what it is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the life of me, I just can't wrap my head around what actual problem this thing solves.</div></div>

Can't say that I know, but I have ideas...

In motorcycle road racing, we use forks. The forks have springs in them. If one takes a spring and just pushes on it with enough force to really reduce its free length, it doesn't just compress neatly...it wants to push away from the direction of travel from the load that is being put on it.

A fork tube can receive direct contact with a fork spring as a result. And that contact is friction.

A manufacture of some aftermarket suspension components developed a cartridge replacement (most newer, higher performing motorcycles have a full length unit that operates the various ranges of dampening and retains the fork spring)that used a fork spring that was smaller in diameter compared to OEM and other aftermarket manufacturers. One was the elimination of the friction against the fork tube. Some of that was achieved by how the spring was kept captive at the top and the bottom of the spring.

I look at the JP thing, and that's what I'm thinking that they are doing...but I don't know for certain.

JP isn't a company that puts out gimmicky products, so I'm sure it does something.............I'm just too damn cheap to figure out what that somehting is!

So are these for rifle or carbine tubes? It appears there is only the AR-15 and the AR-10 but makes no mention of tube length. But My solid guess is its for the rifle length..

I've got one installed on my JP SCR-11 & JP LRP-07.

Benefits (to name a few): it eliminates friction of the standard buffer, smoother & less noise. The spring is removable for custom tuning. Plus in a couple months they will have different springs out so you can custom tune your buffer system with different springs based on the load you are using without adjusting your gas block.

Same unit will fit carbine or rifle length stocks.

When you pull back the charging handle it's like pulling back the slide on a really nice high end 1911.

A gimmick it is NOT.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TRON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So are these for rifle or carbine tubes? It appears there is only the AR-15 and the AR-10 but makes no mention of tube length. But My solid guess is its for the rifle length.. </div></div>

For both lengths I think. When you order a rifle length SCS a delrin like spacer is supplied to take up the extra length, so it seems to me that the actual captured spring thingy begins as being for carbine only.
I would really like to know if it works better with the JP Low Mass BC & Adjustable Gas Block. You know, does it compliment the JP LMOS other than making everything quiet and smooth. So far I guess not because if it did improve other things you would think they would advertize it. Oh one thing I remember is JP said you can tune it by removing the spring. I don't know it didn't say but I guess you would have to trim the spring? I don't wanna trim my $130 spring!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoFail</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TRON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So are these for rifle or carbine tubes? It appears there is only the AR-15 and the AR-10 but makes no mention of tube length. But My solid guess is its for the rifle length.. </div></div>

For both lengths I think. When you order a rifle length SCS a delrin like spacer is supplied to take up the extra length, so it seems to me that the actual captured spring thingy begins as being for carbine only.
I would really like to know if it works better with the JP Low Mass BC & Adjustable Gas Block. You know, does it compliment the JP LMOS other than making everything quiet and smooth. So far I guess not because if it did improve other things you would think they would advertize it. Oh one thing I remember is JP said you can tune it by removing the spring. I don't know it didn't say but I guess you would have to trim the spring? I don't wanna trim my $130 spring!!! </div></div>

If you have a JP LMOS you'll see an increase of resistance over the LMOS and you'll need to adjust your gas block to allow more gasses to come through to accommodate the 5% resistance increase over the LMOS. A rifle without a LMOS you shouldn't need to adjust anything.

In a couple of months you'll see different springs out with different tensions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Animal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoFail</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TRON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So are these for rifle or carbine tubes? It appears there is only the AR-15 and the AR-10 but makes no mention of tube length. But My solid guess is its for the rifle length.. </div></div>

I would really like to know if it works better with the JP Low Mass BC & Adjustable Gas Block. You know, does it compliment the JP LMOS other than making everything quiet and smooth. So far I guess not because if it did improve other things you would think they would advertize it. Oh one thing I remember is JP said you can tune it by removing the spring. I don't know it didn't say but I guess you would have to trim the spring? I don't wanna trim my $130 spring!!! </div></div>

If you have a JP LMOS you'll see an increase of resistance over the LMOS and you'll need to adjust your gas block to allow more gasses to come through to accommodate the 5% resistance increase over the LMOS. A rifle without a LMOS you shouldn't need to adjust anything.

In a couple of months you'll see different springs out with different tensions. </div></div>

Okay Animal, please indulge me more, I have complete JP LMOS and 16" Supermatch too, well that is it's on a UPS truck somewhere at the moment. I had already purchased a UBR so since Magpul recommends Slash's CAR-10 buffer I went ahead and got that, well actually I got the CAR-10 XH. So I'm going to have to up open the adjustable GB more because of buffer. Is it like I might as well stick with CAR-10? I wonder how heavy the JP SCS relative the the CAR-10 XH at 6.5 oz. If the SCS did something for the reliability of JP LMOS which may or may not be questionable I would like to know that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Super Dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the life of me, I just can't wrap my head around what actual problem this thing solves.</div></div>

Can't say that I know, but I have ideas...

In motorcycle road racing, we use forks. The forks have springs in them. If one takes a spring and just pushes on it with enough force to really reduce its free length, it doesn't just compress neatly...it wants to push away from the direction of travel from the load that is being put on it.

A fork tube can receive direct contact with a fork spring as a result. And that contact is friction.

A manufacture of some aftermarket suspension components developed a cartridge replacement (most newer, higher performing motorcycles have a full length unit that operates the various ranges of dampening and retains the fork spring)that used a fork spring that was smaller in diameter compared to OEM and other aftermarket manufacturers. One was the elimination of the friction against the fork tube. Some of that was achieved by how the spring was kept captive at the top and the bottom of the spring.

I look at the JP thing, and that's what I'm thinking that they are doing...but I don't know for certain. </div></div>

Super Dave,

You have pretty much hit the nail on the head.

If folks simply look at the difference in surface area for friction to take place you can see a huge reduction.

I just got my JP Captured Spring yesterday. Took about 4 weeks for it to arrive due to it being backordered. I tried it out at the range today and it was very smooth firing. I much prefer this recoil impluse and reduced sproing sound.

However, i did have some feeding problems with PMC .223 55 grain ammo. It seemed to be a bit underpowered which caused rounds to sometimes get caught halfway while loading or not load entirely. My other American Eagle ammo is fine. I did notice on occasion it would not hold open after last shot even with the AE.

I'm guessing it is because the spring is stiffer than what I had before. My rifle s a Wilson Combat SPR with rifle length gas system. Maybe it could also use a little more gas to push the buffer back farther. Too bad my block is not adjustable.

I'll give JP a call tomorrow to see if they have any solutions. Perhaps a lighter spring, or shooting it a bit more to wear it in might help. The last thing I would want to do is try and manually cut the spring.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoFail</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Animal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoFail</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TRON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So are these for rifle or carbine tubes? It appears there is only the AR-15 and the AR-10 but makes no mention of tube length. But My solid guess is its for the rifle length.. </div></div>

In a couple of months you'll see different springs out with different tensions. </div></div>

Okay Animal, please indulge me more, I have complete JP LMOS and 16" Supermatch too, well that is it's on a UPS truck somewhere at the moment. I had already purchased a UBR so since Magpul recommends Slash's CAR-10 buffer I went ahead and got that, well actually I got the CAR-10 XH. So I'm going to have to up open the adjustable GB more because of buffer. Is it like I might as well stick with CAR-10? I wonder how heavy the JP SCS relative the the CAR-10 XH at 6.5 oz. If the SCS did something for the reliability of JP LMOS which may or may not be questionable I would like to know that. </div></div>

The reliability of the JP LMOS will be affected by the increased tension of the SCS. Give it a little more gas and it will work just fine. As you know the gas pressure on the LMOS is reduced because of the reduced weight of the bolt and a different buffer/buffer spring. So you can either cut the spring on the SCS or just wait a couple months to get a spring that will replicate your original LMOS buffer spring.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Musef</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got my JP Captured Spring yesterday. Took about 4 weeks for it to arrive due to it being backordered. I tried it out at the range today and it was very smooth firing. I much prefer this recoil impluse and reduced sproing sound.

However, i did have some feeding problems with PMC .223 55 grain ammo. It seemed to be a bit underpowered which caused rounds to sometimes get caught halfway while loading or not load entirely. My other American Eagle ammo is fine. I did notice on occasion it would not hold open after last shot even with the AE.

I'm guessing it is because the spring is stiffer than what I had before. My rifle s a Wilson Combat SPR with rifle length gas system. Maybe it could also use a little more gas to push the buffer back farther. Too bad my block is not adjustable.

I'll give JP a call tomorrow to see if they have any solutions. Perhaps a lighter spring, or shooting it a bit more to wear it in might help. The last thing I would want to do is try and manually cut the spring. </div></div>

PMC is notoriously underpowered....it's the ammo not the spring.

After you try it the captured spring may chang your mind. I was testing it out again today and did some A/B tests with my original buffer spring setup. It sounds so much nicer, like how an ar should sound like when you listen to it from a few feet away. But with the original spring its very twangy sounding and ruins the overall effect. Also the recoil seems to be a tad smoother as well.

In my case it seems to be ammo related. The PMC bronze .223 seems to just be underpowered. Even with my original setup, it cannot hold the bolt back on the last shot even tho it feeds fine.

With the new captured spring it doesn't even feed right. I will get a few boxes of hotter ammo like PMC X-TAC 5.56 or Federal xm193 and try that out. If that still does not work well i might consider seitching gas blocks to an adjustable model. The installation of it has its own potential headaches which i'd like to avoid if possible.

Yay, hit 100 posts
smile.gif

Yup i just saw the email and as it turns out i do have the incorrect spring. The spring for the ar-10 must be stiffer which caused the short stroking and failure to feed issues.

I'm glad JP recognized the problem and have a solution prepared.

I just tried out my JP Silent Captured Spring this weekend. My reaction? Meh. Didn't impress. I was shooting a Rock River 16" with a JP adjustable gas block, JP compensator, and JP low mass bolt carrier. I have it tuned for 3-gun competitions (VERY low recoil) and I didn't notice any difference in cycling sound or "sight wiggle" after firing unsupported. Maybe made sight wiggle was a little worse because it seemed to take a tad longer to get back on target. The action did feel very solid, but it was pretty good beforehand...so not a huge improvement. I obviously like JP products, but this one is not worth the cost. However, if you do have the "sproing" or if the action feels cheap/tinny then the SCS will definitely help. Surprisingly, there was enough gas blowback, even with underpowered PMC ammo and dialed back gas block, to make the gun cycle properly. I'll try and turn down the gas a bit this next weekend to get the sight wiggle back under control.

i am going to give it a test in a 308 .....in a few feedback will happen etc .....

I'm reviving this thread. Any more news/reviews on the system - especially in the AR-10 platform?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonthomps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm reviving this thread. Any more news/reviews on the system - especially in the AR-10 platform? </div></div>In progress. Used it in my 6.5 Creedmoor without an adjustable gas block. Moved it over to my LR308 with and adjustable gas block. Have yet to test. Still subscribed to the thread.

I just put a large frame "AR" in 6.5 Creedmoor using the JP silent capture spring, low mass bolt carrier, JP bolt, barrel, and comp.

I used a Mega Maten NiB receiver set and let me tell you....with all those parts together it feels like the bolt carrier is roller bearings. SUPER smooth and very quiet.
I for one am very pleased with the SCS. I also have one in a AR carbine (.223) and it runs like the .308 model.

I use to run JP's low mass buffer and spring (still do in a 18" AR of mine), but for a few dollars more the SCS is the way to go IMHO.

Take care,Stan

I've been looking at picking one up for an LMT MWS. Couple of questions for users:

1. Know anyone who has one in stock?
2. Am I correct in assuming it will work with the factory LMT bolt carrier?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guy Montag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JP had them in stock this week, I'd check there to see if available still. </div></div>

I checked online and and when I tried to add it to my cart it said they were backordered but I'll give them a call.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guy Montag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JP had them in stock this week, I'd check there to see if available still. </div></div>

Called JP - you were right, they had the AR-10 model in stock. Got one coming my way! Thanks for the heads-up.

i bought one for my JP LRP-07. It is easy to install and remove. it is definitely quieter. i installed after the Rocky Mountain 3G match, so have only put few rounds down range with it. i will wring it out next spring.

Since my original comments in this thread I have had a chance to fire a couple of JP Rifles with this systems installed. They seem to work very well. I would not say that it makes an AR feel like a bolt gun. They still feel like ARs. Also, the rifles were complete JP production rifles so it's hard to say what part of the feel was from the captured spring system and what was just JP's well built rifle.

well some feed back on the spring system ...in a LWRC repr, its a lot quieter in action and smoother working .....this was done with 500 rds over three days .....a total win/win so far JPrifle i think this is a great design .....please give it a try