• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

JP Tension Pin

Re: JP Tension Pin

Bought one, never installed it.

Did a bedding on the upper and found it was more practical.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great product, works perfect if you have a sloppy upper/lower. You loose the convenience and speed of the push pin so tare down requires a alen wrench.

Kirk R </div></div>

+1. They do work and they work pretty well, but like Kirk said...you give up convenience/speed for the better fit. Depending on your needs/purposes with the rifle you are thinking about install one on...they may work for you.

it works well and does what it is designed for. But i had trouble with mine coming loose after 10 rounds or so. I applied some loctite and still had the problem but not until 20 or so rounds. I didnt want to apply any stronger loctite as to have a problem taking it apart so i just stoped using it. This was on a 308 AR so if it was used on a 223 the recoil might not work it loose. Demon tactical has a quick pin with the same idea but is still easy to take apart. I asked them if they had one for a 308 AR and they said not yet but they are making them soon.

My 308 has one, it comes loose every 150? rounds. Not perfect but it does work.

Depend on how loose it is bedding the receivers with some kind of tape or the armalite oversized pins might be better options.

Why would one need to fit, or tighten-up the fit, between the upper and the lower?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why would one need to fit, or tighten-up the fit, between the upper and the lower? </div></div>

Would you find acceptable that your bolt action had some play between the action and the stock?

Using a sling or bipod will generate forces in different direction on the upper and lower.

My DPMS LR308 has no play, but the GAP upper had a little.
Since it's very easy to do a bedding on an AR and will not affect the operation in any way, why not?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssgp2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would you find acceptable that your bolt action had some play between the action and the stock?...Since it's very easy to do a bedding on an AR and will not affect the operation in any way, why not?</div></div>An AR is a different animal. They're not bedded. There's a reason your GAP has play. The lower simply contains the trigger group. An upper that binds with the lower will gall.

I've already got some...want to join me?
laugh.gif

I prefer the bedding to a tensioning pin for a couple of reasons;

- There is a possibility of binding the receivers with the tensioning pin
- You have to carry an Allen key to take the upper off
- There is a chance of loosing the pin.

In regards to the bedding, there is no chance of binding if done correctly with proper material.

I like the feel of a tight rifle when I load the bipod or when I level it.

I don't know if it improved the accuracy, but it makes me feel better knowing that there is nothing loose. It is much easier to do a bedding than to try to reduce the play in the pins

I have shot around 2 000rnds with the GAP upper with no malfunction and under 1 moa accuracy.

For less than 10$ of material, 30 minutes of preparation and 24hours to cure, I have taken away any doubts about the possible effect of the play between the receivers.

Could you elaborates how the AR platform is a different animal and the reason why there is a play in the GAP upper?

PS: I also like the fact that dirt can't get in by the gap between the receivers.

So why hasn't anybody mentioned the accu-wedge? If all your trying to do is tighten up the play some. It's not bedding I know, but it does help, It's $5, and It's just a few seconds. Will it produce the same results as bedding, no probably not, but It's a viable option to keep the speed and convince and get some help in the accurizing department.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Atomic Lab Rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stupid question. But doesn't bedding create the possibility of misaligning the bcc and tube? </div></div>

Sorry, I don't understand the terms "bcc" and "tube".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Atomic Lab Rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stupid question. But doesn't bedding create the possibility of misaligning the bcc and tube? </div></div>

It could but you'd have to put a lot of bedding on there, and the only way you could fit enough bedding to do that is if the upper and lower were really out of spec to begin with.

All it really does is improve the feel for the user. It doesn't hurt anything but it doesn't make the rifle itself "more accurate".

What in the hell are you talking about bedding an AR? Never heard of such a thing on an AR? The tension pin just takes away the slop of the lower and upper fitment, that is it. Its a matter of if you are not bothered by the slop or not. I have one in my .308 AR, but put Accu-Wedges in my AR .223's. The Accu-Wedge does not work in a .308 AR platform, as there is not enough room for one, but you could possibly trim it down and make it fit. Yes, as said above, the JP tension pin comes loose and you have to retighten it every once in a while!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssgp2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Atomic Lab Rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stupid question. But doesn't bedding create the possibility of misaligning the bcc and tube? </div></div>

Sorry, I don't understand the terms "bcc" and "tube". </div></div>

Try "BCG" and "buffer tube"

My JP has the pin, it does exactly what it was designed for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacBlade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What in the hell are you talking about bedding an AR?</div></div>

It's pretty simple really, you put tape or some other material where the upper and lower contact one another. Just enough to take out the slop.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2011/02/what-makes-an-ar-accurate-whitley-offers-answers/

12. Upper to Lower Fit: A good upper/lower fit is helpful. For quick and dirty fit enhancement, an Accu-Wedge in the rear helps a lot. The ultimate solution is to bed the upper to a specific lower so that the upper and lower, when together, are more like one integral unit. For the upper receivers we produce, we try to get the specs as close as we can, but still fit the various lowers in the market place.