• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

JP Trigger question, advice needed

dlxcupid

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2010
Commie-fornia
I've got a LR308 I bought brand new with the JP trigger installed from the factory. I've had it for almost 2 years now and I never really noticed the trigger pull weight. I just know that it was alot better than the factory trigger, so I didn't think anything of it.

I recently purchased a Lyman digital trigger pull gauge to tune the trigger on my Browning A-bolt. I figured, what the hell? I might as well check the trigger pull on all my firearms. When I got to the LR308, the trigger pull averaged in the high 5lb. I pulled on it at least 20 times. It'd be anywhere from 5lb 7oz - 6lb 2oz. I thought these were supposed to be 3.5-4? I really want a 3.5-4lb pull.

The trigger spring is yellow and the disconnector spring has no color, just the normal greenish gray steel. Anyone else have that problem? What should I do now?

Re: JP Trigger question, advice needed

Your JP trigger needs adjusting check jprifles.com for instructions.

I tried to adjust the screws today. I heated them up and counted how many revolutions I backed out or went in so I remember where it was set at. It didn't do anything to trigger pull. I guess I should order some springs from JP. I just didn't see how adjusting those screws will affect trigger pull weight. JP says that with the gray and yellow springs should yield 4.5-5 lb pull and I'm getting over 5. I guess I'll order the yellow springs.

Anybody else with a JP trigger on their LR308? are the yellow springs fine? or should I get the red and yellow spring? This is not for duty, just recreational shooting.

You may have a couple issues with the lighter springs igniting heavier mil spec primers. I have a couple JP trigger, like them alot. On both the Armalite AR10 and the 6.8, I had to put the stronger springs back to get reliable ignition.

Not something you need to worry about on your duty rifle. It may be why DPMS put that spring set in it. It's not like it was a problem before hmmm?

No there is not a problem, just that I wanted a lighter trigger pull. All my guns have a 3.5-4lb pull; SIG 1911 is 4lb, MAK90 is 4lb and Browning is 3.5lb. Like I said, this is not for duty, just recreational shooting.

I'm pretty sure you have to use (at least) the yellow hammer spring on a 308, but you can use the red on the trigger. It shouldn't make a huge difference but it may take a pound out of the pull.

BTW, does your gun have the speed hammer as well, or just the trigger?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GreatGonzo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm pretty sure you have to use (at least) the yellow hammer spring on a 308, but you can use the red on the trigger.</div></div>
If I'm not mistaken, isn't the yellow spring the lightest? I think the minimum would be the red spring for the hammer.