• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

JP V-tac handguard

hicapacity25

Private
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2012
Oregon
Can someone who has instaled or has one instaled on there DPMS ar tell me did the outer ring fit flush up to the upper? got mine and went to instal it and up tight to reciever is at 10 o-clock position if i bring it back around top dead center its got a 1/8 inch gap between reciver and tube,any suggestions would be great cant call JP now till monday

Re: JP V-tac handguard

Most likely it won't line up. I have two of them like that. I've installed one with a gap and had a machine shop turn the other one down to a nice tight fit. I'll work either way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hicapacity25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can someone who has instaled or has one instaled on there DPMS ar tell me did the outer ring fit flush up to the upper? got mine and went to instal it and up tight to reciever is at 10 o-clock position if i bring it back around top dead center its got a 1/8 inch gap between reciver and tube,any suggestions would be great cant call JP now till monday </div></div>

I have installed several of these on AR's 15's and 10's.

The last 10 I did fit pretty well but had to hand work it back and forth until it went tdc. That was from around the 11 position though. If you locktite it on with a small gap the top rail will still line up as it has a small amount of back and fourth play on it. That is if you even used a top rail.

Here is the last one I installed which was on a Remington R25 Its hard to tell but it fit pretty well after a bit of back and fourth till it lined up.
IMG_6050.JPG

So you had them turn down the face of the vtac outside piece right? Poke thats pretty!!

They generally don't tighten up flush to the receiver - that's why you use red Loctite to set it in position.

Yeah but top dead center is 3/8 " away from flush now have to go all the way back around and that huge gap looks like a old girlfriend!

You can lay a piece of sandpaper (600grit or higher) flat on a surface and do some very light sanding on it to remove material. I haven't done this method just used patience and went back and fourth until it lines up. You may also be able to use the heat/cold method to get it on there (heat up hand guard point and freeze the upper) The cold/cold-heat/heat method won't work to well as the metals are similar. The reason it works for busting a tight barrel nut is the upper is aluminum and nut is steel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hicapacity25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah but top dead center is 3/8 " away from flush now have to go all the way back around and that huge gap looks like a old girlfriend! </div></div>

What's her number?

You should have a gap there, if you didn't then its not free floating and will bind or torque the barrel. There shouldn't be any part of the tub touch the receiver except the barrel nut to hold the barrel in place.

Just checked mine on my 6.8 I just built ~ it is almost perfectly flush with a tiny gap I'd have to measure with a sparkplug gap gauge but no where near 3/8".
I was not 'tight' when I installed and used red loctite to secure as mentioned above.

I believe the pitch is 18 on the threads. That would put you somewhere in the neighborhood of a maximum distance from the receiver of .055 which would be 1 rev.

Loctite TDC and rock on.

yeah i kinda exagerated 3/8" but its not flush like i see a lot of them,how much would i have to take off if its at 10 o'clock position to get it straight up?

Thanks guys flat surface and 20 minutes w/400 then 600 sandpaper and its nice and flush!no crack cuse that stuff kills!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: country888</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should have a gap there, if you didn't then its not free floating and will bind or torque the barrel. There shouldn't be any part of the tub touch the receiver except the barrel nut to hold the barrel in place. </div></div>

LOL WUT? Do you even have any clue as to the inner workings of the JP hand guard system? In case you don't (and I know you don from your post) the part that the OP is trying to get flush to his receiver essentially becomes part of the 2 piece barrel nut that the JP tube uses. I don't have any crayons or ms paints but I do have a pic of what you cannot see when the tube is on the upper.

Old pics with an old shitty camera but you get the point.
15673s1.JPG

15673HG03.JPG