• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

JP VMOS & SCS in suppressed 308?

kingzero

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2014
Crack Town, AZ
Looking for reviews from guys running JP's VMOS and SCS buffer system in a suppressed 308. I'm looking to upgrade to these in mine and curious about how it changed the recoil impulse and function. They will be used with a 20" rifle gas barrel and SLR gas block. JP recommends the "heavy" versions of both with suppressed rifles, but I want to know what others are using.

I have a LRP-07 in 308 with a 22" barrel and run a TBAC 30CB7 suppressor. I recently switched from the low mass bolt carrier and SCS to the heavy VMOS and heavy SCS. The recoil impulse is different for sure. More of a "ker-chunk" now. It's definitely slowing the brass extraction down as the bases of my cases are less expanded after firing. A plus if you reload. Accuracy wise I can't say I've noticed a difference. It does run longer before getting too fouled up. Was it worth the upgrade cost? Hard to say for me. But I do feel it is a better "operating system" for running a can than the LMOS.

I called them a little while back inquiring about the same thing for my LRP-07 (18" .308). I've always had great luck talking to them on the phone and they actually said I probably wouldn't notice enough of a difference to be worth the price (I'd be switching from standard SCS and LMOS). It's a testament to their company's integrity and has continued to keep me a devoted customer of theirs. That being said, I still wonder if it would be worth it cause I'm just weird that way. And, even though I've let the thing get really gunked up with fouling and it's never missed a beat, I want to do something to get it to run even the slightest amount cleaner. It's a part time job trying to keep a suppressed semi-auto clean.

I have a JP LRP-07 and changed from the LMOS to the VMOS, my gun is shot suppressed primarily and rarely non-suppressed. The VMOS works great, I opted for the heavier version on both SCS and VMOS have had no issues with cycling, I also used a heavier SCS spring.

The gun is really accurate and going from LMOS to VMOS didn't change accuracy in any way for me. Recoil impulse is much better thought in terms of managing it.

Going from Supressed to unsuppressed didn't require gas adjustments thats the beauty of the VMOS. It's still would be I good idea to tune the gas IMO if you will be permanently shooting unsuppresed after tuning it for suppressed.

The only thing that happened once was the o-ring in the VMOS carrier came off its position, stayed on the carrier body though just off its slot, no issues on function when this happened just a little bit more noise in the action. It happened once only...after 300 rounds it hasn't happened again and when it did the rifle worked fine.

Good luck which ever way you decide to go with this.

I have a custom built MATEN. 22in Kreiger barrel w/ SLR adj. gas block. TBAC Ultra 7 suppressor. Changed from the LMOS to the VMOS because it was unlocking too soon and I was getting really dirty fast which affected function. The VMOS was the ticket. As far a recoil, I don't notice a change...I can still watch the hole appear in the target.

Thanks for the comments. I have my gas block adjusted to run reliably and am running a heavy buffer but it's still unlocking prematurely and my brass is still getting beat up. Plus it's dirty as hell and will usually get function problems after 50 or so rounds. It's running a budget BCG because it was all I could get around the election. I think it's time for a quality upgrade.

No ar10 experience with JP but their ar15 products are top notch. I have ththink scs with spring set and a lmos systems. Runs like a champ and super light weight