• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

JPNC22 Review

usmcchet9296

Sergeant
Minuteman
JP NC22 JP - JP-22 Rifle and Upper Assemblies
Use/Intent
Size
Firepower
Build quality
Accuracy
Ergonomics
Takedown/Field Strip
Accessories
Value
Reliability
Verdict

I am finally getting around to reviewing the JPNC22 upper I got from JP Rifles. Ive had the upper for almost a year now and have put over a thousand rounds thru of of various brands and now feel I have used the upper enough to give a honest review of this upper.

First of the rifle build
Upper: JPNC22
Handguard: Extra long JP rapid configuration hand guard system. Added full length upper rail and lower accessory rail for an Atlas bi-pod
Optics: Gen1 Super Sniper 10X on LaRue 20MOA mount with Burris Fastfire reflex sight as primary optics and a Sightmark Ultra Shot sight when shooting/practicing for 2-gun rimfire matches.
Irons: GDT AR15 AR 15 Front and Rear 45 Degree Rapid Transition BUIS Backup Iron Sight. Please note this is an inexpensive option for my rifle and if/when I build a center fire rifle I would get full priced name brand sights.
Lower: Spikes dedicated 22 lower with CMC drop in 3.5LB trigger, A2 style buttstock, Ergo sure grip.

Now for the review I will be using Nutnfancys style of review modified to my needs.

Use/Intent:
Truth be told I wanted a semi-auto tactical style rifle to augment my CZ 455PT I have. Now my basically stock CZ 455 is probably the best out of the box bolt action 22 on the market for less than a thousand dollars. Other than a YoDave trigger kit that made the horrible gritty 5lb trigger into a crisp 1.5lb trigger the rifle is basically stock, CZ heavy barrel, and Manners stock. My CZ is a 1/4inch at 25 yards, 1/2 at 50 yards, and 1 inch at 100 yard gun on a regular basis which is awesome for a non-benchrest .22 rifle. Now in reality that is a tall order for any semi-auto rifle. Only my friends highly modified 10/22 shoots as good as my CZ and he spent just about as much on it as I did my CZ . I really should be comparing my JP upper to other semi-auto rifles I have owned, a Ruger 10/22 modified with a green mountain barrel, Hornet 3lb trigger, B&C varmint stock, and Falcon Menace Gen1 scope. I have also owned a Ruger 10/22 with a TacSol barrel and red-dot sight and a Spikes AR22 16inch barreled M4 style rifle that ran standard irons and a C-More reflex sight . Comparing my JP rifle to them gives a better idea for this rifle and its intended use.

Size:
At 18 inches not including the compensator this upper is as long as your standard A2/A4 service rifle and when shooting with irons you get a standard M16 sight radius. This is not a short rifle and with the long forearm and attachments it is kind of front heavy.

Firepower:
This is a .22 not a center fire rifle so unless your going after a violent squirrel or rabbit go with a nice center fire

Build quality:
Nordic and JP have made a quality firearm. Fit and finish are scone to none, I still cant see the seem between the compensator and barrel …great job JP.

Accuracy:
As of right now my JP shoots around a 1/2inch at 25 yards, 3/4 to 1inch at 50 yards and opens up to 1.5 to 2.5 at 100 yards using a mixture or SK standard+/match, RWS, Eley Yellow box and Wolf Match. Sometimes its better and sometimes its worse. Over all I can say its not my CZ and more closer to my 10/22 but really I don't think this rifle was ever intended to be a precision trainer the JPNC22 is more intended to be 3-gun trainer or reflex shooting trainer. When I mount my reflex sight on this upper and shoot steel targets reflexively this rifle shines. If you own a JP centerfire rifle or shoot steel in matches this is a rifle you should own.

Ergonomics:
Standard AR style rifle, last round hold open, bolt release, charging, everything a standard AR would do. Only issue is the bolt when locked with the release needs to be pulled fully back to allow a round to chamber so keep that in mind.

Takedown\field strip:
Like a standard AR and like a Ciener conversion the bolt basically falls out once you separate the upper and lower so be careful. Cleans up better than a Ciener style bolt IMHO.

Accessories:
Like any AR its like Barbie for men. Any AR accessory works on this upper.

Value:
Depends on what you consider value is. If you want the best this is it. If you are going for economical I would pass. You can basically buy 2 AR .22 rifles for the cost of just the upper though the newer models are slightly cheaper and are offered in multiple configurations now.

Reliability:
This is where Nordic and JP shine. The Nordic receiver is not comparable with other .22 bolts and cannot be converted to a centerfire rifle. the Nordic bolt is more like a 10/22 style bolt and this makes the JPNC22 one of the most reliable 22AR rifles on the market. I have had my sons fiends out shooting and they have put hundreds of rounds thru the rifle without fail or cleaning. I have shot everything from match ammo to HV ammo to cheap bulk ammo and the rifle just eats it up. I had a Spike AR22 which some hate but mine worked well but wouldn't cycle some low velocity ammo like my JP will. I would compare this rifle to a Ruger 10/22 in reliability.

Verdict:
I intended this rifle to be a precision trainer like my CZ455 but as accurate as this rifle is it isn't a sniper trainer but as a 3-gun trainer or reflex trainer it more than fills the bill. Im not saying its not accurate but it just isn't my CZ or an Anschutz or a Quad or a 40X and I don't think there is a 22AR that isn't custom made that could compete with rifles like that so with that in mind the JPNC22 is probably the most accurate mass produced .22 AR semi-auto rifle on the market.

Pictures posted later of the rifle and targets

So last week I was able to go out and really get a good idea of how my JP can shoot vs my CZ and what ammo works well with it
I shot 5 different kinds of 40gn match and target ammo thru both rifles on a perfect windless 73 degree day at Angeles shooting range at 25, 50, and 100 yards
so lets see how they shot
I used Aguila Match, Eley yellow box, CCI target, RWS match, and SK Standard plus
all targets we shot twice to get an idea of ammo consistency
First the CZ 455
Agila .30/.33
Eley .04/.13
CCI .23/.27
RWS .12/.19
SKsp .13/.24

JPNC22
Agila 1.95/.74
Eley .56/.45
CCI .87/.57
RWS .53/.66
SKsp .44/37

Now to 50 yards (did not shoot Eley I didn't bring enough)

CZ455
Agila .66/1.58
CCI 1.01/.43
RWS .57/.64
SKsp .41/.40

JPNC22
Agila 1.19/1.64
CCI .44/.43
RWS .80/.74
SKsp 1.30/1.48

100 yards

CZ455
Agila 2.94/2.23
CCI 2.19/1.79
RWS 1.00/1.10
SKsp 1.61/1.18

JPNC22
Agila 1.99/2.09
CCI 1.74/1.66
RWS 1.83/1.70
SKsp 3.44/2.51

So what did I find out
first there is nothing match about Aguila ammo it sucked in both my rifles
CCI match isn't great but its consistent
my JP doesn't like SK at all RWS seems to work best in it
my JP is not as accurate as my CZ by at least .5

Cz-jp by usmcchet92_96, on Flickr

2nd update
took my rifle to another 2-gun match and it ran flawlessly again
all the other ruger 10/22 had some failure or another
my friend brought his DMPS/Nordic rifle to the match and had one issue but that was more because it was new and only had a few rounds thru it
didn't run against any other AR type rifles though there were some S&W 22plastics there but I can't say if they had issues because I wasn't running with them.
its nice to have a rifle that goes bang every time you pull the trigger esp with a 22 semi