• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Judge plays CASH for KIDS

oldgrayone

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2008
South East Georgia
I saw a piece on this yesterday on TV. This SOB should be place in general population when he gets there.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sns-ap-us-courthouse-kickbacks,0,1251164.story

SCRANTON, Pa. (AP) — A former juvenile court judge defiantly insisted he never accepted money for sending large numbers of children to detention centers even after he was convicted of racketeering for taking a $1 million kickback from the builder of the for-profit lockups.

Former Luzerne County Judge Mark Ciavarella was allowed to remain free pending sentencing following his conviction Friday in what prosecutors said was a "kids for cash" scheme that ranks among the biggest courtroom frauds in U.S. history.

Ciavarella, 61, left the bench in disgrace two years ago after he and a second judge, Michael Conahan, were accused of using juvenile delinquents as pawns in a plot to get rich. The Pennsylvania Supreme Court has dismissed 4,000 juvenile convictions issued by Ciavarella, saying he sentenced young offenders without regard for their constitutional rights.

Ciavarella maintained the payments were legal and denied that he incarcerated youths for money.

"Never took a dime to send a kid anywhere. ... Never happened. Never, ever happened. This case was about extortions and kickbacks, not about 'kids for cash,'" said Ciavarella, who plans to appeal.

Federal prosecutors accused Ciavarella and Conahan of taking more than $2 million in bribes from the builder of the PA Child Care and Western PA Child Care detention centers and extorting hundreds of thousands of dollars from the facilities' co-owner.

A federal jury in Scranton convicted Ciavarella of 12 counts, including racketeering, money laundering and conspiracy, but acquitted him of 27 counts, including extortion. He is likely to get a prison sentence of more than 12 years, according to prosecutors — who revealed after the verdicts that a reputed mob boss turned informant helped them make their case.

Parents of juveniles who appeared before Ciavarella were outraged that he was released after the verdicts. Ciavarella often ordered youths he had found delinquent to be immediately shackled, handcuffed and taken away without giving them a chance to say goodbye to their families. Some of the children he ordered locked up were as young as 10.

Sandy Fonzo, whose son was jailed by Ciavarella — and committed suicide last year at age 23 — screamed obscenities at the judge and even poked him as he and his attorneys held a news conference on the courthouse steps.

"My kid's not here anymore!" yelled Fonzo. "He's dead! Because of him! He ruined my ... life! I'd like him to go to hell and rot there forever!"

Re: Judge plays CASH for KIDS

When you commoditize inmates like we have by privatizing prisons we get this (and many more that haven't been exposed yet).

The douche in PA has been all over the news this last week or so along with another judge (I think his name was Cochran) who was found doing the same kind of kickback/racketeering crap. Like HB said, this is the tip of the iceberg with corrupt judges around the coutry getting kickbacks for incarcerating inmates in x- or y-facility.

I am not going to go in to the "he's responsible for killing my kid" argument because there are a LOT of superseding/intervening factors there, but the kind of unethical, illegal crap going on with our judiciary needs to STOP and judges like Ciavarella and Cochran need to have the book thrown at them!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The douche in PA has been all over the news this last week or so along with another judge (I think his name was Cochran) who was found doing the same kind of kickback/racketeering crap. Like HB said, this is the tip of the iceberg with corrupt judges around the coutry getting kickbacks for incarcerating inmates in x- or y-facility.

I am not going to go in to the "he's responsible for killing my kid" argument because there are a LOT of superseding/intervening factors there, but the kind of unethical, illegal crap going on with our judiciary needs to STOP and judges like Ciavarella and Cochran need to have the book thrown at them! </div></div>

Id like to throw more that "the book" at him.

i am sorry to say i am from the area where these 2 a-holes are from, and it is hard to believe what these 2 guys have done. the best part they are walking around free.