• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Judging Reaction - Halo style 10/22 conversion

JDixon

Private
Minuteman
May 12, 2011
Peoria, Arizona. USA
Hey guy - I was field stripping my ruger 10/22 tonight after I had put the first 500 rounds through it after it's custom rebuild and I had a brilliant idea:

I was to make a bullpup conversion for it that follows a design similar to the BR55 rifle from Halo 2. Total nerd moment, I know but I was looking at it's design and I feel that I can use it as a platform for a rather nice, lightweight tactical style conversion for the 10/22. I consulted with a lawyer friend of mine about copyright if I chose to sell the conversion kit and he stated so long as it does not copy exactly, or very closely to the game rifle it would not cause any legal issues.

So with that said - I've gotta whip up the design on the computer first and then maybe get the design cast in aluminum and stainless for a metal/abs build.

If I could pull this off, would any of you be willing to purchase such a conversion? If not for anything other than the tacti-cool or nerd factor?

Stay tuned!

Please also note: Once this has started it's design it'll be put into a patent pending status.

For those that don't know the BR55:
BR55Johnson.jpg

Re: Judging Reaction - Halo style 10/22 conversion

Form over function doesn't blow my skirt up.

Build one of those for an M1A or similar piston driven .308 and you might get some serious interest generated. Looks fun anyway. Good luck.

In my defense, I'll be adding and subtracting quite a bit because I also tend to agree with the function over form ideal. Although I would like to have it recognizable as a halo-originated design.

Also as odd as it sounds; I'll have a secondary focus which is to make this rifle more accurate than the stock model and up to par with match-grade.

Badshot: I am only really able to do that since I don't have the required licenses to strip the action completely and refit into a custom housing myself. I'm pretty sure that'd require a firearms manufacturing license of some kind. Although keep in mind that I'm not taking some flimsy bullshit airsoft shell and shoving a 10/22 into it. Nothing like that at all. I'll be form fitting, bedding, fully custom conversions that fit within my own personal quality standards. - The guy you linked to more just seemed to want replicas that looked good but weren't actual conversions. That is not my goal; I would like to work with quality and precision - Even if only to have a single conversion made for my own shooting pleasure.

Ranger: Thanks. I originally had the plan to make this design for the M1A/M14 but due to the prohibitive cost of the rifle itself I was not able to afford that project at this time. However I have plans on buying my own M14 in the next 6 months and will certainly look into that. Could be a fun project. I will attempt with an AR I have sitting in my safe though. It hasnt been used in a while
smile.gif
Should be able to do quite a bit with it.

Aside of all that - keep in mind, this is more for fun than anything else, although I want to make it as high quality as I can with as much redesign as I can on the Ruger platform without requiring a FFL to do it.

Also note: the ONLY thing of the 10/22 that would be here would be the action, I'll be changing out everything else including tube, trigger assembly etc. The stock will not lay inside of a housing. I'm totally against that kind of stuff. I will have a fully internally bedded aluminum stock which will support the 10/22 action itself. Everything else from the original 10/22 goes. Using a match grade heavy 1/16 twist barrel (Just purchased 20mins ago) and solid block aluminum machined bedding.

Looking to possibly use a fully adjustable AR-15 modded butt/cheek on it to get that kind of style but I'll come to that when the design gets there.

The idea does not impress me. It seems like an expensive outfit to make it look like a toy. There are better options available to improve accuracy alone. The only market I see is the airsoft type crowd or Halo fanboys.

I thank you for your feedback, Calmly. The 10 22 I have now is plenty accurate, easily able to touch holes at 75+ yards so I completely understand your perspective. Regardless; I'm going to go ahead with the refit if only for my own personal enjoyment.

Often these types of things are more for novelty than anything else anyway.

hehe, G3nintinite. Agreed for the most part - but a clone won't be functional and I'd like to stay close to the design but actually have every part functional so that it can be used in a tactical sense. To clone it would be as others seem to think, be making a toy. I've got no intention of making a toy clone here. I want a fully functional firearm that has the bells and whistles that are common to tactical firearms.

Make sense? If I want to make an exact clone; I'll make a non-fuctioning prop for a wallmount.

there is a great market for something like that dispite what many will say here. Think about all the wanabe snipers that have to look the part...same thing.

"halo is cool" so I'll be cool if I have a gun that looks like that.

it'll sell at a gunshow easy.

Exactly, Seanh... and what happens if it happens to actually fit a functional tactical role too?! lol It's not gonna be cheap - got a rough quote on the cost of the full upper receiver area today, looking at 1.2k but using CNC it'll drop by at least 50-60% because I can just use cad to make the thing and toss it in the CNC
wink.gif

you need to think more mass production...injection molding. You can do a high quality as well but the low end model will help pay for the setup on the high end stuff.

I'm thinking more along the lines of $150.00 gunshow price. Have them made in Mexico, China, Japan.

a 150 cost wont allow for a conversion. The reason behind that is you're literally taking apart the whole rifle and all it's parts. You're just taking the trigger assembly and the bolt area but that's it. The entire receiver itself is make custom. If you want a drop in stock that'd lower the cost but then that becomes more of a dressup gun and that's something I personally am not too cool with.

The only forms of dress up guns I like are things like the Thompson conversion. I honestly think the lowest i'd be able to get this is around 450-500 for a full blown conversion.

I was thinking not of you but the average Jo who hit gunshows.

you build the part for them as dress up...they pay for what you want.

as to how you're definign what you want...now you're a manufacturer.

If I undersand you correctly, you'll be making a new receiver for the bolt to ride in. If that is the case ATF won't allow you to make more than one. If that is the only goal, great...they'll let you make one for you. But only for you.

if you decide to offer it for sell, even as a gift, you'll need it serial numbered and properly registered.

Registered may be the wrong term...some form you'll need to fill out.

Much easier to simply make a cassis system that the factor receiver can bolt to. If done right, you'll never know the difference. Hell, mill the receiver as needed and drop it in.

Here you go..........
308315_246700292035660_202193666486323_666618_185778_n.jpg
319535_244489535590069_202193666486323_661293_6374182_n.jpg
307952_252424184796604_202193666486323_682892_798994839_n.jpg
299781_249623405076682_202193666486323_675366_1733583515_n.jpg
311091_251921868180169_202193666486323_681557_2106963502_n.jpg
www.jtactical.com or check us out on facebook

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Build one of those for an M1A or similar piston driven .308 and you might get some serious interest generated. Looks fun anyway. Good luck.</div></div>

First off, that isn't a bull pup. We would have to get to work and loss 30% of that full stock. There, that's better.

Secondly, that bullpup M1a right there, I, for one, have a real problem with the back story on that one.

BR55Johnson.jpg

I would definitely be interested in purchasing a stock like this. If you could pull off the DMR, BR, and Assault Rifle I think you could make a decent amount from the fan base

10/22 fires 75yd groups that beats em all

The 10 22 I have now is plenty accurate, easily able to touch holes at 75+ yards so I completely understand your perspective.

Interesting quote. By touching holes, do you mean that all the holes in a group were touching? By definition that should measure about 0.224" c-c, right? Otherwise they would not be touching anymore. Unless they were all stacked one on top of the other. <1/4" at 75+ yards is pretty damned impressive. You should post some targets. Like the four USBR below. They were all shot at 50yds. Or the forth one on the black & white tgt. It was at 100yds. They are all touching. Is that what your Ruger does? Just curious. I would like to get me one that shoots like that.

Funny, I have not seen that kind of performance out of 10/22's. They may be out there but... Never see em.

The best average at 50yds in the 5x6 challenge is 0.226" fired by Clay Mayfield from his Rem 40x Kreiger. The actual best average is better than that but that is another story. The best average for six tgts at 100yds is 0.347" by Yoteman fired with his Anschutz. So, if your 10/22 is shooting 0.224" at 75yds, you are saying it is outshooting both a Rem 40x custom and a very nice shooting Anschutz. Am I reading that correctly? Or did it happen to get two holes touching at 75yds every now and then? You did say it could easily to this, right? So, I interpret that as being able to consistently, repeatedly perform up to such feats of amazing accuracy. How about shooting the 30rd dot drill at 50 and 75 yds and posting the results for us? It would help me to understand the accuracy potential of the 10/22. Oh, and the groups in the pics below were not fired by a Ruger.

Irish

Attachments

• 100yd best.JPG
    100yd best.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • 50yd best.JPG
    50yd best.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • Rem540XR 50yds CX.JPG
    Rem540XR 50yds CX.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
  • 540xr Norma 50yds.JPG
    540xr Norma 50yds.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
  • 540xr 50yds CX.JPG
    540xr 50yds CX.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
Okay, I'll be a dissenting voice here.
I'm 60.
Never played Halo in my life, though my sons (10 & 13...didn't discover sex till I was 40 LOL) play it a lot.
They also are respectable shooters...both average 1.5" at 100yds with their Marlins, both can put all shots on target at 15yds with a 1911 and this year we started shooting clays.
They would love this gun.
If it is accurate...go for it.
A few of you are forgetting...all those Halo 'fanboys' (no worse than the 1/2 dozen of you or so that are 10-22 'fanboys') are tomorrows serious shooters.
You know...the people who are going to keep this sport going.
What the hell is the difference between filling this market and the market in 1960 created by all those (meaning a few of you...and me) fanboys of John Wayne war movies who pined over an M1 Garand...which was not the 'normal' sporting rifle in 1960.
Just sayin'....