• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition jumpin in ...need some tips

merrjm

Private
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2011
jacksonville fl
fixing to shoot in the orange blossom regional. i have shot and won some local small matches @600 yds. just saw that there were about 70 +/- people shooting in the same match i'll be shooting in (different classes of course), and was just curious if there were any tips some of you guys may have about a firing line with that many shooters. i am comfortable with that distance, but have never shot with that many people on the line at the same time... i am shooting f-t/r with a savage f-t/r .308. like i said i am comfortable with that distance but just got as nervous as i was when i shot 1k for the first time(only been shooting comp. for a lil over a year)... any help appreciated

Re: jumpin in ...need some tips

Jim

Just relax and be yourself. Most everyone will give advise and help with anything you need. Ask if you have any questions. The number of shooters doesn't bother me, i concentrate on my target only. Unless I shoot next to Jeff then its hard to miss his scores.

JimC

pretty much what i was thinking. like i said i am confident in the distance and what i can do there.was just wonderin if there would be anything else as i am fairly new at this. this will be the 7th or 8th match i will be shooting in..thks jim

Jim C is correct, it shouldn't matter how many shooters are on the line. Ideally, you are focused solely on your target, concentrating 100% on the conditions and your technique/position. When you are on the line shooting, the only one you are competing against is yourself; the scores will fall as they will. You can't affect anyone else's scores on the line, so don't waste time thinking about them!

Just my .02

Darrell

like the last 2 have said relax be yourself. I have seen more shooters lose because of nerves than a rifle that wont shoot. What are they going to do take away yor birthday if you lose. Relax have fun learn

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Darrell Buell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jim C is correct, it shouldn't matter how many shooters are on the line. Ideally, you are focused solely on your target, concentrating 100% on the conditions and your technique/position. When you are on the line shooting, the only one you are competing against is yourself; the scores will fall as they will. You can't affect anyone else's scores on the line, so don't waste time thinking about them!

Just my .02

Darrell

</div></div>

This is years of match shooting and a guy that knows. Listen

Should be the same as your other matches.

Just more noise and more fun.

Look for highpower prone and any/any matches.

there may not be any in your neck of the woods, generally i have to drive 3-4 hours one way to shoot in any of these matches.hope i dont get in trouble for this but check out port malabar rifle and pistol club, that is where this regional is being held at. it's down near melbourne. also check out bradford sportsman farm near starke. there is a 300yd range open to the public for 20.00 a day, and a 850 yd range once you qualify on it. if you are up for a drive marksmanship academey is north of tallahasee(bout 80 miles) and cool acres sporting club in swainsboro ga.(west of savannah.) all are on the web and hold monthly matches that you can shoot f class in cept for bradford. they do a lot of tactical and i.b.s. matches. also there is a place in pearson Ga. just west of waycross that has monthly matches. call parkers gun shop and they can tell you more about them

I know the port malabar club. Thats where I have shot for years but I was forced to move to daytona beach and so I don't get down to melbourne to much anymore.

I'll have to make it down there for the competition

o.k. so i did better than i hoped. wasnt really a problem with the number of shooters on the line. i just paid attention to me and my target and the conditions.here are scores:191-4x,188-3x,194-5x on fri.188-6x, 196-7x, 191-4x on sat. total of 1148-29x.

Understand that your fellow competitors are no opponents. Folks who see their fellow competitors as opponents are often their own biggest opponents.

Your fellow competitors are folks like yourself who are dealing with the same challenges.

Some have been at it longer and may have more insight to share. They can be approachable as long as you're not disruptive of their efforts.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: merrjm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">here are scores:191-4x,188-3x,194-5x on fri.188-6x, 196-7x, 191-4x on sat. total of 1148-29x. </div></div>

Those are some decent scores! They are nice and consistent, which tells me that your technique is fairly consistent.

Well done, keep it up.

Darrell