• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Jumping Berger 155 VLDs?

johnsopa

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2007
Pennsylvania
Doh! I had a Homer moment and bought 3 boxes of Berger 155gr VLDs instead of the 155.5 BT Fullbore bullets.

So, when loaded to mag length length these bullets are about 0.100" (yes, 1/10th of an inch) OFF the lands in my 308.

Is there much chance of these VLDs working well for me with this amount of jump or should I just try to sell the bullets and get some of the 155.5s?

This particular gun (Savage with a Lothar Walther barrel) is a solid 0.5 MOA gun at 200 yards with the old 155gr SMK Palmas using 46.2gr of Varget but I was looking for a flatter trajectory at further distances.

Re: Jumping Berger 155 VLDs?

They probably won't work well with that much jump. Most of the time Berger VLD's like to be right at or into the lands. Not always, but most of the time.

The only way to know is to test them out.

I will say that I have been shooting mine jammed ~0.010" into the lands, and I'm pretty much planning on jumping ship to the 155.5 BT as soon as the last of my 155 VLDs are gone - I'm pretty much there already.

But... (you had to know that was coming!)... but...

Berger, and at least one fairly successful shooter (Jerry Tierney) say to try jumping them a *lot*... apparently if you get them *far enough* away from the lands, they start to shoot well again. And they ain't talking a little bit. From the Berger website:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For years we have relayed that it is best to jam the VLD into the lands for best performance. This works for many rifles however there are many rifles that do not shoot the VLD well when the bullet is jammed. We have learned that the VLD can shoot best as much as .150 jump off the rifling. VLD bullets can be sensitive to seating depth and it has been found that these bullets shoot best in a COAL “sweet spot”. This sweet spot is a COAL range that is usually .030 to .040 wide.
The quickest way to find this sweet spot is to load ammo at four different COAL. Start with a COAL that allows the bullet to touch the rifling. The next COAL needs to be .040 off the lands. The third COAL needs to be .080 off the lands. The last COAL needs to be .120 off the lands. One of these COAL will outperform the other three by a considerable margin. It has been reported that the VLD bullets don’t group as well at 100 yards but get better as the bullet “goes to sleep” at further ranges. We have learned that by doing the four COAL test you will find a COAL where the VLD bullets will group well at 100 yards. Once the COAL that shoots best is established you can tweak +/- .005 or .010 to increase precision or you can adjust powder charges and other load variables. Frankly, those who do the four COAL test usually are happy with the results they get from this test alone.
</div></div>

You should try them. I have an FN SPR A5M. As with most factory guns it has quite a long throat.

Mine are really jumping and the 155 Berger VLD is the most accurate bullet I have used in the rifle. I have used AMAX, Sierras, Lapuas, they all shoot well but the Berger is exceptional. I wish they did not work so well. They are expensive. Just my experience with the "jump" issue. In contrast, I had to push the 175 VLD to the lands for them to shoot well.

Try a box and let us know how it goes.

Justin

Somewhere there is a post by Erik Stecker of Berger Bullets talking about suggestions on jumping the Berger VLDs. I'll try to find the link.

Jeffvn

Anyone know the BC of the Berger 155.5 BT ????? or the 155 VLD ?????

The boxes I have of each say something like 0.471 for the VLDs, and 0.484 for the BTs (may not be exact, but close enough). If you look on Berger's website they list BC data for all their bullets. I've been running mine @ 2940-2960fps; some of the people I shoot with run more in the 3050-3100fps range with both.

I tried jamming in the lands and got 2" groups. I loaded 5rds each .010,.020,.030,.040 etc and tried each one.
At .040 I got sub. 1/2 MOA.
It took a while but worth the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Old Coach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried jamming in the lands and got 2" groups. I loaded 5rds each .010,.020,.030,.040 etc and tried each one.
At .040 I got sub. 1/2 MOA. </div></div>

I assume that is .010, .020 etc -out of the lands ?

What speeds do you have and what components did you use ?

1/2 moa at what distances ?

The 155.5 box says .486 for the BC. I used that number at 2900fps and everything seemed to match up very well from computer data to field confirmed numbers.

FYI I have only been to about 700yards on comeups, longer range may reveal the .486 is not exact.

Are they the hunting vld's??
I have been playing with them a short while, I am getting 1/2 moa at 100 and under 3/4 at 300. I have a little vertical dispersion I am trying to work out. I have had best luck about .005 off the lands. 47.0 gr of re-15, lapua case and br2's. factory savage 2.890 coal