• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just a little Rant..

mcm308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2008
Bloomfield, NJ
I can't figure this one out.. I'm building an AR15 SASS my way. I'm rounding up all the parts to assemble and come across a new KAC URX II rifle length rail system. Now these rail systems are suppose to be the shizznizzle when it comes to front ends so I get all excited and snatch it up, not really caring about the buco $$ price tag cuz I want the shizzle. I then find out the install isn't as easy as lemon squeezy
cry.gif
. With the AR15 modification market the way it is... Why in the world would one of the best known companies for making top shelf AR's and equipment produce a rail system and make it so UN-user friendly with a special barrel nut that requires a special wrench with a 260.00 price tag to install. And then not even sell such wrench to the public leaving only a handful of dealers to install these URX rails. I wonder what the reasoning behind this is. I mean, I'm not much of a business man but it's kind of common sense. If they would've produced this rail so the end purchaser can install it themselves, I think they would sell them 10 fold. Even with the giganto price tag. Ok, Rant off.

Now I need to go figure out how to apply torque to this aluminum barrel nut without mangling it.
laugh.gif

IMG_1287.jpg

Re: Just a little Rant..

Knight's Armament is not exactly "consumer friendly" these days as they focus on the Mil/LEO sector of the market. That isn't to say that their products aren't good or that they don't want civilian sales...just that they aren't going to cater to the market.

In doing so...they have overlooked the fact that most people out there don't want to spend beaucoup bucks on a product and then have to turn around on spend nearly as much on the installation to retrofit the Knight's product which is only available through a select few "Certified Armorer".

Daniel Defense and Larue are your friends. Extremely high quality, tons of different options to fit the end user's needs perfectly, and relatively easy installation without hundreds of dollars of specialized tools or the need for shipping your upper to an armorer.

Knights could care less about civilian sells. The only thing they pump out somewhat normally is their NT4 suppressors and small parts. But good luck finding the muzzle devices to attach them!

Why worry about one guy buying one rail system a year... when you have the military buying up 20,000 rails!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a cat over on ARFCOM selling CNC cut tools he is making up for the URX since knight's is a bunch of stingy bitches.

URX tool made by someone </div></div>

That cat only made one tool and it broke. He is trying to come up with another way of making one but they are not for sale. I talked to him already...lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Knights could care less about civilian sells.

Why worry about one guy buying one rail system a year... when you have the military buying up 20,000 rails! </div></div>

I suppose that'll do it...
laugh.gif

Strap wrench and take a wild ass guess on the torque.A little rosin so it won't slip. Is it the same diameter as the nut on the barrel extension? An AR armorer's tool? Although a 2 or 3 pin spanner would gall it if it needed alot of torque.

Knight's can suck my balls.....the more exclusive they can make it the more you want it right????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Knight's can suck my balls.....the more exclusive they can make it the more you want it right???? </div></div>

one of the oldest marketing ploys in the world right there!

Hmm,..

Have you considered making a socket out of a piece of tubing roughed up on the inside and a liberal coating of release agent on your barrel nut then maybe use MarineTex or JB weld to form a fitted joint/socket ? , hey we all glass bed rifles so you glass bed the nut into a short piece of tubing with some flats on the outside so you can put a spanner on it.
I was thinking a big old axle nut loaded with JB would be the hot setup flats on the outside and rough inside all set just cast, let it set up and set your barrel

Just a beer induced daydream but it just may be crazy enough to work.

John

DISCLAIMER : I am not a Gunsmith, I have never assembled an AR , and I did NOT sleep at a Holiday Inn last night..

Quite a few years back our sniper team got the go ahead to buy 6 sr-25's for our sniper team. We put the purchase order in and waited patiently to get our rifles. After about 6 months we still had not received the rifles. Just by coincidence we were competing at the swat round-up and Knight was doing a display of their wares there. We made contact with the owner of the company there and made inquiries about a delivery date. They advised us that they were now in the process of delivering a large order of rifles to the military and they would not be able to complete our order. Now before people start beating me up this was way before 9-11 and there was no conflict going on anywhere. We had made the order prior to the militaries order and actually went to their facility to R&D their rifles. The owner did state that he would be willing to pull 6 rifles from the order if we wanted but we would have to pay the military price for these rifles. Our price for the rifles was $3600 per rifle. The military's price was $5200. We asked what the difference was between our quoted rifle and the military's. They advised it was the same system, nothing extra. Well as you can imagine, our department had bitched about the original price so you can guess what happened when we said we needed an additional $10,000 to get the same rifle as promised. So we ended up going to an AR-10 which was far inferior to the SR-25 back then. Needless to say I will never deal with them again over the incident. Just thought you should know.