• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just another Barrett 98B .338LM shorty...

vmpglenn

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2004
Fitchburg, WI
Yep, 20" qualifies as a shorty in the .338LM world.

This 98B is my first .338LM rifle. The barrel is 1:10 twist. The ergonomics and trigger are great, the brake makes it easy to shoot, and I appreciate the reasonably-priced mags. Thirty rounds of 250gr Hornady BTHP down the pipe so far, and I'm loving it. The rifle definitely shoots better than I do.

MV for the Hornady factory loads is 2615fps. I have yet to chrono the 250gr SMK loads I got from ChadTRG (Dallas Custom Reloads). And, of course, I need to work up good handloads (looking at the new Hornady 285gr .338 bullets).

My range maxes out at 1200 yards, so I figure I'm OK at that distance even with the mild Hornady factory ammo.

The optics mount is the new LaRue LT-112 with 20MOA of slope built in, holding a Nightforce 3.5-15x50 F1. The bipod is the Barrett-supplied Harris with a Pod-Loc and the rubber MOUT feet from Phoenix Tactical (I also have the Pod Claws for sand/soil use). I use a TIS Quick-Cuff sling for positional shooting –– it attaches to the QD mount in the rear stock and the VTAC LPSM on the top rail just forward of the scope.

I have a Possum Hollow bore guide that works great, and the way the rifle breaks down makes it really easy to clean.

Oh, and the length of pic rail behind the tripod? It's for a DCLW tripod system with the DLOC flattop head.

98b_tilt_850.jpg

Re: Just another Barrett 98B .338LM shorty...

very nice rifle/ scope combo mate!

glad to see some more of these popping thier heads up!

Re: Just another Barrett 98B .338LM shorty...

Whats the trigger like in these?