• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing just back from Africa plains game hunting

PaulStafford

Sergeant
Minuteman
Blesbok from 180 yds, 300 wm
5540645419_71f17a5440_m.jpg

Wildebeast from 200 yds, .300wm
5540645531_81dab70f3c_m.jpg

Kudu from 150 yds, 8x68
5540645697_4b03f7c685_m.jpg

Re: just back from Africa plains game hunting

Nice animals who'd you go through?

I am lucky to have some good friends! - I got to hunt a 37,000 acre private farm adjacent to the Karoo. I didn't even need a PH with me...they have one on staff who signs you off.

Got the blesbok and wildebeast while hunting with my friend/host. Kudu being much harder to find, he gave me my own tracker. That took 3 1/2 days of some very hard hiking/hunting. Altitudes varied from 3500-6500ft, very warm.

no travel issues other than driving on the LH side of the road, and drivers nonchalantly making 2 lanes into 4 for passing slow trucks.
if you do go, watch where you change your money. there were 3-4 different companies in the airport, but the rates were drastically different even in adjacent booths.

I too hope to someday make it to Africa. I'm looking at about three years. This year, I was finally lucky enough to draw an Oryx tag for the White sands Missile Range in New Mexico. What an incredible animal. It was a lot tougher to hunt and to kill than I thought it would be. Can't wait to go after one in Africa.

Greg V
020-Copy.jpg

Greg- beautiful!
was that a female? (female horns longer and thinner than males, at least in Africa)

I saw a few where I was, but was not cleared by my host to take one (there was an old one-horned one they wanted me to take for safety sake, but I never caught up with him).

What cartridge did you use?

Thanks Paul, they are beautiful animals. It was a female. It sure is hard to tell them apart in the field. Most of the animals that we saw were a long ways off, always looking at us, and always on the move. We had to get a ways back into the hills in order to get close to them. I shot this one at 200yds. with a .35 Whelen.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PaulStafford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am lucky to have some good friends! - I got to hunt a 37,000 acre private farm adjacent to the Karoo. I didn't even need a PH with me...they have one on staff who signs you off.

Got the blesbok and wildebeast while hunting with my friend/host. Kudu being much harder to find, he gave me my own tracker. That took 3 1/2 days of some very hard hiking/hunting. Altitudes varied from 3500-6500ft, very warm. </div></div>

Very nice, do they need anymore good friends Africa is on my list of places to go and I may as well hunt while I'm there at least that's the way I have the wife convinced.

Congrats on some nice animals! Africa is such a hunter's paradise thanks for sharing your experience. How big was your Kudu Bull BTW? just curious I love Kudu they are such an awesome Animal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PaulStafford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Kudu was not all that big- 40".
most decent trophy starts above 50". but I don't care, he was beautiful
smile.gif
</div></div>

Kudu is one of my favorite animal. I went in '09 for my first safari and I shot this 56" old bull. He scored SCI gold.

DSC00525.jpg

Paul congrats.
I did my last Sept and loved it.
Although wasnt fortunate enough to get a Kudu chased'm around plenty though. Hopefully there will be a "next" time.
Those Eland's are HUGE..saw a few while hunting and just about got run over by 3 my last night there.

We saw plenty of eland, although not of hunt-able size. They stretch the capabilities of the .300wm

I know what you mean about chasing Kudu- they have to be one of the more sly and wary of the plains game. I saw two others but they were not shootable- always disappearing into thick riverine brush.
I surely got my exercise. My tracker was a wiry little guy who simply floated up and down the rocky hills.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PaulStafford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">holy cow Desert Fox- awesome Kudu.
My other favorite is Oryx. Hope to go back and get one of those. Not so excited by Eland though.
I really like the African plains game. </div></div>

Yep! the thing is so old that the ivory tip was worn. He's probably about 60 incher at one time. The PH told me that I'm not suppose to shoot Kudu that size on my first Safari. Here's the picture of him after arrival from Africa.

Africa285.jpg

Congrats on a great hunt . I hope to go in afew years.
Love the Kudu!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PaulStafford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Desert Fox-

that's something to be proud of!
I'm sure you worked hard for him-

what cartridge did you use? range? I love the details of the hunt. </div></div>

Paul, two friend and I booked with Sadaka Safari in RSA. The PH has access to over a million acres of prime hunting ranches. Most of these ranches were located close to the lodge were we staying. The accommodation and the hunt itself were first class all the way. We brought two Custom Weatherby's... one a 300 and another a 375. The 300 was loaded with 180 grain Barnes TSX and the 375 with 235 grain Barnes TSX FB. The rifles belong to my friend. I did not bring any of mine since I'm familiar with both rifles... I reload for them. Between us three, we harvested 9 animals. 8 were harvested with 375 and only one animal, a mountain redbuck was taken with the 300 Bee. I took an Impala, a warthog, a Zebra and the Kudu. Another friend took a waterbuck, an impala, a mountain redbuck and a Zebra also. Another friend went with us as a non hunter but endeed up shooting a Red hartebeest. Most of the shot were close, The PH insist on stalking close to an animal before he allowed you to take the shot.

I posted the details of our hunt in the Nosler Forum. here's the link to it:

http://www.noslerreloading.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10243

There's more stories here:

http://www.noslerreloading.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10455&p=65487#p65487

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PaulStafford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Kudu was not all that big- 40".
most decent trophy starts above 50". but I don't care, he was beautiful
smile.gif
</div></div>

Yessir im with you all the way on that one
smile.gif
Just curious what he went I love the way there Horns Spiral so beautiful and graceful animals.

Happy Hunting!!!

DesertFox Beautiful Kudu with nice deep curls really Handsome Kudu you got there and a fine mount. Congrats on such a fine trophy!

we saw a group of about 20 on the ranch we were hunting, and I know there were several other herds. But the numbers did not support taking one when I was there. I think they're gorgeous, too. maybe next time if I am so lucky as to be invited back.

hunting in Africa. That's the stuff dreams are made of. Very nice photos there folks.

Desert Fox...awesome kudu as said before, now i want to see a shipping crate like that too.
I did my hunt now I just wish I at least got a note saying my stuff was ready to ship. Damn slow taxidermist, all i wanted was a dip n ship
For those that like pics here's a link to mine:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...687#Post2042687

I'd pay to go baboon shooting. I hate those bloody things.

I wish I could go to Africa and hunt.

808 huntress
I wanted to hunt Gemsbok (AKA Oryx), and the private I was at had them, but unfortunately not in sufficient numbers to hunt. I did have permission to take a one-horned male that folks had seen, but I never saw him. I did see quite a few nice ones, maybe I'll get to go back in a few years.

This was my first time to Africa, but not my last. There's something truly magical about being there, almost as if it's built in our genes.

Ghogs- beautiful Oryx, and massive Impala...BTW, I was told the wait on my mounts would be a year.

to all who are dreaming - yes, it is worth it.

I do a lot of work in that area Paul, very nice area to go hunt.
Interestin that the guys there do so well with overseas hunters, Us locals tend to go to the "Bushveld" up north, diferent type of hunting, but I prefere it in a way.
But I have to admit, Last year's hunt in the Karoo (same as where Paul went) was an amazing hunt!!!
YOu guys should make a plan and come hunt here more often... Flights are expensive, but hunting here is not. If you do it local style (roughing it in a self catering camp) you can get away for $20 a day & hunt Impala from $100 a head...

Either way, happy hunting guys!

Paul,
Bummer that you werent able to get that bull while you were there but it just gives more incentive to get back there
smile.gif

I was very fortunate to take a number of Gemsbok while there they were a favorite to hunt.

Thats a VERY TRUE STATEMENT I also feel like its in our genes to be there just something that you cant explain unless you actually experience it. Truly Amazing Place!!!

Aloha