• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Just booked my flight to South Africa!

flounderv2

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2008
Ohio
Im headed down to Johannesburg for work coming up and decided to take the opportunity to do a hunt while Im there. I decided for sake of easy travel to just rent a rifle instead of taking any of mine. Luckily, my colleague in our Johannesburg office is also a big hunter and has a very close friend that owns and operates a hunting/sightseeing safari operation so he is arranging everything for us and was able to guarantee us a spot on short notice at good pricing. Im not sure what all I will go for but a Kudu is definitely on the list. Im pretty excited about the trip and just thought I'd share. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Just booked my flight to South Africa!

Im headed there on the 25th of August with the wife and we cant wait. Will be our first time there and my list is long of things I want to kill. let us know how the trip goes

Keep and eye on your shit entering/departing the airport. There be thieves there.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LegioX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keep and eye on your shit entering/departing the airport. There be thieves there.....
</div></div>

I assume someone is picking you up at the airport. Some taxis are in with criminals and will just pick you up and take you somewhere where they rob you of all your shit. Johannesberg is probably the most dangerous city in the world. You will see on the side of the road signs that say carjacking hotspot and I have spent a few years in Iraq and I have never seen security like I have seen there. Don't be afraid to go, just be aware. I would go back in a heartbeat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jong</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LegioX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keep and eye on your shit entering/departing the airport. There be thieves there.....
</div></div>

Johannesberg is probably the most dangerous city in the world.</div></div>

Isn't Johannesberg also known as the "Rape Capital" of the world too?

Smokin99: Watch the wife & keep her with you at all times; I saw somewhere 1 in 4 men there brag they have raped...

Checklist:
Neck pillow for flight ____
Comfortable boots for walking/hunting _____
Sunscreen _____
Camera with big card _____
Patience for those (#*$&@(#*$&(#*$&f porters at the airport _____
Thats all I can think of, you may want to add Gemsbuk to your list maybe some warthog/impala (common). Make sure you listen to the guides on shot placement and have fun its an awesome time.

Ive heard its dangerous as hell there so it will be interesting for sure especially considering I will be traveling with multiple laptops for work. Im really excited about the hunting trip. Im planning taking a Kudu with a rifle and then I may switch to a bow and try and take something else like a warthog or impala.

You will like hunting the "Grey Ghost". I will hunt Kudu everytime I am in Africa.

Good luck! Headed there myself on the 19th for plains game.

Congrats! I am also heading to Africa for work. I leave Sept. 10th but I am not as lucky as you. I will be spending 17 days in western/north western Africa and there is no hunting around that area. I have been promissed a fishing trip while I am there tho.