• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just bought a Marlin XT17VR!

tt123

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2010
Denmark
I just bought a Marlin XT17VR. I've been wanting get myself a .17 HMR for a while and finally took the plunge today. I had a few shots with it at the shop's test range, but I'll have to take it out and give it a thorough test sometime very soon.

Does anyone else here have one? Any tips on which ammunition is likely to be best (I've already bought some CCI TNT). Any other tips, or points to watch out for will be gratefully received.

I'm really looking forward to taking it out when the hunting season starts here (it's the minumum legal calibre for fox, hare, and geese)!

Where are the pictures? My Marlin 17 is probably one of my favorite guns to shoot. Groundhogs worst nightmire.

Look for the 20gr CCI GamePoint hollow points instead of VMax or TNTs. They won't damage your game as much if you're after food. The others are awesome if you want "explosive" results on small critters. I'm interested to hear a range report on grouping performance as well!

Not the world's best photo, I'll see if I can get a better one when I take it to the range (and a couple of group photos too). The scope came with it as a package, and is of a brand that I've never heard of before (Optic Science), so I'm guessing it's Chinese. Seems okay so far though.

Attachments

• IMG_1878.JPG
    IMG_1878.JPG
    737.2 KB · Views: 34
mine loves 17gr hornady thats it wont shoot anything else

The rifle itself I'm pleased with. The scope, and especially the mounts, I'm somewhat doubtful about.

Attachments

• dodgy mounts.jpg
    dodgy mounts.jpg
    687.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited: