• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just built my new rifle...Finially done!!!

Mgordon

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2007
Wellington, Ohio
www.shortactioncustoms.com
Hey guys, I just figured I would show a few of the latest rifle projects. The 700 in the Manners stock is my personal rifle and the other two were for some friends. I hope you enjoy the pictures.

I STILL NEED TO CERAKOTE THIS BARRELED ACTION. This one is a Remington 700 that has been blue printed. The bolt was sent off to Dans40X and he worked his magic. I had him tig on a PTG straight handle and I installed a Badger bolt knob. I barreled the action with a Krieger Heavy palma chambered in .308 1-12" finished off at 26" with a heavy crown.

I had Manners send me a semi inletted MCS-T4. I pillar and glassed it with Devcon and skim coated it with Marine Tex. I inletted and installed a Badger M5 bottom metal. I duracoated the stock using Bulldog Arms GAP camo, this was my first attempt doing any kind of camo pattern and I learned alot!!! Its not bad, but I will do better next time. Scope base is Badger 20 MOA, Mark 4 medium rings with a Leupold Mark 4 ER/T 6.5x20x50 with Mil-Dot. I am doing some loading today and probably shooting it tomorrow to see what it can do.

DSC03763.jpg

DSC03754.jpg

DSC03750.jpg

DSC03746.jpg

2-14.jpg

1-17.jpg

untitled-6.jpg

11.jpg

3-3.jpg

Re: Just built my new rifle!!!!!

Nice build. Looking forward to the range report.

Hey guys, I was able to do some shooting today with the .308. It was 100 yards, slight 10 mph breezes on a North Carolina day. The target was a large sheet of cardboard clipped to two parallel ropes going horizontally across the berm. The wind caused the target board to "jump" around when the breeze hit it.

Besides the test fire, this was the first firing this rifle has seen. The first 5 shots were shoot/clean for each shot. Then I fired 5 shot groups, then cleaned. I let the barrel cool down a bit between each group.

My reloads shot the best. I seated all bullets .010" off the lands. The best groups were 168 gr A-Max with 42 gr of Reloader 15. Brass was Remington URBR brass (thanks to Dans40X) with Federal Small rifle match primers.
DSC03808.jpg

DSC03810.jpg

DSC03809.jpg

DSC03811.jpg

DSC03812.jpg

DSC03813.jpg

nice rifle,good loading!hey you sure the barrel isnt touching the stock so place,looks to be stringing a little but could also be your charge?congrats!

Yeah, I double checked it while it was in the shop. I'm pretty sure the "stringing" was from the target bouncing up and down from the wind while it was hanging.

I knew somebody would catch that!!!!

I'm using Remington URBR Brass, I believe that it uses an .080" flash hole and is made to use Small Rifle Primers. I can take a picture later if you are interested. Its pretty neat stuff!

Stan;
I beleive that URBR 308 brass actually uses small primers.
I have never seen or used them, but I have heard about them.

It's BR stuff. We "errogant wantabees" don't often see such things.
laugh.gif

Poor spelling credited to the original author of the term.

Whats the reason for using a small rifle primer vs. a large rifle primer??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's BR stuff. We "errogant wantabees" don't often see such things.
Poor spelling credited to the original author of the term.</div></div>

I wanted to go there but im glad u did instead!
mad.gif

I have too much respect for both SH and 6mmbr to make such a generalization about either. I have certainly run into individuals who might earn a similar term.
laugh.gif

It's been a while since I read about it.
I think someone a lot brighter than I came to the conclusion that a particular primer blast pattern worked better and this was the result.

Sometimes a very powerful primer can actually push the bullet forward before the charge has fully ignited. I've had some magnums that shot better with large rifle primers. TM

I use to load for a guy that had a .22 cheetah. It used BR stamped 308 brass that was necked down to a .224. The stuff was nearly impossible for me to find. It used a small rifle primer as well. Luckily he dumped the rifle before it shot out. My next suggestion to him was going to be rebarrel in 22-243 instead of having to go through the pains we were dealing with. The inline muzzleloader crowd is starting to go with the primer pushing the bullet theory as well. Now they are using 25acp primed cases and cutdown 22 hornet cases in specially adapted breech plugs to get a more consistent flash from the primer than the standard 209's that have a hotter flash and unseat the bullet before full powder ignition.
BTW, nice looking rifle and groups.