• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos Just built these sister rifles

Randfal

Vermin Hunter
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2008
Wyoming
Just built two 308AIs with .3355 necks(for unturned Winchester brass) and long throats. One for me and one for my best friend. Tan rifle has 26" Shilen barrel in a #6contour. The green rifle has a larger diameter Hart barrel and bigger brake. Gunkote matte black coatings. Both are shall shank Savages but I made the green rifle with a small shank tenon and a large shank nut thread(use large shank nut) so we could keep a larger barrel diameter and keep the barrel nut both. You'd really have to know what you are looking for to be able to tell. I run 208Amaxs at 2605fps with R17 powder. We've both shoot under 4" 5 shot groups at 600yds. Great rifles.

Re: Just built these sister rifles

That is a little upsetting actually. I use 208 Amax's in my .300 WM and only get like 2900 or so. That is with a 24 inch barrel. I am going to have to experiment with some other powders at some point to see if I can get more.

Randfal - Those are nice looking rifles, looks like a nice place to shoot too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Felderthewelder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is a little upsetting actually. I use 208 Amax's in my .300 WM and only get like 2900 or so. That is with a 24 inch barrel. I am going to have to experiment with some other powders at some point to see if I can get more. </div></div>

Send me a PM, I have a bit of experience working with that combo. If I can help out, I'd be happy to.

very nice looking rifles. Great Job!
Those Hart barrels are awesome. I have some experience with the .30 Hart in a custom Rem 700.

Could you post a pic of a 308 improved round?

The Reloader 17 powder has been pushing them pretty fast for a 308. There isn't much gained going with an Ackley version except you gain a little more stable brass with less neck growth. The big gain is the long throat. It lets you seat the bullets out farther to gain back all that lost chamber capacity. Down fall is they don't fit in the magazine. I would not shoot them that hot loaded to magazine length.(I can get the 208gr Hornadys HPBT to fit in the mag and run 2990-3000fps safely.)I have shot the 208s AMAXs up to 2675 but I wouldn't trust them in the summer heat. Didn't get any really bad pressure signs or loose primmer pockets but just had that sense that "this is enough" and backed them down alittle. I also moly coat them. Haven't tried them naked.

Randfal - Those are nice looking rifles, looks like a nice place to shoot too.

It is a great place to shoot. I live in Wyoming and we have a saying, "If you move here and do not have a gun, don't worry, We'll issue you one."
The range shot is in Pierre, SD at the Varmint Hunters Association 600yd range. Great facility. They hold monthly 600yd bench rest matches there in the summer.(this year's matches are cancelled due to flooding.)Good people and a good place to start shooting competition benchrest in a laid back setting.

Nice!

I'm a fan of the 308 Win, 208 AMax, moly, RL17 combo too.

I'm loading them to 3.00" oal, and getting 2675 fps from a 26" Rem barrel.

COol look Savages... Big fan of Barrel nut..
smile.gif
I'm running the 208amax's(HBN coated) also with H-1000 @ 78.4 and .010" getting 2975fps out of a Brux 30" MTU contour.. Love the savage.. Later

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Randfal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could you post a pic of a 308 improved round?

I just posted a few pics in the gallery.