• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just got a new R700 SPS Tactical - Problem?

Blag

Private
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2009
West Michigan, USA
Ok, has anyone heard anything about Remington's QC going to shit lately?

I JUST brought home a BRAND NEW Remington 700 SPS Tactical rifle. The freaking thing has bad head spacing. I just can't believe a NEW rifle could get out of the factory with this problem. Now I am not a gunsmith so this MAY not be the problem but I don't know what else it would be. The bolt function fine when unloaded. As soon as I put rounds in the mag and try to cycle it the bolt won't close without excessive force.

Again, I am not 100% it's the headspacing as this is my first centerfire (moving up from .22 long range. Could there be a different problem somewhere I am over looking?

Re: Just got a new R700 SPS Tactical - Problem?

All I had in the house was Black Hills V-Max and Wolf, neither one worked. I also did clean out the chamber well.

O.K. If you were using factory ammunition and had this problem it would take a trip back to Remington if it were mine. TJR

I'd even go so far as to try taking it back to the place you bought it and ask them for a refund. Otherwise get on the phone with remmy.

Good luck.

Yeah, I called the place I bought it from. They were complete dicks to me about it. Saying how they don't know if a smith will be able to look at it for me when I show up or even if they can tell me if one will be in the building (I live a hour and a half away from the place.)

I did notice though they brass is getting scratched up when its cylced. I cycled this one piece about 5 times and these are the marks on it (the scratches shows up easier on the steel wolf for pictures).

001-11.jpg

002-8.jpg

003-8.jpg

I guessing its 223, and yeah i had the same problem when i brought mine home, the scratching is from the sharp edges of the action. These will get worn down with time, the hard to cam the bolt down is the extractor is a little oversize, mine had the same problem, some time with a dremel and a fine grit polishing wheel to the lip of the extractor and its not a problem anymore

Looks like you have burrs in your new chamber from the reamer causing a stiff bolt... not headspacing.

Yeah, looking like that. I wasn't sure what was wrong, this is my first centerfire that I have had to mess with this with. It is almost looking like the extractor lip is to large or something and smashing through the lip on the brass, or is this normal?

These cartridges were each cycled just once.

004-10.jpg

005-9.jpg

006-7.jpg

007-6.jpg

008-4.jpg

mine did that until i took a polishing wheel to the extractor

Yep, same problem here with a brnad new 223 SPS Tactical, even took the bolt out of my 223 LTR which has zero problems with the extractor or chamber, had the same results as to bolt not closeing. Gonna try smoothing up the extracter on the bolt that came with my Tactical, if that desnt help, gonna pull the barrel and have my smith cut some threads off rechamber to 223AI, rethread and reinstall.

Good Luck.

Yes, it was the extractor, just polished mine for a minute, but I remembered what my rifle smith said, and that was he cuts 2 sprirals off the I beleive its the spring behind the ectracter plunger tube off because the factory rems are to stiff, well I did that as well and mine is running smooth now. Still getting semi deep scratches in the brass, HateCA got any idea's on how to polish the chamber, w/o hurting it?

Thanks.

I agree Forest12, this will be the last Remy I buy, got a good deal on her brand new, and was going to use this one as a truck gun, but now just going to use the receiver for a build. Next one will be a Surgeon rnd reciver and go from there.

Blag, hope this is helping with yours. Good luck.

Wow... that's terrible! Guess I'll be going with the FN Model 70.

For some reason this seems to be happening in the SPS T in .223. Haven't heard of a similar issue with the .308 model.

The reason you see this problem mainly on the 223's is because the extractor design is different from the larger bolt face chamberings. The problem exists on 223's other than the SPS or the Tactical. I've encountered this same problem on several models in 223.

I believe Remington is aware of this problem.

I would recommend the owner contact Remington Customer Service/Support with purchase info and weapon serial #. Request a new extractor (correctly ground) and the removal / installation instructions.

The phone call plus the time spent to change out the extractor should be less than 30 minutes.

Hope this helped.

Hey guys, thanks for the info!

I took it back to the shop I got it from today and the smith worked on it for a half and hour and shot a couple rounds through it. He said it was perfect now. He told me the bolt handle is suppose to be really stiff on the rifle due to the tight tolerences.

I got it home and there was no difference. Still scratching up the brass to hell (deep enough to catch my finger nail in it) and I still need to physically slap the bolt with my palm to get it to close.

I took some really fine grit sand paper to the mag lips and that totally fixed the scratching problem, it is still harder than hell to close the bolt on a round though. I am thinking about just ordering a new extractor from Brownells (only like $12) and if that doesn't fix it send it back to Remington to get fixed. I would rather not have to wait so many weeks during Coyote season though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys, thanks for the info!

He told me the bolt handle is suppose to be really stiff on the rifle due to the tight tolerences.

</div></div>

lol wut

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 051F</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys, thanks for the info!

He told me the bolt handle is suppose to be really stiff on the rifle due to the tight tolerences.

</div></div>

lol wut </div></div>

indeed, I am sick of this place. I won't be spending another dime there. The smith pretty much told me it was suppose to be like this and made me sound like I don't know a thing about "precision rifles". I think he was just to lazy to actually spend time on it and actually look at it.

Blag, good luck with Reminton, might be easier to have a smith here on the hide due some chamber work for ya. at least ya could have the receiver trued/blueprinted at the same time. I have done everything youv'e done and mine is at my smith as we speak.

Stephen

wnroscoe tuned my 700 sps action, i dont have a tactical bolt handle because it would be redundant, its like buttah.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys, thanks for the info!

I took it back to the shop I got it from today and the smith worked on it for a half and hour and shot a couple rounds through it. He said it was perfect now. He told me the bolt handle is suppose to be really stiff on the rifle due to the tight tolerences.

</div></div>
He would prolly lie to u about other things as well. Would look for a real gunsmith if i were u.

I have been having a major headache with my new rem 700 in 264 win mag bought it new and had a bad chamber had to drive the bolt open with a mallet it was showing a brite scuff about 1/3 of the way around the case just ahead of the belt, took it back to the shop that I bought it from and they were great took it back and gave me another one off the shelf, I did not get to shoot this one for about 4 months after I got it and when I did it has the same problem that Blag had, had to force the bolt down and it was taking slivers of brass off the rim, 2 RIFLES IN A ROW wtf is remington QC doing
frown.gif

Same thing with a Classic fireball. Would not chamber a round when it was NEW. Looked exactly like that when it came back! BUT the second time back it was fixed. i had to ask for forgiveness at bed time several nights for the way I spoke to the Rem guy after that first return trip to big green.

Be very careful with the end decision. I ALMOST sent a perfectly good rifle back to Remington because my smith used the wrong headspace gauge. And they come from the factory with a HUGE freebore, .193"+ on mine, just so you can't load out to the lands without having to single feed it.

I would "out" the store who gave you the poor c/s so others don't have to deal with that level of CRAP.
YES, Remmy's QC is down the tubes, BTW.
Respectfully,
LG

I had the same (crushing the rim) problem with my 223 sps when I first got it last year. I called Remington and they sent another extractor..which did the same thing. I just ground down the one I had until it stopped doing it.

I had some case scratching issues from the edges of where the rounds were passing into the action from below, but that went away when I put it in an AICS
wink.gif

Same problem here as well with a .223. Replaced the extractor and actually lightly filed it a little to give the case more room. The scratches could be a number of things. Try loading it with an unscratched piece and slowly unload it using your finger to try and keep it straight as it comes out - Could be rubbing while opening the bolt and extracting.

You could also bore scope the chamber and take a look see. One of the best tools I have bought. Let me know if it helps and what you find.

JamieD
Wolf Precision

PS - I have a .223 that is my favorite practice round. You will love it once you get past these bumps.

i think remington is trying to do too much at once.getting into the ar race,factory tactical rifle race,among other crap.just build quality,old school 700 actions with old school style triggers and people will buy your product,that's my opinion any way.

I have a friend that had a bad chamber in a new 700p 338LM,
he contacted Remington, they said they would get back in touch, the didn't, He had one of his local BR gunsmith set it back a thread or two and clean-up the chamber with a finish reamer. Remington should look at the brass when they proof the barrels.\
+1 on Remington's QC going down the tubes.

That sucks for the OP. I've looked at 4 different SPS-T 20" rifles lately at a local gunshop. The quality is pure shit. Some didn't have a crown...looked like the chopped the barrel off then threw it in a box for some poor sap to fork over $550+ and think they are getting something great.

I hear so many people say they "got lucky" with Rem. factory 700s that shoot .5moa. I don't care for luck. I need predictability and reliability. Getting lucky is for being with women, not for rifles. My point is you are taking a $550+ gamble or in my case I took a $970 gamble with a 5R. I had a 5R that took a shit on me and second one I've got now isn't really predictable enough for me to enjoy and feel comfortable. There's always the one flyer .5" out of a .2" group. But most of the time its a .4-.7" gun. There are stresses in the barrel that come out when it gets hot that are above what is expected. I had to put 520+ rounds through it before it wasn't covered up in copper after 10-15 rounds. A real pain in the ass to keep clean.

Hindsight being 20/20 I would have started my custom build two years ago...which would have been my first personal bolt gun. I get enough trigger time with my work gun to have waited till I got the money together. And would not have bought a 5R. Custom gun will run $4100 without the glass. But I feel confident that it will be worth it. Or I can buy several 5Rs or 700Ps changing them like underwear till I get the one that fits, and then it still won't be a custom gun. It's just cheaper and easier to go custom right out of the gate. I've handload my .308 175SMK rounds for $.42 each, which is cheap compared to the $1.25 that folks are paying for FGMM or the like. I hear the "buy an SPS or a LTR and shoot the barrel out of it then have it trued and rebarrel." How many thousands of dollars of FGMM do you want to put through a factory barrel so that it's "shot out." A barrel that may or may not occasionally shoot the desired groups of .5" or better. Or have to worry about sending a rifle back to Remington as this OP should and as I had to do already.

Save the money you would spend on ammo and start off right with good tools to do the job...a good rifle. I could kick myself everytime I think of the money I spent in shooting to only be disappointed by the rifle. I recently shot my first AI .308 and was floored by it. 5 shots in one hole most likely a .2" group or better from 100y. And the rifle was over ten years old and had several thousand rounds through it. Quality is quality.

My build ...
Surgeon 591
A5 in GAP camo
Krieger .30 MTU 1-11 blank 27" to be finished at 22"-24"
Surgeon bottom metal all metal ceracote OD green
and one badass gunsmith.

Yes I am very excited.

Don't get me wrong a factory gun has it's place but...
1. if your demand a higher level of accuracy or
2. you are not into putting your money on lady luck

then a custom is a sure thing.

Many will say spend your money on ammo and learn to shoot. But there is only so much one can do with a 1 moa gun. A 1 moa gun is a 1 moa gun no matter whose driving. To me it makes it hard to diagnose shooter error when your unsure if the gun is performing as it should. My humble two cents.

To the OP...good luck with your issue. Call Remington they should be helpful, as they were with me. They diagnosed, replaced, and shipped me my new barreled action back after 4 working days. They factory repair sheet said it had damaged/miscut rifling.

My brother has the same exact problem with a brand NIB Remy SPS Tactical in 308 that he bought last week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1000yard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a friend that had a bad chamber in a new 700p 338LM,
he contacted Remington, they said they would get back in touch, the didn't, He had one of his local BR gunsmith set it back a thread or two and clean-up the chamber with a finish reamer. Remington should look at the brass when they proof the barrels.\
+1 on Remington's QC going down the tubes. </div></div>

I love the Remington Action.

I am less than enthralled with Remington, post-HedgeFund.

The quality is definitely slipping downhill and these days, I would strongly urge spending the extra money to go with a Rifle offering which has additional QC steps or is NOT part of the mass production process.

The 700SS 5-R comes to mind as does the 700P and 700P LTR.

None of these are foolproof in terms of guaranteed quality however both the 700P models are guaranteed by Remington at 1MOA or better, and all three of these rifles have had lower incidences of crap guns making it to light than the usual Varmint or Tactical models.

I think there can be zero question that Remington's quality has gone down hill. Its really unfortunate to watch a classic harm their reputation this way.

I bought an .223 SPS last year and thought it was just tight and needed "broken in". I was shooting a ruger 22-250 that was smooth as butter. Mine is still very hard to push down when chambering a round a year later. This explains why.
Thanks for the info,
I am going to attempt to fix this now.

I took it back to the shop I got it from today and the smith

<span style="color: #FF0000">I took some really fine grit sand paper to the mag lips and that totally fixed the scratching problem</span>, it is still harder than hell to close the bolt on a round though. I am thinking about just ordering a new extractor from Brownells (only like $12) and if that doesn't fix it send it back to Remington to get fixed. I would rather not have to wait so many weeks during Coyote season though.
</div></div>

I was going to ask if you were seating the bullet into the magwell,but you just answered that question.
I could see by the repeated scratches (identical in shape)that they were put there by a repeated process.
You should have hand fed the round into the chamber then try closing the bolt, that would eliminate one perceived problem.
I would have also checked the pressure of the ejector to verify it is not binding or too stiff, (use a punch to depress the ejector)

So in trying to diagnose the problem, you would have hand feed the round you would have eliminated the scratching, which throws up all kinds of red flags when associated with a chamber, then found the bolt hard to close which would be associated with the ejector.these are easy to check yourself, anything beyond that I'd send it back to Remington, or at least call them first.
Curt

My SPS-T in .223 has the same case scratches with almost no ejector marring, and my buddies SPS-T in .223 has the same ejector problems, with almost no case scratches. Williams said they would file the extractor and polish the feed ramp for $40. Sounds like a good deal to me.

As far as shooting good, mines holding .4-.7 and had almost no copper fouling problems. His wasn't holding an inch or two. It keeps fouling out and has almost 200 rounds through it. Reading this thread has helped me understand our problems. Thanks guys for posting your info!

had the same problem with my 308 for about the first 50 then it worked itself out.