• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Just got a S&W M&P VTAC in 9mm

BIPMaster

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2010
Arkansas
Just got a VTAC for $555 shipped from budspolicesupply.com, and I also get a $50 mail in rebate. Took it to the range and shot some rounds at 25 yards. They were hitting low, which may have been as much due to the distance as anything else. My question is regarding the VTAC sights. Is there a way to adjust them for elevation, or do I just need to start aiming higher?

Re: Just got a S&W M&P VTAC in 9mm

I have the Pro 5" barrel model and it shot low out of the box. I am assuming you are shooting 115gr bullets. If so, get some 124gr, they will bring you up close to POA/POI

Sorry, but no way to adjust elevation. As stated, you could try a couple of different loads. I would try the grip inserts. I found that to correct it on one of my guns.

Im the same with Jerry...I intially shot a ton with the medium grip insert, and was consistently low. Changed it to the small back strap and brought my POI right where it needed to be. Just out of curiosity what kind of sight hold are you using?

When my M&P9 was shooting low, I let a few other shooters give it a swing too. Shot low for all of them.

After some research online, its apparently not uncommon for the M&Ps to have a high front sight, therefore making shots go low.

I sent it to Smith and they replaced the front sight with a lower front sight. Now its dead on the money.

I would let some others give it a shoot, it may have out of spec sights.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JonnyHawes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When my M&P9 was shooting low, I let a few other shooters give it a swing too. Shot low for all of them.

After some research online, its apparently not uncommon for the M&Ps to have a high front sight, therefore making shots go low.

I sent it to Smith and they replaced the front sight with a lower front sight. Now its dead on the money.

I would let some others give it a shoot, it may have out of spec sights. </div></div>

There are no "out of spec" sights for the VTAC. There is only one way to order them.

So, would you buy this gun again or even recommend it to someone else? It looks badass but that's kind of a big deal that you had to send it back to the factory.

I bet if you reached out to Kyle Lamb directly he would have some insight. YouTube or Facebook, he is good at responding.

For what its worth, I have the VTAC rifle and it rocks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalDillhole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bet if you reached out to Kyle Lamb directly he would have some insight. YouTube or Facebook, he is good at responding.

For what its worth, I have the VTAC rifle and it rocks. </div></div>

Agreed. Kyle is a super nice guy. Known him for years.
Also agreed on the S&W VTAC rifle. I have the latest version with 1 in 8 twist, mid length gas system and Troy fore end. Great shooter!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JonnyHawes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shoot4fun -- You are correct sir. I posted without reading the whole story. Thanks for correcting that for me </div></div>

No problem.

You could also purchase an adjustable rear sight if you want to change your poi. I've also seen guys install extra tall front sights and file them down until poi is where you want it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B4forever</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could also purchase an adjustable rear sight if you want to change your poi. I've also seen guys install extra tall front sights and file them down until poi is where you want it. </div></div>

OK. Maybe you don't know about the VTAC sights. These sights are made by Trijicon for Kyle Lamb's company, VTAC (Viking Tactical). They are unique in the fact that they have tritium dots under fiber optic dots in order to provide optimal sight picture in all types of light. If you go with an adjustable rear you won't have the dots on the rear. If you file down the front sight it will destroy the FO part of the sight.
Many times, if one is transitioning from Glocks to M&P, the POA problem will be shooter induced. If that doesn't go away after a few hundred rounds of practice (using correct principles), the optimal ways to correct the OP's issue have been suggested; try other grip inserts or heavier bullet.