• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just got back from Apple with 2 iPhone 4's

USMCj

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 1, 2008
Nazzifornia
Im too tired to take any pics of the phone, I camped out last night at 8pm and got home at 10am, so needless to say I am tired as hell and need to get some sleep.

Here is a short video of what the line looked like at 10pm, by morning there was over 1000 people in line (I was #32 or something)

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5GsJ5XeWlQU"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5GsJ5XeWlQU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: Just got back from Apple with 2 iPhone 4's

why wouldn't you just go in next week and pick one up?

I have on reserved. How did that line look?

apple-iphone-l.gif

Wow, just wow.
My 1st generation is doing just fine. I'm going to upgrade soon but camping out?
Really? You just didn't have anything else to do?

Thanks for buying up 2 of these 1st run phones.
Please assist in the help of working out all the bugs before I buy mine.

I'm almost ready for an iPad too but I'll be damned if it will bought
by standing in any line taking more than 5-10 min @ the register.

Really though, have fun with them. Congrats

Hold it by the sides of the phone and watch the signal go down. There are plenty of YouTube vids of it happening already. Also, the screen can get yellow tints in it for some reason. Did you get the second one as a backup in case the first one craps out? I'm ribbing you though, have fun and I hope you got a good pair!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hold it by the sides of the phone and watch the signal go down. There are plenty of YouTube vids of it happening already. Also, the screen can get yellow tints in it for some reason. Did you get the second one as a backup in case the first one craps out? I'm ribbing you though, have fun and I hope you got a good pair!</div></div>

You have to bridge the gap on one side to cut the signal and if you use the Apple Bumper it won't happen... its sort of specific how you have to hold it in order for it too happen.

In some countries, people wait in a line like that for stale bread...here, we wait for gadgets.

I'll remember not to complain today. Thank you for the reminder.

The sides are antennas, for different radios (cellular, Wifi, BT).
You'd think they'd have tested them for interferences while bridging them with hand conductivity, but if the reports are true, than it seems you'd need a dielectric glove to talk with it
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hold it by the sides of the phone and watch the signal go down. There are plenty of YouTube vids of it happening already. Also, the screen can get yellow tints in it for some reason. Did you get the second one as a backup in case the first one craps out? I'm ribbing you though, have fun and I hope you got a good pair!</div></div>

You have to bridge the gap on one side to cut the signal and if you use the Apple Bumper it won't happen... its sort of specific how you have to hold it in order for it too happen. </div></div>

My luck, that's how I'd pick it up to answer it every time. But AT&T is twitchy in my area anyway, so I switched to Verizon and got a Droid. I have 3G service from VZW where I live and have no complaints. The iPhones look nifty and I'd probably have one if they weren't AT&T exclusive. I just have had too many problems from AT&T's billing department in the past to go back to them.

I have a 3 year old PDA phone that I will use until it dies. I had to laugh when the I Phone price dropped 100 bucks as soon as the numbers of suckers started to dwindle.....

Wow, some strong comments!

Ill try to answer some of the questions.

Why did I camp out? I had nothing better to do, and I had to have it today because I already sold my phone on ebay and need to get it shipped out asap and I didnt want to be without a phone.

No, I didnt get the second one as a backup, 1 for me and 1 for the wife. I always buy them in pairs.

I have never had a single one of these go bad on me, and I have owned them all! 1st gen, 3g, 3gs and now 4.

I tried to hold it so the signal goes down, but it stays at 3 bars in my home just like my 3GS. At any rate, I already ordered a set of Griffin Reveal cases, so I will not be touching the sides anyway. http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/reveal-iphone4

The campout was fun! a bunch of great and friendly guys and gals that ordered a shit load of pizzas and sodas and In-N-Out burgers for everyone in the line at the time (12 boxes of pizzas in total and 30 burgers) It was like a outside party more than anything els, loud music, watching movies on a couple of iPads and playing poker most of the night to kill time.

Am I tired, hell yes, but it was not boring to say the least.

Oh and the phone, kicks ass!!!!! Face Time is awesome, the speed is 2X 3gs speed. And the phone feels a lot more solid than prevoius models. And did I mention HD 30fps video?
laugh.gif

I am sort of bummed, I sat in front of the computer trying to pre-order the new iPhone and finally after trying all day I got my pre-order in about 9PM MST and after I did my confirmation said my phone wouldn't be here until July 2nd. However I did get a notice yesterday that my Iphone shipped and it will arrive on the 29th. Had i known that would have happened I would hit the Apple store in Cherry Creek instead of thinking the pre-order would put to the front of the line.

Still, can't wait.
smile.gif

Crap Frank that's only 4 days!! Not a bad wait vs camping out at store!!

Loving my new Droid.
That's all I have to say about that.
smirk.gif

Droid = Turbo Ghey

I tried one over the weekend and couldn't figure shit out on it... It's for people not cool enough to have an iPhone.

if you want I will sell you my 3Gs and you can jailbreak it and that way you can have a real fone

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Droid = Turbo Ghey </span>

I tried one over the weekend and couldn't figure shit out on it... It's for people not cool enough to have an iPhone.

if you want I will sell you my 3Gs and you can jailbreak it and that way you can have a real fone </div></div>

LOL!!! Sig line anyone?

NO way I want one. The money it costs for one could get me several 54G drums of serious race fuel, or pay for the tank I want. I'll stick with my Xenon and spend all my play dough on bikes, bourbon, and cigars.
Having seen the way the kids dominate Panty 6's iTouch...wait that just don't sound right.... either way, the thing is never charged

Droid is for folks that cant deal with ATT terrible service. Apple would triple sales if they got away from that shit service,lol. I would buy one if it was on Verizon.. so droid for me..:)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
if you want I will sell you my 3Gs and you can jailbreak it and that way you can have a real fone </div></div>

I hearby offer $50 USD
wink.gif

I would probably own an iPhone if it was on Verizon but Droid is pretty damn cool.

To each his own I guess. I got the iPhone 4 because I really wanted one, lol and because of Face Time. I can now see and talk to my kids when Im away from home. That alone is worth its weight in gold.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CDiPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Droid is for folks that cant deal with ATT terrible service. Apple would triple sales if they got away from that shit service,lol. I would buy one if it was on Verizon.. so droid for me..:) </div></div>

Triple their sales? lol now thats funny. They pre-sold 600K in 5 hours. Over 1K just at my local Apple store as of 2:30pm, 6.5 hours to go and they still had a lot of phones. They dont need more sales, I promise you that!

The fact that Verizon tries to rip off its customers every chance it gets will drive people away from apple if they ever went to Verizon. Att is not perfect, but Verizon is far worse!

Face time is definitely kick ass. Apple has always been innovative and that is definitely the coolest thing for me. Damn you got me wanting an iPhone haha.

$199 for a 16G is a damn good price too! You have to handle one to see the quality. It feels like something out of Bang & Olufsen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I tried one over the weekend and couldn't figure shit out on it... </div></div>

droidshort2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I tried one over the weekend and couldn't figure shit out on it... </div></div>

droidshort2.jpg
</div></div>I dont care who you are, thats fucking funny.

oh good, other people can get banned now instead

I haven't been keeping up this go-around, too much other crap going on at the moment. My question is did AT&T once again up the data plan price for the new version like they did before? Or did they force you to now go to the tiered usage plans?

I'm on the opposite cycle so it kind of sucks for me. I had the first one, and decided I didn't want to pay the premium to upgrade it when the 3G first came out. So when the 3GS came out I upgraded and the had to start paying more on the monthly "iphone data plan". I would have to pay the penalty to upgrade since I've only had the 3GS for a year. Looks nice though!

That's funny suit!

Hope you like your iPhone, I was gonna get one but went with an incredible on Verizon, it is smoking fast! And around here unless you pack cell tower shoved up your ass ATT doesn't get service.

I had a three hour wait to get mine tonight. Well worth the upgrade and wait. I heard there was a 12 hour wait for some earlier in the day. I guess they were still there when I arrived.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Droid = Turbo Ghey

You got it all wrong Frank. The Droid is for technical people who can do more than push a button. But I guess carrying around an apple not picked from a tree can be beneficial to some.

Standing by for my ban. Much respect Frank, but I couldn't resist.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phantasm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Lowlight said:
You got it all wrong Frank. The Droid is for technical people who can do more than push a button. </div></div>

Umm...does the iphone have any buttons on it?

Seems like technical people would know that

i used to work for verizon. rip-off. the stories i could tell you...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phantasm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Lowlight said:
You got it all wrong Frank. The Droid is for technical people who can do more than push a button. </div></div>

Umm...does the iphone have any buttons on it?

Seems like technical people would know that </div></div>

Hmmm one would think. I refer to those nasty little apple like icons as buttons. While the Droid has virtual buttons as well, they're not all apple'sqe. lol.

I was a dumbshit and didn't pre-order so I have to wait a couple weeks. People always talk shit about AT&T but I've never had one problem with service in my area.

Despite what people say I'll buy mine and be happy. I'm all kinds of excited about HD video.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4pEDDysCqyw"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4pEDDysCqyw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I have just the regular 3G Iphone and that thing is bad ass! I'm going to use it until it either dies or I can renew my contract and upgrade to the Iphone4. This phone honestly does everything but read my brain. I will never love another phone more than I do my Iphone...

BIG +1 for the Droid = Turbo Ghey
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i used to work for verizon. rip-off. the stories i could tell you... </div></div>

Axeman, do tell!

on a side note... anyone ever try to buy anything at the apple store with cash?
they look at you like you have 3 heads. then they have to take the cash, put it on a gift card, then swipe that through their system.

i got a 3G last year...looks like i'll have to get the new iphone shortly

I was able to keep my unlimited plan from AT&T, and even my iPad has the unlimited plan.

Cash? Who uses that, you walk in the Apple store, get what you need and from where you standing they whip out the handheld and you are checked out. When I get home the reciept is waiting for me in my inbox. No line, no cash register, no signatures, just fast and easy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigDKC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I haven't been keeping up this go-around, too much other crap going on at the moment. My question is did AT&T once again up the data plan price for the new version like they did before? Or did they force you to now go to the tiered usage plans?

I'm on the opposite cycle so it kind of sucks for me. I had the first one, and decided I didn't want to pay the premium to upgrade it when the 3G first came out. So when the 3GS came out I upgraded and the had to start paying more on the monthly "iphone data plan". I would have to pay the penalty to upgrade since I've only had the 3GS for a year. Looks nice though! </div></div>

They no longer offer unlimited data, now its $15 for 200MB or $25 for 2GB of data. BUT! If you already have the $30 unlimited data plan, you can keep it as long as you are a customer.

Does the new iphone have anything like the Swype keyboard?

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pTooBnKAdSw"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pTooBnKAdSw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was able to keep my unlimited plan from AT&T, and even my iPad has the unlimited plan.

Cash? Who uses that, you walk in the Apple store, get what you need and from where you standing they whip out the handheld and you are checked out. When I get home the reciept is waiting for me in my inbox. No line, no cash register, no signatures, just fast and easy. </div></div>

You're now marked with the sign of The Beast.

So what does the monthly service cost for one of these smart phones anyways? I usually pay about 45 dollars a month for my regular phone (Casio GzOne)and think that is too much. There isn't really anybody out there I wanna talk to that badly.

300 bucks for the phone plus a shitload for service?...No freakin thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was able to keep my unlimited plan from AT&T, and even my iPad has the unlimited plan.

Cash? Who uses that, you walk in the Apple store, get what you need and from where you standing they whip out the handheld and you are checked out. When I get home the reciept is waiting for me in my inbox. No line, no cash register, no signatures, just fast and easy. </div></div>

You're now marked with the sign of The Beast. </div></div>

I'm pretty sure you were issued a "sign" when you were born. its called a Social Security Number.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mac the knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So what does the monthly service cost for one of these smart phones anyways? I usually pay about 45 dollars a month for my regular phone (Casio GzOne)and think that is too much. There isn't really anybody out there I wanna talk to that badly.

300 bucks for the phone plus a shitload for service?...No freakin thanks. </div></div>

I pay 80 bucks a month. that covers my monthly minute plan, free nights and weekends, unlimited text and unlimited internet/data plan. For what I do with my phone, its WELL worth it!

Gee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GeeLeDouche</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mac the knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So what does the monthly service cost for one of these smart phones anyways? I usually pay about 45 dollars a month for my regular phone (Casio GzOne)and think that is too much. There isn't really anybody out there I wanna talk to that badly.

300 bucks for the phone plus a shitload for service?...No freakin thanks. </div></div>

I pay 80 bucks a month. that covers my monthly minute plan, free nights and weekends, unlimited text and unlimited internet/data plan. For what I do with my phone, its WELL worth it!

Gee</div></div> I guess that's not so bad, but they're gonna have to come down substantially to bring in customers like Me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mac the knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So what does the monthly service cost for one of these smart phones anyways? </div></div>

Verizon is $30/month for unlimited access (with new or renewed contract).
A dollar a day. That is in addition to your regular plan for minutes, text, etc.

We bought 4 phones and got the family share plan with 2000 minutes and 250 texts for my wife and I, and 500 for the kids.

Our bill is about $260 per month. Unlimited data on all phones.